Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question How do you pack bottles of Vitamins & Prescriptions in carry on??

Hi, I'm counting on some help here we leave Sat. I take 4 prescriptions and my DH has 2, also I take about 6 different kinds of vitamins, I don't want to risk getting my checked luggage lost so really want to put in our carry on- can I we? I hope not in my 1 quart bag, they wouldn't fit, the vitamin bottles are big (Costco size vitamins) I did look at the tsa website but wasn't really clear what they meant, no jokes because I'm blonde , also what about lipstick (not gloss) and eye liner (pencil kind) does that go in quart bag also? Its not liquid so not too sure, also, I bought the 3oz travel size containers, can I just pour my hairspray in one, pour creams into another, perfume in on etc or do they have to be in the labeled original container which would then be checked bags. Which I could risk getting lost. What about travel size wipes too? I looked in the travel size dept. but they don't sell the things I use in those sizes I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I'm getting nervous because we leave in 3 days! I did look at the TSA site like I said so if you have had these situations please relate what you did, thank you very much!!! I'm sure this will help a lot of cruisers!

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

Yes you can.........you always take your medications in your carry on for the reasons you mentioned............I take 4 prescriptions and always take them in my carry-on and have never had a problem
Rhapsody 9/02-Western Caribbean
Splendour 4/03-Western Caribbean
Rhapsody, 9/03-Western Caribbean
Brilliance, 4/04-Panama Canal partial;
Caribbean Princess, 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Infinity, 4/05-Hawaii
Vision, 10/05-Mexican Riviera
Mariner, 4/06-Eastern Caribbean;
Radiance, 10/06-Panama Canal Transit
Jewel, 3/07-Eastern Caribbean;
Grandeur, 10/07-Canada/New England
Voyager, 4/08 - Western Caribbean
Voyager, 4/08-Western Caribbean B2B
Explorer, 10/08 - Canada Atlantic
Maui Land Tour 08
Pacific Princess, 8/09 - Alaska
Europe Land Tour 7/10
Eurodam - 10/10 - Eastern Caribbean
Star Princess - 4/11 - Eastern Caribbean Voyager
Jewel of the Seas - 10/11 - Boston to Tampa Repo
Golden Princess 4/12 Hawaii
Zuiderdam 10/12 Eastern Carribean
Emerald Princess 4/13 S. Carribean

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
5,000+ Club

It's best to keep your prescriptions in the original bottles in case they do check them. You just need to put liquids and gels in the quart zip lock and show that ot them separately.

MEMBER OF THE PBS

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Wow that was fast! So just put each bottle in my carry on not in a bag of some sort? The vitamins too? Don't worry about them not in the quart bag? One of the vitamins is Omega 3 which is a gel type pill, and one is a plastic coating with a powder in it, is that is ok you think (vitamins)? Thank you so much in advance!

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question

I want to clairify, the vitamins won't fit in a qt bag. too big, so if they have to go in a qt bag I guess I have to put them in a smaller container so they have to fit? They won't be allowed unless they are in the one only allowed qt bag? What about pouring from original containers to the 3 oz size that is ok? Thank you!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Between my husband & I, we have 6 different medications to take. I place all of them, in their original containers, into a bag in our carry on. No need to be pulled out if all are in pill form. Lipstick and other makeup that is not liquid may also go in your carryon and not be pulled out.

I've resorted to placing the shampoo/conditioner/hairspray in our checked luggage. All I carry in my ziplock is eyedrops, a small hand lotion, my contact case (as it contains liquied solution) and my makeup base. I pull it out of my backpack and throw it in the bin with my shoes. Never had a problem.

Nordic Empress 10/97, Monarch of the Seas9/98, Enchantment of the Seas 2/99, Vision of the Seas 1/00, Rhapsody of the Seas 1/01, Monarch of the Seas 12/01, Monarch of the Seas 12/02, Adventure of the Seas 10/03, Grandeur of the Seas 5/04, Majesty of the Seas 5/05, Sovereign of the Seas 8/05, Grandeur of the Seas 11/05, Jewel of the Seas 10/06, Serenade of the Seas 1/07, Empress of the Seas 10/07, Radiance of the Seas 2/08, Serenade of the Seas 12/09, NCL Jewel 3/14

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Leave the pills in their original containers so they can see what they are, they won't take your word for it that it is a vitamin if you put it into a different container. My husband travels two weeks out of the month with a decent amount of prescriptions and vitamins. They are all in one bag by themselves. The 3/1/1 applies to toiletries and stuff like that. One quart size ziploc per person with 3 ounce bottles of your shampoos and stuff like that.

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can carry all your meds and vitamins, etc. in your carry on bag....in fact that's exactly what you should do. Never pack meds in checked luggage. As for vitamins, I count out the number of pills I will need and put those in some type of a smaller bottle or case. I never bring large bottles if I can help it. I put all my meds, including aspirin, tylenol, etc. in plastic bag and keep them all together in a drawer in the cabin.

