Seeing whales from the ship

CruisingSince2012

If I understand correctly, your ship is NOT going to Tracy Arm. You have a service stop where people get off the ship onto a smaller boat for an excursion into Tracy Arm. It is not a "photo" stop and you won't be anywhere near the glaciers.

I agree that a whale watch is much more worthwhile than the hatchery. I haven't been to the one in Juneau, but we have one here in my town in WA, and I'd rather go whale watching any day!

WHAT? If people are getting off at Tracy Arm, how can I not be anywhere near glaciers, especially considering the fact that it is listed on the itinerary?

Even if it is not technically a photo stop, I certainly will use it as one.

Like I said before, I don't want to be rushed at Mendenhall Glacier.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

First trip was Seattle round trip w/ kids, we saw a few whales, mostly incidentally. Next two were one ways, NB and SB. I focused more on spotting them and lost count... literally scores of them and on the NB that did Glacier Bay we probably saw a hundred throughout the trip.

Here are some pics taken probably 60 miles north of Ketchikan:

th_IMG_4175_zps04bd8776.jpg

th_IMG_4176_zpsc52968c7.jpg

This one I blew up... it was right off the bow, but the glare could not have been worse.

th_IMG_4178-CopyrevI_zps294e61b3.jpg

Porpoises?

th_IMG_4196_zps1b50b86a.jpg

WHAT? If people are getting off at Tracy Arm, how can I not be anywhere near glaciers, especially considering the fact that it is listed on the itinerary?

They stop at the entrance to Tracy Arm and people offload to a smaller boat to transit Tracy Arm. The ship continues on to Juneau and the small boat brings the people back to port later on where they can wander around then board the ship.

I think you need to look at a map. Find Tracy Arm on Google Maps. Turn on satellite view. You can clearly see where the glaciers are, one at the very end and one off a small inlet where only small boats can go. The passengers will disembark your ship onto a smaller boat near the inlet to Tracy Arm. You won't be anywhere near those glaciers and definitely not able to see them. You can take all the photos you want, but there may not be much to see.

Try this link to see the map.

I was referring to the half hour photo stop at TA on the way to Juneau. Without that, I would have thought about doing a Tracy Arm excursion.

Sorry you are NOT going to Tracy Arm. that half hour is only for transferring to the passengers to the add on tour. Again you are NOT entering Tracy Arm- which is a 30 mile dead end to the twin North and South Sawyer Glaciers. As already mentioned- take a look at a map. This is typical, and accurate for HAL.

You have NO photo stop, with making some very wrong assumptions.

I've mentioned several time, the necessity to book the add on ship tour- IF you want to see Tracy Arm. Only option you have.

So it takes only one hour to see the entire visitor center and walk on two trails? I read complaints about 75 minutes not being enough time at Mendenhall.

No, you need to allow and hour for Nugget Falls trail. Can add the short stop to Photo Point for a few extra minutes- IF those are the "two" trails you are referring to???

The Visitor Center is additional time, there is also a movie available. Range programs per schedule as well. IF you want an extended experience- then you would be best allotting at least 2 hours outside of the hour transit time.

No, you need to allow and hour for Nugget Falls trail. Can add the short stop to Photo Point for a few extra minutes - If those are the "two" trails you are referring to?

The Visitor Center is additional time, there is also a movie available. Ranger programs per schedule as well. If you want an extended experience - then you would be best allotting at least 2 hours outside of the hour transit time.

I was referring to Photo Point trail and Steep Creek trail, which are very short. I expect to spend more than an hour in the visitor center. My guess is 3 hours for all that should be allotted. That leaves me without enough time for a whale tour because those are at least 3 hours long.

We are going on the Volendam same time. On August 14 in Juneau, doing a whale watch tour with Juneau Adventures. Sounds amazing. He will drop us off at Medenhall and we plan on walking to Nugget Falls and visit the visitor center. I would expect this will take us longer and we will miss the bus back to town. I hope it's easy to catch a cab back to town. First time to Alaska and too much to do, but I Need to do a whale watch and Medenhall.

