New to NCL need advice

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE

Hello everyone we just booked our first cruise on NCL we will be sailing on the Pearl. While we have sailed most other lines we would love some info on NCL before we cruise. We have a few questions kids club do you need to book in advance or just when we get on board.our DS is 4. Not sure about dining in the main dining room is it anytime or traditional.

Please any suggestions for us newbies on NCL would be very much appreciated thank you everyone for all your help.

Thank you for the info. I know on princess they are aware before you board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, NCL is aware before you board that you have a 4 year old traveling with you, but I guess it's possible that some families might not sign up the child?

Mine will be in the teens club, but one of the parents still needs to go down and do the sign up process. I think for older kids, it's more important for them to attend the first night activities, since that's when the initial friendships are created. Four year olds are more flexible, and it probably won't matter as much if you miss the first night activities.

Have fun! It's a great way to be able to get grown-up and family time on the same trip

Well -- off the top of my head........no need to dress up unless you want to (I do, love dressing up). If you want to do any specialty dining, think about making at least one or two reservations in advance. They take a limited number online (100 days ahead for suites, and I believe 90 days out for other category cabins). Otherwise, make the reservations on the first day if there is any particular restaurant you really want to try.

You can review dailies people have posted -- just look thru the review threads here and you will find some. That gives you a good idea of the kinds of things that are offered.

And if you have any specific questions, ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are happy to help

We love the Pearl and am sure you will too. The best place to have breakfast is all the way through the buffet and on the back of the ship - its call The Great Outdoors. You can get the same types of food out there so don't worry about getting food in line inside. Get out there, find an open table and then you and son get food while your husband guards the table.

There isn't a formal night but there are people that dress up. You can eat in either of the 2 main dinning rooms at any time - there might be a wait depending on the time you go but there are video screens around the areas that show wait times - if any.

The carpet on the floors in the hallway have fish on them. The way the fish are pointed/swimming is towards the front of the ship.

We avoid the buffet when we first get on the ship, its so packed. Go to the pool deck and you can get food right there - burgers, hotdogs etc.

Like others said just ask away and you will get a bunch of hints to help you.

Thank you everyone for all the great info very much appreciated. So the specialty restaurants I have heard there are a few on board is it easy to find out which ones you have to pay for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look on the NCL website and click in the tab, "learn about our cruises", then ships, you can see what's on board and there will be a list of the restaurants on the Pearl and which ones are complementary and which ones have an upcharge.

Edited by drvalo

Hello everyone we just booked our first cruise on NCL we will be sailing on the Pearl. While we have sailed most other lines we would love some info on NCL before we cruise. We have a few questions kids club do you need to book in advance or just when we get on board.our DS is 4. Not sure about dining in the main dining room is it anytime or traditional.

Please any suggestions for us newbies on NCL would be very much appreciated thank you everyone for all your help.

No need to sign up the little one for kids club, just visit them the afternoon you board the ship. I am sure you son will have a great time. I don't know of a kid that has not loved the kids club.

Dinner is open dining. On rare occassion there may be a short wait, but usually it isn't more than a couple of minutes, depending on the time you like to dine. The busiest time seems to be when they first open and again about 7 or 7:30.

The only suggestion I can think of right now: make sure when using the buffet you avoid the busy time; expect lines around 9am, and 12 ish. You may want to try eating outside in the Great Outdoors area. You wll want to try O'Sheehans at least once as well. It does get mixed reviews. I can't remember what I had I was really disappointed in: oh, I know, it was the Rubin sandwich.

Unless you are really into dressing up don't even bother to bring along formal or after 5 clothes. More people will not be dressed even on formal optional nights than will. Well of course most will be dressed, but not in formal wear. And there is one MDR that even allows shorts at dinner time. The only place where you find a stricter dress code is the one MDR and Le Bistro. Even then it isn't really dressy. Hubby can be comfortale in a nice polo shirt or sport shirt and nice but comfortable pants.

One of the main dining rooms will also be open for lunch on embarkation day.

. . . being your first time on NCL you should also follow - don't have to post unless you wish - your NCL Roll Call for your cruise.

Their Kids program is rated 2nd to Disney and we have had several vacations where the kids with us didn't want to leave to have dinner with us. . . . . .