NCL NORWAY - 2000
GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001
GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002
HAL NOORDAM - 2002
HAL VOLENDAM - 2003
ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003
HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004
CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - FEB. 2005
STAR PRINCESS - APRIL, 2005
HAL VOLENDAM - OCT. 2005
CELEBRITY ZENITH - JAN. 2006
RCI ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS - OCT. 2006
HAL WESTERDAM - DEC. 2006
RCI JEWEL OF THE SEAS - JAN. 2007
RCI JEWEL OF THE SEAS - APRIL - 2007
RCI MARINER OF THE SEAS - SEPT. - 2007

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
5,000+ Club

I take a lot of vitamins each day and some of them are in huge bottles. I use snack size zip lock bags and put my daily vitamins in there. Sort of like using those pill boxes at home but these bags take up less space and each day's dose is already counted out.

Hope that helps.

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America

PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Prescriptions that are liquid are not included in the allowable allowance of 1 1-quart clear ziplock bag required for liquids.

Do not check your prescriptions! Always bring the prescription container that has the prescription label with your name on it on the outside. Failure to do so could result in numerous problems.

If your prescriptions are liquid, make sure they are closed tightly and put them into a plastic bag. Note: this is NOT for TSA, but for leaking caused by the air in the container expanding at altitude and causing liquids to leak. The plastic bag protects the items in your hand lugagge from possibly getting wet on those cases. If the bottle is flexible, I also open the container, squeeze the container until most of the air is out and then tightly close the container which leaves space for expansion at the lower pressure at higher altitude.

Each of your Non-prescription liquids must be in containers of a size no larger than 3 oz. and all liquid containers must fit in 1 quart size plastic ziploc type bag for TSA inspection. Note: a 4.5 oz tube of toothpaste that is half used is still a 4.5 oz. container in the eyes of TSA and is NOT allowed.

Larger non-prescription liquids in checked luggage. Also remove most of air from container if possible and close tightly, and then place all liquids in plastic bag so if they leak they will not damage contents of luggage. Do not place them near outside of bag as baggage handlers and machines throwing your luggage may result in containers being broken. I always put my liquids, usually sun screen and moisturizing lotion in a large sealed ziplock bag in the very center of my checked luggage.

Last edited by Fam_Cruise; March 21st, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

So a little ziplock for each type of vitamin, then label it? I would love to bring the bottles but they are from Costco and are of course big! But putting them in baggies labeled will fly with the TSA, the vitamins I mean, my prescriptions I will leave in the bottles just in case I get sick and they need to see what they are. So to be sure:

1 ziplock qt bag with toiletries 3 oz size, can be bought clear 3 oz travel size filled at home with preferred sprays, liquids but marked and chapsticks, makeup etc.

1 gallon ziplock with snack size ziplocks with labeled vitamins, and original bottles of prescriptions

Sorry to be so precise but just want to be sure! Thanks all you've once again saved a newbie CCer Gosh I love this site!!!
Lori

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Fam-cruise- thanks for your precise tips! Pill vitamins will be safe then just in the carry on in any size clear bag? When you said in the checked bag to squeeze air out, like opened shampoo and such? I would think leaving air in it would make it not explode, but I'm not a frequent flyer by any means, so I will do what you say, so to be sure - open the bottles and squeeze air so the liquid is to the top and the bottle is kind of sucked in right? With all my creams/shampoos in bottles right? What if they are not opened yet? Are glass perfume bottles ok? Thank you so much, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly and would hate to hold people up with the carry on. I have heard horror stories of peoples things getting thrown away because their checked bags are already checked when you walk in the airport. So I just want to be sure of carry on especially, I could just pack the vitamins in the checked but I'd hate to lose the luggage and not have them. Thanks again CCers! I love reading the responses!

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you want to take just the amount of Rx meds you'll need plus a couple extra days' worth just in case, ask your pharmacist to label smaller bottles for you. Most pharmacists are very willing to do this for you. Always carry on your meds.

Past Adventures: 5/2/14 Legend-Norwegian Fjords 8 nite, 4/16/14 Legend-Eastbound TA 16 nite, 1/18/14 Oasis-Western Caribbean 7 nite, 5/24/13 Radiance-Alaska Southbound 7 nite, 5/17/13 Radiance-Alaska Northbound 7 nite, 8/31/12 Jewel-West bound Transatlantic 16 nite, 3/11/12 Allure-Western Caribbean 7 nite, 6/17/11 Radiance-Alaska SB 7-nite, 6/10/11 Radiance-Alaska NB 7 nite, 3/13/11 Allure-Western Caribbean 7nite, 5/31/10 Jewel-Baltic 12 nite, 3/13/10 Oasis-Eastern Caribbean-7 nite, 6/12/09 Radiance-Alaska southbound 7 nite, 6/5/09 Radiance-Alaska northbound 7 nite, 3/15/09 Adventure-Southern Caribbean 7 nite, 12/27/08 Independence- Eastern Caribbean 8 night, 6/15/08 Legend-Eastern Med/Egypt 12 nt, 6/18/07 Jewel-British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 12 nt, 12/17/06 Freedom-Western Caribbean 7 nt, 5/19/06 Vision-Alaska 7 nt, 5/8/05 Adventure-Southern Caribbean 7 nt, 5/28/04 Jewel-Baltic 12 nt, 5/24/03 Splendour-Mediterranean 7nt, 6/12/01 Legend-Baltic 12 nt, 5/21/00 Voyager-Western Caribbean 7 nt, 5/22/99 Legend-Mediterranean 7 nt, 8/2/97 Enchantment-Mediterranean 7 nt, 5/26/96 Majesty-Western Caribbean 7 nt, 5/27/95 Sovereign-Eastern Caribbean 7 nt, 5/29/93 Sovereign-Eastern Caribbean 7 nt, 9/10/90 Premier Oceanic-Bahamas 4 nt.

