Cruise Ships Passing On the Mississippi

Raxter54

On our February Carnival Dream cruise this last February, we passed the Carnival Elation as it was returning to port. Really interesting to see.

I was researching cruises for next year, using the Cruise TT site to find out how crowded certain ports would be. I noticed that on February 26 of next year, The Carnival Dream, Norwegian Dawn, AND the Celebrity Equinox will be in NOLA. I've sailed twice from NOLA, and as far as I can see, there is only room for two ships to dock. Where would the 3rd one be located?

Turns out that the Equinox won't arrive in NOLA until 6:30 PM, so the Dawn and Dream will be gone. That would make for an interesting trip down the Mississippi for cruisers on those ships, since they will passing each other on the river. And cruisers on the Equinox will be passing 2 ships, which is a really rare occasion...

Dream will be at the Erato dock, Equinox at the Poland dock, and Dawn at the Julia dock per the Port of New Orleans web site. The Poland dock is down river from the French Quarter, were the other 2 are up river. Poland is not used for cruise ships yet, there has been talk of opening a cruise terminal at this dock. If all 3 ships are not in port at one time, I guess they will use Erato or Julia docks, since they are setup for cruise passenger service.

Edited by curcurt

Dream will be at the Erato dock, Equinox at the Poland dock, and Dawn at the Julia dock per the Port of New Orleans web site. The Poland dock is down river from the French Quarter, were the other 2 are up river. Poland is not used for cruise ships yet, there has been talk of opening a cruise terminal at this dock. If all 3 ships are not in port at one time, I guess they will use Erato or Julia docks, since they are setup for cruise passenger service.

The Equinox is scheduled to arrive in NOLA 2 1/2 hours after the Dream and Dawn are scheduled to depart. The Carnival Triumph will arrive the next day. I checked the Port of New Orleans cruise schedule, and it shows the Equinox using the Poland docks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

They list the Equinox stop as a port of call, which would explain why this dock is being used. At this time it is not setup as a cruise terminal, so getting passengers on and off for excursions would be easy, just like other port of calls.

I think they are having some Mardi Gras cruises. Fat Tuesday is the 28th.

Yes, it's listed as a Mardi Gras cruise, will be in port at NOLA for two days. The NOLA port schedule also shows the Balmoral from Fred Olsen cruise line also making a port call that week....

The port of New Orleans is in the process of revamping the Poland Avenue Wharf and will start building a cruise terminal there starting in October of this year.

They have been working on access issues for a year or so now, and they've already demolished a portion of the old warehouse.

http://corelserver1.portno.com:8083/UpcomingProjects1.pdf

The port of New Orleans is in the process of revamping the Poland Avenue Wharf and will start building a cruise terminal there starting in October of this year.

They have been working on access issues for a year or so now, and they've already demolished a portion of the old warehouse.

http://corelserver1.portno.com:8083/UpcomingProjects1.pdf

Nice. Maybe Royal Caribbean might come back to NOLA.