Seeing whales from the ship

CruisingSince2012

Can it be done? I have no time for a whale watching tour in Juneau and there is no such thing in Skagway or Ketchikan so my only chance seems to be from the ship. There is a half hour photo stop at Tracy Arm. The ship also goes to Glacier Bay. Is there a good chance I can see whales (or any other marine mammals) if I look for them on the ship?

If you put in a lot of time out on deck (and even watching from a window seat while you eat) you will see whales. We have seen numerous whales from the ship on each of our trips. Not all of them are close, but you will see them, even if only at a distance.

Are you on HAL?? With both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm on your itinerary??

Are you willing to spend a great deal of time, out on deck, forward viewing with a good pair of wide angle binoculars?? Are you going to be satisfied with hours of "waiting" for a 1 minute view? :)

Post your itinerary- with the times and I will tell you possible areas of humpback feeding areas.

Are you on HAL? With both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm on your itinerary?

Are you willing to spend a great deal of time, out on deck, forward viewing with a good pair of wide angle binoculars? Are you going to be satisfied with hours of "waiting" for a 1 minute view?

Post your itinerary with the times and I will tell you possible areas of humpback feeding areas.

Yes, I will be on the Volendam.

August 12: Depart Vancouver 5:00

August 13: Cruise Inside Passage

August 14: Tracy Arm 10:00-10:30

August 14: Juneau 1:00-10:00

August 15: Skagway 7:00-8:00

August 16: Glacier Bay 7:00-4:00

August 17: Ketchikan 10:00-6:00

August 18: Cruise Inside Passage

August 19: Debark in Vancouver

You mention humpbacks. What about orcas?

We were on the Volendam with that itinerary last week. I bought a book onboard that details the Inside passage, including coordinates. Then watch the TV to see where the ship is actually positioned. The book tells you where you have the best chances of seeing whales, among other things. I spent about an hour on our balcony with a good pair of binoculars and counted 15 whales, although they were off in the distance. Not the same experience you would have on a small boat on a true whale watch, though. Enjoy your cruise!

Total fluke I'm sure, but last May on the Volendam we saw a whale right off the front of the ship from the Crow's Nest while docked in Skagway. It was so amazing. It was right next to the ship and just hung out swiming around near the ship for quite a while.

I joked that I shouldn't have spent all that money on a whale watch tour in Juneau.

We were on the Volendam with that itinerary last week. I bought a book onboard that details the Inside passage, including coordinates. Then watch the TV to see where the ship is actually positioned. The book tells you where you have the best chances of seeing whales, among other things. I spent about an hour on our balcony with a good pair of binoculars and counted 15 whales, although they were off in the distance. Not the same experience you would have on a small boat on a true whale watch, though. Enjoy your cruise!

That is awesome. I think a picture book is a great souvenir.

Is that a total count or did you see 15 whales in a small area?

Seeing whales from the ship is a by chance occurrence compounded by the fact that ships have to stay some distance from any whales. Because they are some distance away and by the time you get binoculars on what you think is a whale all you are seeing is a tail. Orcas are playful, travel in pods of a dozen or more and can be seen from the ship on occasion as they swim along. However the Dall's Porpoise which is smaller than an Orca is often confused with an Orca as they have much the same colouring.

Yes, I will be on the Volendam.

August 12: Depart Vancouver 5:00

August 13: Cruise Inside Passage

August 14: Tracy Arm 10:00-10:30

August 14: Juneau 1:00-10:00

August 15: Skagway 7:00-8:00

August 16: Glacier Bay 7:00-4:00

August 17: Ketchikan 10:00-6:00

August 18: Cruise Inside Passage

August 19: Debark in Vancouver

You mention humpbacks. What about orcas?

For orcas, out prior to dawn 8-13 and staying out from afternoon through evening 8-18, meaning- HOURS and not having any priority for dining rooms etc. You should have success seeing them, if intent on investing the time to see orcas.

You DO know, you will NOT be going to Tracy Arm- unless you purchase the add on cruise ship excursion? Good opportunity for humpbacks from dawn that day.

Humpbacks, sea otters, sea lions, puffins possible, from dawn Glacier Bay day. From the entrance- it is at least 3 hour to the glaciers.

Seeing whales from the ship is a by chance occurrence compounded by the fact that ships have to stay some distance from any whales. Because they are some distance away and by the time you get binoculars on what you think is a whale all you are seeing is a tail. orcas are playful, travel in pods of a dozen or more and can be seen from the ship on occasion as they swim along. However the Dall's Porpoise which is smaller than an orca is often confused with an orca as they have much the same coloring.

I won't have to waste time getting binoculars with a camera in my pocket.

Of course, I know anything is better than nothing, even if it is just a tail, spout, or dorsal fin.

I won't have to waste time getting binoculars with a camera in my pocket.

Of course, I know anything is better than nothing, even if it is just a tail, spout, or dorsal fin.

