Organizing Accessories at Home

So, for months I have been saying that I need to convert one of my hall closets into an accessory closet. Well, I finally decided to convert the walls in my guest bedroom into accessory walls. I figure that I am not the only fashionista with way too many accessories, so I thought I would share the inspiration, design, and construction of the accessory wall(s).

The inspriration came from Indiana71 over on the Caribbean-Cruising Fashionista thread and these pictures on Pinterest:

ae9a253ce4a5cb1640c7f1683627d586_zpsef60e877.jpg

c9ec6b24c87f21694a1d290d61d876b3_zpsec37ce8a.jpg

With all of these things in mind, I decided to go shopping. But, where to start??? Well, my fellow fashionistas are always talking up the thrift shops. So of course I went there as well as some local antique shops.

I love the idea of picture frames with the wire netting inserted in them, so I bought these frames:

DSCF0020_zps8c2f48a7.jpg

DSCF0019_zpsdab7baf1.jpg

DSCF0016_zpsc63f544b.jpg

DSCF0022_zps081dac01.jpg

Lisa

The pictures in the frames do not matter since I would be removing the picture and glass from the frames. Some of the other things I purchased were:

eBay purchase

photo2_zps526f9826.jpg

Thrift Shop $5

DSCF0033_zps8bd66760.jpg

Thrift Shop $2 each

DSCF0032_zps941ce26d.jpg

Thrift Shop $3 for the pair

DSCF0030_zps8ce8ebe0.jpg

Thrift Shop $2 (for sunglasses)

DSCF0029_zps6f6769c9.jpg

Thrift Shop $5

DSCF0028_zps885cf554.jpg

More to come

Lisa

More purchases...

Thrift Shop $2

DSCF0027_zps4fc2a81c.jpg

Thrift Shop tray for $3...trust me this has potential.

DSCF0026_zps257f125f.jpg

Thrift Shop $3 for the pair

DSCF0025_zps64441ff9.jpg

Thrift Shop $1...sold wood and beveled

DSCF0024_zps6ea9eeec.jpg

Thrift Shop $6 for the pair...18" brass candle sticks

DSCF0021_zps899a9cd5.jpg

Thrift Shop $5

DSCF0014_zps53a9c6d2.jpg

Lisa

Today was the beginning of the spray painting. My guest bedroom is a pale blue, so I decided to go with royal blue and white for the accessory wall. I divided my haul into white and blue piles. Today I spray painted the blue pile. I went with a gloss blue paint and primer spray paint. I mean, why do more steps than necessary, right?

Those brass candle sticks turned into this...

photo1_zps11659061.jpg

If you are wondering what I will use the candlesticks for, well my bracelets are going to be stacked on them.

My garage turned into a paint shop...

DSCF0040_zps1a056295.jpg

Oh, and this is how I roll in the paint shop. My homemade buff kept the paint out of my hair.

DSCF0039_zps00b4e02c.jpg

Lisa

As long as I was at it, I decided to make over the furniture too. Walt will be helping me with a fabricated headboard. Here is the mini makeover I did today:

Bookcase that my Dad made me 40 years ago...before and after

DSCF0041_zps3f951689.jpg

DSCF0042_zps59f460b5.jpg

DSCF0043_zps884b8fa1.jpg

1970ish dresser by Dixie before-ish and after...obviously I have painted this once before.

DSCF0047_zps1fb490e2.jpg

DSCF0048_zpsd996faf9.jpg

Lisa

Lisa

this is so cool !!! Love your ideas !!

I do crafts ( stamping and scrapbooking) and Dave took hardwood and made steel brackets for underneath and put them up as very narrow shelving :-) one of the hardwood lengths is just wide enough for putting my stamps on so I can see them easily when I go into my craft room :-)

Looking forward to more posts :-)

Cathie

Lisa,

What can I say, you are just a creative genius!:D You really have an eye for picking out great things when you shop. I can't wait to see what your accessory wall looks like when you're done.

I've used stand-up, paper towel holders on which I pile up my plastic bangles of which I have like a gazillion. Old, new, and vintage. I also bought, for $5 a piece, two tall metal t-bar stands from a clothing store that went out of business in our mall and was selling off all their fixtures. I wish I would have bought more but I could only carry two (they are heavy). I hang some of my short necklaces from one and use the shorter one for more bracelets.

