Brisbane Grain Terminal

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting to the Brisbane Grain Terminal at a reasonable price?

We shall be flying in to Brisbane airport and may have one or two nights in the city before embarking. Airport to city is ok as we can catch the airtrain but taxis out to the Grain Terminal are very expensive as far as I can tell. And presumably it would be horrendous if we had to go from the airport straight to the Grain Terminal.

Very grateful for any ideas from people who have been out to this wilderness recently - last time we were there the tent was flooded and suitcases were almost floating - very embarrassed when discussing this "port" with overseas visitors.

The website suggest the closest train station to the Grain Port is Wynnum North station. The train runs every half hour, from the city to wynnum north station is about 30 minutes. From Wynnum North to the port is about 10 km, so AUD $35 -40 for taxi ride.

Translink.com.au has all public transport timetable and fare info in Brisbane.

This is the Grain terminals info . https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/dac77dc0-f54e-47a5-a207-3c56b694e946

The website suggest the closest train station to the Grain Port is Wynnum North station. The train runs every half hour, from the city to wynnum north station is about 30 minutes. From Wynnum North to the port is about 10 km, so AUD $35 -40 for taxi ride.

Translink.com.au has all public transport timetable and fare info in Brisbane.

This is the Grain terminals info . https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/dac77dc0-f54e-47a5-a207-3c56b694e946

There is no public transport per se to the Grain Terminal. We will be tying up there next year on the Celebrity Solstice hence we have done some investigation on transport alternatives as the ship will be charging $A15 per head each way on a shuttle. We looked at taxis and the taxi / train option. The taxi direct to the city is a cheaper and more effective option than taxi / train. AS you are coming from the airport you will have to catch a train from the airport into the city and out again to Wyndum North. At the airport is a special airport gate fee which increases the train cost even more. This gate fee cannot be avoided. It is an ongoing toll if you like to pay for the airport line.

The cheapest option for you is a taxi direct from airport to grain terminal.

The tent has gone and they have a terminal at the Grain Wharf now. I agree. Bite the bullet and take a taxi....you want to start your holiday on a good note.

If you are staying in Brissy overnight you could ring around a few and get some quotes. is there a taxi shuttle service you could share with others on your cruise?

HI - Taxi is the only real option. I have done 4 cruises into the grain terminal, and getting a taxi to the grain terminal is much easier the getting a taxi from the terminal. on a QE costal cruise from Sydney, we waited 2 hours for a taxi. the cab company's were being called, but none would drive out as the terminal is a long one way drive. The line was long and people were not happy. every other cruise we have done after that we have taken the ships shuttle from the terminal, and taxi back.

I often work on the theory time is money. Sometimes the running around is not worth the money you save.

Yes, in this case with the locations of the airport and grain wharf being so remote, the only practical option is the taxi.

It cost me about $65-70 last time I did it.

For a taxi anywhere else, even if you can get the taxi cost down to about $35, you're then still up for $15x2 in train fares to the city say, so pretty close to the same cost - and you drag out the total time way more.

In the end, you might be able to save $5-10, but at the cost of lugging luggage between transport modes and locations, and adding a lot of time to the alternative. The taxi is the most viable option.

Note: sometimes shuttles are offered, in which case that may work out better, but they're often not available.

I would suggest download the Uber app to your mobile and you can do a quote to estimate fares.

I have used Uber in the US and Syd, Goldie and Brisbane and find them cheaper than cabs.

As a disclaimer I don't work for Uber or an Uber related co, just an Uber user.

Cheers

Steve