Binoculars are necessary. Most attempts of photos from a cruise ship are going to be a waste of time. :) You can see way more with binoculars.

just got back from Alaska a few days ago from the Coral Princess. i didn't try hard to see whales, but i saw humpback whales at the following places:

Snow Passage (inside passage) in the afternoon. barely saw 2 humpbacks.

Glacier Bay in the afternoon. very clearly 2 humpbacks swam on the starboard side about 200-300 ft away opposite direction of the boat.

either way, you need to a) have super strong binoculars (i had 8x30, which are so-so), b) be ready when the naturalist/park rangers aboard tells you to look (hopefully your boat will have those), c) be on the deck so you can swing between port/starboard based on when people see the whale, d) be in a place where a lot of people are looking (it's easy to miss things, but if someone sees something, everybody will go over and look).

Edited by dannik

Binoculars are necessary. Most attempts of photos from a cruise ship are going to be a waste of time. :) You can see way more with binoculars.

I agree. Many times when you see whales from the ship, they are just spouts, humps and tails, that you can barely make out even with binoculars. No chance of getting photos of those. In the rare case that you see them close enough to not need binoculars, it's still often not close enough to get a photo unless you have a pretty good camera, and even then it would depend on being quick enough.

Seeing whales from the ship and seeing them on a whale watch tour are completely different experiences. If you really want to see whales, book the tour!

I agree. Many times when you see whales from the ship, they are just spouts, humps and tails, that you can barely make out even with binoculars. No chance of getting photos of those. In the rare case that you see them close enough to not need binoculars, it's still often not close enough to get a photo unless you have a pretty good camera, and even then it would depend on being quick enough.

Seeing whales from the ship and seeing them on a whale watch tour are completely different experiences. If you really want to see whales, book the tour!

I definitely would have booked a whale watching tour if there was time for that! Unfortunately it would not give me enough time at the Mendenhall Glacier and I also want to see the salmon hatchery. If the hours in Juneau were much earlier, I would have time for both, but I am excited about seeing Tracy Arm.

I definitely would have booked a whale watching tour if there was time for that! Unfortunately it would not give me enough time at the Mendenhall Glacier and I also want to see the salmon hatchery. If the hours in Juneau were much earlier, I would have time for both, but I am excited about seeing Tracy Arm.

You already have the add on Tracy Arm tour booked?

I would not give any priority to the hatchery.

None of my business what you do and I'm certainly not the expert that Budget Queen is but I have done the hatchery and I can tell you it's not that exciting. Whale watching in Juneau is WAY better. We are doing the same excursion I've done in the past, whale watching and Mendenhall with Orca Enterprises. Mendenhall is great but you really can do it in an hour. We are in port the same times you are. I would strongly recommend you change your tour. Whales from the ship are few and far between and not close like you will be on a private tour. The previous tour we took was the highlight of our cruise. This time, we are hoping the Anan Creek bear excursion will be the highlight.

Happy Cruising!

None of my business what you do and I'm certainly not the expert that Budget Queen is but I have done the hatchery and I can tell you it's not that exciting. Whale watching in Juneau is WAY better. We are doing the same excursion I've done in the past, whale watching and Mendenhall with Orca Enterprises. Mendenhall is great but you really can do it in an hour. We are in port the same times you are. I would strongly recommend you change your tour. Whales from the ship are few and far between and not close like you will be on a private tour. The previous tour we took was the highlight of our cruise. This time, we are hoping the Anan Creek bear excursion will be the highlight.

Happy Cruising!

So it takes only one hour to see the entire visitor center and walk on two trails? I read complaints about 75 minutes not being enough time at Mendenhall.

Although unusual, we had better whale sightings from the ship during our recent 14 day than we did on two whale watch tours in Juneau. I can’t imagine not going on an organized whale watch tour when in Juneau but these two trips out were nearly uneventful. I have to note though that I spend hours on deck and in the Crow’s Nest looking for them beginning early in the morning.

Budget Queen had an excellent comment in this thread about being satisfied with short glimpses after looking for hours.

So it takes only one hour to see the entire visitor center and walk on two trails? I read complaints about 75 minutes not being enough time at Mendenhall.

We only did the visitor center and part of one of the trails because of time constraints. Again, Alaska is about choices. I thought it was once in a lifetime but I'm going back because of what we missed last time. I'm just telling you, IMHO, a whale watching tour is not to be missed. Everyone has their opinions.

I was referring to the half hour photo stop at TA on the way to Juneau. Without that, I would have thought about doing a Tracy Arm excursion.

If I understand correctly, your ship is NOT going to Tracy Arm. You have a service stop where people get off the ship onto a smaller boat for an excursion into Tracy Arm. It is not a "photo" stop and you won't be anywhere near the glaciers.

I agree that a whale watch is much more worthwhile than the hatchery. I haven't been to the one in Juneau, but we have one here in my town in WA, and I'd rather go whale watching any day!