I also have a cabinet in our bedroom closet (it's a big walk-in) with three shelves and a door where I keep my good jewelry (vintage, pins, bracelets, necklaces, and special jewelry that has been given to me over the years by my mom, aunts, my BFFs mom before she passed). I also have an antique dresser in the guestroom and I use two of it's big drawers for the rest of my costume jewelry...again I've got tons of it. I also have about 5 straw baskets full of plastic bracelets and several glass boxes and jars full of earrings and vintage rhinestone pins. I also have two jewelry boxes full of vintage rhinestone jewelry "sets" (necklaces with matching earrings; some with matching bracelets and pins) which were given to me by my mom and my aunt before she died.

Don't get me started on sunglasses, hats, scarves, shoes, handbags, and gloves!:eek: I have tons of those also!

I just love my accessories! My BFF, says he's going to help me organize all my stuff and help me have one big garage sale one of these days. To which I say, not happening! LOL!

FYI to all you gals: Michael's craft store has a large variety of items for displaying, hanging, and storing jewelry at very reasonable prices.

Edited by mousey

Thanks y'all for the compliments. Mousey, I love vintage silk scarves. I have so many that I could probably wear a different one for two months before repeating. I live next to a town that has over 40% of the population 70+. The thrift shops there are a gold mine for vintage clothes and accessories.

I also love pins, earrings, and of course hats. I saw a fantastic vintage hat stand at an antique store, but it's not for sale. Bummer. Now I am trying to find one I like to add to the corner of the room. And it will be painted blue. There is not much I can't do with a can of spray paint, some contact paper, and fabric. Luckily Walt is great at wood work and has a dedicated workshop in the basement to construct my ideas.

Today it is raining, so I won't be able to spray paint. Humidity is way too high for it to dry correctly. So, perhaps we will go to JoAnn's and Michael's and browse for some more do-dads. :D

Lisa

Thanks y'all for the compliments. Mousey, I love vintage silk scarves. I have so many that I could probably wear a different one for two months before repeating. I live next to a town that has over 40% of the population 70+. The thrift shops there are a gold mine for vintage clothes and accessories.

I also love pins, earrings, and of course hats. I saw a fantastic vintage hat stand at an antique store, but it's not for sale. Bummer. Now I am trying to find one I like to add to the corner of the room. And it will be painted blue. There is not much I can't do with a can of spray paint, some contact paper, and fabric. Luckily Walt is great at wood work and has a dedicated workshop in the basement to construct my ideas.

Today it is raining, so I won't be able to spray paint. Humidity is way too high for it to dry correctly. So, perhaps we will go to JoAnn's and Michael's and browse for some more do-dads. :D

Lisa

Make sure that you bring your coupons with you. If not you can get them at Joanns web site.

Here is a before and after of the ornate metal frame. Walt and I went to JoAnn's today to search for fabric. The glass bows out, so I decided that using a spray adhesive with fabric would be the best route to go.

OrnateMetalFrameBeforeandAfter_zpsf054c446.jpg

This afternoon I was talking to my mom and discovered that she had 2 dress forms that she would ship to me. Years ago when a boutique was going out of business she purchased the dress forms for my sister's art project. Lyss used all be 2 of them, so now they are mine. :D My dad gets to figure out how to ship these...that should be fun.

Lisa

Cat and Lisa...wow...you have some great guys there!:D

Lisa,

I love the way your frame came out and the color and fabric that you chose. Again, you are so creative...have you thought of going on Etsy and selling some of your creative crafts? I think you'd get rich fast!:p

I absolutely can't wait to see your finished accessory wall. I just know it's going to be awesome!:D

Cat,

I took Art History classes for a few years just for the fun of it and because I love art, and I must say, I love your painting. How wonderful a surprise was that! And Happy Birthday...whenever it was/is!

Such great ideas and you are doing a beautiful job! Will you have a place where you can stage your outfits? I'd find that helpful for planning work clothes --- and for holidays!

Once day I'll have a spare room that will become my dressing room & closet. I'd love to get purses, accessories & shoes all out so I can see them!

Such great ideas and you are doing a beautiful job! Will you have a place where you can stage your outfits? I'd find that helpful for planning work clothes --- and for holidays!

Once day I'll have a spare room that will become my dressing room & closet. I'd love to get purses, accessories & shoes all out so I can see them!

I have a rolling rack that comes out for trip planning. And depending on what the "torsos" that my parents have shipped to me look like, I may use them for staging. My mom voiced a concern that I will paint the forms, but I told her I would not have Smurf blue torsos in my guest room.

Lisa