We are going on the Volendam same time. On August 14 in Juneau, doing a whale watch tour with Juneau Adventures. Sounds amazing. He will drop us off at Medenhall and we plan on walking to Nugget Falls and visit the visitor center. I would expect this will take us longer and we will miss the bus back to town. I hope it's easy to catch a cab back to town. First time to Alaska and too much to do, but I Need to do a whale watch and Medenhall.

you need to call your own cab. have the cab numbers with you and call 30 minutes prior to needing it.

Will definitely do. Thank you Budget Queen! Looking forward to seeing Juneau! Just wish we had more time in port than 1 to 10, I believe it is. Hopefully a 4 hr whale watch, walking to Nugget Falls and visitor center and getting back to cruise ship will get us back in time. Getting excited!

Reading along this conversation when I realize we have not booked a whale watching excursion and not sure how I missed doing that. Only been making plans since last Aug.

Quick search and found an excursion that works into our day.

Owe somebody a cold one for that thanks.

After 3.5 Alaska cruises (that 4-day Sampler only counts as half...), I'll summarize it like this:

Whales:

On ship: easy to see at the right time, hard to photograph (hazy photos due to distance, small objects in photo due to distance)

Excursion: easy to see, easy to photograph

Eagles:

On ship: moderate to see (look for golf ball in tree), hard to photograph (eagle will be 10 pixels max).

Excursion: easier to see, still hard to photograph unless your tour really gets you "in there".

That's my two cents...

We are going on the Volendam same time. On August 14 in Juneau, doing a whale watch tour with Juneau Adventures. Sounds amazing. He will drop us off at Mendenhall and we plan on walking to Nugget Falls and visit the visitor center. I would expect this will take us longer and we will miss the bus back to town. I hope it's easy to catch a cab back to town. First time to Alaska and too much to do, but I need to do a whale watch and Mendenhall.

That was what made Juneau so difficult to plan: not having enough time to do it all and the Mendenhall shuttle not running after 6:00. If I ever decide to return, I will look for a ship that docks in Juneau much earlier so there will be plenty of time to do three excursions.

Based on what I read about the Nugget Falls trail, I see no way you will finish it in time for the last shuttle back to the ship. One option is reserving a taxi.

Cruising...I am calling Juneau Adventures to see if we need a 3 hr whale watching, instead of 4 hrs. I am hooked on whale watching excursions, after doing one in Victoria. I agree there is a huge difference seeing whales from the ship and doing an excursion. The excursion takes you to the whales. Even though I will be watching for whales on the ship.

After seeing a picture of Nugget Falls, I need to experience it. I would love to also make it to Red Dog Saloon, but my priorities are whales and Nugget Falls. Everyone has their own priorities.

I will plan on taking a taxi to the ship and don't have a problem with that. Haha just want to make it back to ship before it leaves. Just wishing there were a little more time in Juneau.

Have fun planning!

Cruising...I am calling Juneau Adventures to see if we need a 3 hr whale watching, instead of 4 hrs. I am hooked on whale watching excursions, after doing one in Victoria. I agree there is a huge difference seeing whales from the ship and doing an excursion. The excursion takes you to the whales. Even though I will be watching for whales on the ship.

After seeing a picture of Nugget Falls, I need to experience it. I would love to also make it to Red Dog Saloon, but my priorities are whales and Nugget Falls. Everyone has their own priorities.

I will plan on taking a taxi to the ship and don't have a problem with that. Haha just want to make it back to ship before it leaves. Just wishing there were a little more time in Juneau.

Have fun planning!

I tried very hard to squeeze in a whale excursion, but in the end I figured out there is no way to have enough time at Mendenhall if I do that. Well, maybe I can, but that would require taking a taxi back to the ship. I don't want to feel rushed to get back in time for supper in the MDR.

Who does not wish there was more time in Juneau? I also wanted to go to the Rainforest Gardens, which closes at 6:00, and Gold Creek Salmon Bake.

Have fun planning!

Bottom line with a whale watch- longer is ALWAYS better, seeing more = more time. Simple math. "Calling" and asking a vendor, is going to be pretty useless, they are going to slant their response to what you want to hear, frankly.

