Med Cuiseline with 17 year old

planaholic

We're looking at doing a Med cruise again next year but with a different company (we've done Disney and Carnival before)

Our daughter will be 17 and I'm looking at Royal Caribbean Jewell of the Seas, Celebrity Constellation and Norwegian Spirit.

How good are these ships for older teenagers (and for us too)? I'm also unsure about the age and size of the ships, are they updated?

Thanks for any help

I can only speak from our experience.

Last year my wife and I sailed on Royal out of Venice for a Med cruise. We were on the Rhapsody.

We sailed in mid July and there were families with older teens from all over the world.

All nationalities of kids all hanging together and having a great time.

(I'm thinking maybe our current world leaders should sit back, shut up, and hang with these kids for a few days)

Are you going to leave her on the ship or take her touring with you? Med. cruises are very port intensive. One or no sea days. You pay for the bells and whistles and never get to use them. Longs days on shore, all you want to do is shower, eat, and go to bed to get ready for the next day. As long as your teen can meet others her age, she won't need any fancy stuff. Book for the itinerary and not the ship or line. Do pay close attention to the length of time in ports. Some European lines have shorter port times...EM

We were on the same cruise as you last year ;)

If Carnival and Disney are your thing I think Royal is the next step IMO due to atmosphere. I also think NCL are awesome having just got off the Jade so that would also be a good choice.

We did Celebrity round the Med on a bigger ship and although it was elegant and we were treated well its not the best for families due to how sedate it felt in comparison to the above lines.

The Spirit is the oldest ship at 15-20 years old I think but got dry docked this year and if her refit is anything like the Jade's she will be great and I think the Jewel of the seas is about 10 or so years old and also had a recent refit. Not sure on the Constellation.

All the ships are aroun 2000-2500 passengers with Royal's being the biggest.

17 is an "odd" age for cruising....most older teens do not use the club, except to meet others of their age....then they do their own thing. Plenty to do on all ships, but a Med cruise is more about the ports than the ship. Pick according to the ports you wish to visit...the ship will be fine for the little time you'll be on her!