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
5,000+ Club

I have a weekly pill sorter that I use. I used it when we flew to the UK also with no problems. I'd hate to have to pack all of the bottles. I guess I'm taking a chance.

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default follow up question

I am not flying, but will they check my pills in my carry on at the dock? I only want to take the amount for the total number of days and was wondering if it was ok to put a mix in the same bottle. I won't be going into any airports, dock only. Thanks!

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael123 View Post
I am not flying, but will they check my pills in my carry on at the dock? I only want to take the amount for the total number of days and was wondering if it was ok to put a mix in the same bottle. I won't be going into any airports, dock only. Thanks!
You do run the risk of being checked at customs. It doesn't happen terribly often, but yes, it would be running a risk.

previous cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, Carnival and Princess

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdEyes View Post
I have a weekly pill sorter that I use. I used it when we flew to the UK also with no problems. I'd hate to have to pack all of the bottles. I guess I'm taking a chance.
The TSA isn't very consistent from my husband's experiences. He has had vitamins taken away, unknowinly carried a small swiss army knife through security in Boston to have in then confiscated while making a connection in Denver and also had a major problem with a leg brace going through security in Boston. We had specifically looked up TSA rules concerning braces after my husband had an injury and had printed the rules out just in case. A screener in Boston told him he had to take off the brace and he refused because that is not what the rules state. After some discussion, he was able to have a supervisor confirm that he was correct. He had to have the brace swabbed down and tested for explosives but he was able to continue on with his trip. Another reason to allow for tons of time getting through the airport. So he now carries smaller bottles of vitamins that we have purposed for traveling and he fills them with the BJ mega bottles to save money.

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Between my DH and myself, we take around 12 different RX medications. I always bring them in their original containers in my carry-on bag. Yes, they are bulky and they take up alot of space, but you never know when TSA officials or Customs officials are going to want to inspect them. If they ask to see them and they are not in their original containers, they can be confiscated. I've never been asked about them, but it's better to be safe than sorry as I would hate to be without my meds.

Michele

DIAMOND DAME!

check out my cruise pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/MickiDee41

RCCL Vision/Mexican Riviera 11/08
RCCL Jewel/Western Caribbean 1/08 B2B
RCCL Jewel/Eastern Caribbean 1/08 B2B
RCCL Enchantment/Western Caribbean 10/07
RCCL Sovereign /Bahamas 3/07
RCCL Brilliance/ Panama Canal 12/06
RCCL Enchantment /Western Caribbean 11/05
CCL Imagination / Western Caribbean 2/04
RCCL Enchantment/ Western Caribbean 11/03
Big Red Boat/ Bahamas 12/95

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
The TSA isn't very consistent from my husband's experiences. He has had vitamins taken away, unknowinly carried a small swiss army knife through security in Boston to have in then confiscated while making a connection in Denver and also had a major problem with a leg brace going through security in Boston. We had specifically looked up TSA rules concerning braces after my husband had an injury and had printed the rules out just in case. A screener in Boston told him he had to take off the brace and he refused because that is not what the rules state. After some discussion, he was able to have a supervisor confirm that he was correct. He had to have the brace swabbed down and tested for explosives but he was able to continue on with his trip. Another reason to allow for tons of time getting through the airport. So he now carries smaller bottles of vitamins that we have purposed for traveling and he fills them with the BJ mega bottles to save money.
Wow! Good thing you printed the rules out. I know I'm taking a chance, but my script bottles are so big....I get a 3-month supply.

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdEyes View Post
Wow! Good thing you printed the rules out. I know I'm taking a chance, but my script bottles are so big....I get a 3-month supply.
My bottles are huge too, but I'm just so afraid that the one time I don't pack them in their original containers will be the one time they decide to check...so I will continue to haul the "medicine cabinet" with me every time I travel.

Michele

DIAMOND DAME!

check out my cruise pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/MickiDee41

RCCL Vision/Mexican Riviera 11/08
RCCL Jewel/Western Caribbean 1/08 B2B
RCCL Jewel/Eastern Caribbean 1/08 B2B
RCCL Enchantment/Western Caribbean 10/07
RCCL Sovereign /Bahamas 3/07
RCCL Brilliance/ Panama Canal 12/06
RCCL Enchantment /Western Caribbean 11/05
CCL Imagination / Western Caribbean 2/04