Cruising from Melbourne to New Zealand

skyboy

We are thinking about booking the Celebrity Solstice in November and I was wondering if someone can tell me if it can get rocky in the seas when traveling from Melbourne to New Zealand? Thanks!

We are thinking about booking the Celebrity Solstice in November and I was wondering if someone can tell me if it can get rocky in the seas when traveling from Melbourne to New Zealand? Thanks!

It sure can be.

We are currently in the middle of the Tasman Sea today onboard Ovation of the Seas and it's a beautiful day with a slight swell. As others have said it can be the luck of the draw but in the eight Trans Tasman crossings we've done over the years today is the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are currently in the middle of the Tasman Sea today onboard Ovation of the Seas and it's a beautiful day with a slight swell. As others have said it can be the luck of the draw but in the eight Trans Tasman crossings we've done over the years today is the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whereas all mine have been rough.

Just shows it will be what it will be.

Please advise what cruises across the Tasman you are planning in the future. :D

We had 5 metre seas on our last Solstice cruise. It was fine. She handled it very well.

It's a matter of perspective and choice of ship too. On a large modern ship unless the seas is extremely rough it will be pleasant enough. When we crossed the swells were large but the ship coped and there was just gentle pitching.

The only truly rough experience we've had was on an end-of-life P&O rust bucket (with broken stabilisers too) going out to some Pacific Islands. The only people at breakfast in the buffet one morning were those taking the right type of drugs - I joke not but there were perhaps ten people at peak breakfast time.

There are many discussions about the crossing of the Tasman Sea here. It is frequently rough. Our experience is one rough, one moderate. However, no one can predict what it will be for you.

Agree above with the smart CruiserBruce and others that things could be rough or mild. Do you feel lucky?? It's impossible to predict and know for certain, even on larger, modern ships such as the Solstice. Below in my live/blog are lots of pictures and details what you can enjoy in New Zealand, on the ship, etc.

Yes, to be honest, we had some roughness on our trip from Tasmania to the South Island of New Zealand. You cold, challenging waters coming up from Antarctica that clash with warm, different waters from the Pacific Ocean. My point, in perspective, would be that the "PRIZE" for what you can enjoy in these two amazing countries with such fun, interesting people is well worth it!!! The flights are long, long to get there. BUT, again, it is well worth it based on our experiences that I have documented below.

Added questions, info needs??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

We have cruised the world, including Drake Passage and the roughest seas we have had were the Tasman Sea....TWICE!!....10 metre swells and hurricane force winds. The ships had to slow down to handle the seas. The first time, we were on the Sapphire Princess and were blown off course and missed Tasmania completely and the second time, we were on the Dawn Princess and arrived into Sydney 7 hours late.

But as previous posters have said, it is the luck of the draw and how the Weather Gods are feeling!

Edited by Fletch1