The recommendation is to get a whale watch that starts the earliest, at least 3.5 hours, and has the Mendenhall drop off (alternative- is you can take a cab direct if no other option). Figuring you are there around 5pm is plenty of time. I am also assuming you are NOT going end of season, in Sept?

Final suggestion- the Red Dog, is nothing but fellow "tourists", IF you happen to be interested in a more authentic bar- take a look at the Alaskan. down a few blocks on Franklin- across the street from the Red Dog and down the block on the right. Noted in the National Historic Registry.

Edit- the above symbol- mistaken entry. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Budget, "longer is better" can also be said about Mendenhall. That is why I plan to take the Mendenhall shuttle instead of a combo tour with whales: more time. In fact I am hoping 2.5 hours will be enough time at the glacier.

That said, I hated deleting whales from my Juneau agenda. Someday I will do a whale watching tour when I have all day for shore excursions because that type of tour has been on my wish list for years.

Budget, "longer is better" can also be said about Mendenhall. That is why I plan to take the Mendenhall shuttle instead of a combo tour with whales: more time. In fact I am hoping 2.5 hours will be enough time at the glacier.

That said, I hated deleting whales from my Juneau agenda. Someday I will do a whale watching tour when I have all day for shore excursions because that type of tour has been on my wish list for years.

With Mendenhall your priority, I would suggest you do more than the 2 "basic" trails that you are. These will take an hour at most. Actually easily done with the structured short stops. There is a lot more you can see and do there.

With Mendenhall your priority, I would suggest you do more than the 2 "basic" trails that you are. These will take an hour at most. Actually easily done with the structured short stops. There is a lot more you can see and do there.

So I can do everything I want to in just 2.5 hours, the amount of time I have to do it if I take a shuttle bus both ways.

Now do you know about any whale watching excursions that can give me all the time I need at Mendenhall? I have physical limitations that make most trails too long and difficult, so just two plus the visitor center will be good enough for me.

Because whale excursions are 3-4 hours long and I really have only 6 hours (for supper, not ship departure), I don't see how it is possible to squeeze Mendenall trails in after watching whales.

Can it be done? I have no time for a whale watching tour in Juneau and there is no such thing in Skagway or Ketchikan so my only chance seems to be from the ship. There is a half hour photo stop at Tracy Arm. The ship also goes to Glacier Bay. Is there a good chance I can see whales (or any other marine mammals) if I look for them on the ship?

Wildlife is hit or miss IMHO, if you gotta see them I'd say take the tour out of Juneau. Every port is a tradeoff of activities, good luck.

It really is something else seeing close up from a small boat.

Wildlife is hit or miss IMHO, if you gotta see them I'd say take the tour out of Juneau. Every port is a tradeoff of activities, good luck.

It really is something else seeing close up from a small boat.

It is one thing to say, "Do this instead of that." But in this case, I have to go by the excursion's duration when deciding what to scratch off my to-do list. I don't know if I will ever get another chance to visit Mendenhall, which is unlike all the other glaciers. I just need to know if it is possible to put whales and Mendenhall together including transportation in only 6 hours. Can that be done or do I have to hope whales are visible from the ship?

Now do you know about any whale watching excursions that can give me all the time I need at Mendenhall? I have physical limitations that make most trails too long and difficult, so just two plus the visitor center will be good enough for me.

Because whale excursions are 3-4 hours long and I really have only 6 hours (for supper, not ship departure), I don't see how it is possible to squeeze Mendenall trails in after watching whales.

It is quite common for people to go to Mendenhall after a whale watching excursion. In fact, many of the whale watching companies will drop you off at Mendenhall if you let them know, so that saves considerable travel time, eliminating the need to go back to town and then start out from scratch all over again.

You can then spend as little or as much time as you like at Mendenhall, and when ready to leave, take a bus or taxi back to your ship.

It is entirely up to you how much hiking you will want to do at Mendenhall Glacier

No need to decide in advance as you can wait until you get there to see what the weather is like that day and how you are feeling.

You may even want to talk to the park rangers there, describe your physical limitations and see what they suggest.

The photo point trail is a very easy, level one.

The visitor center is wheelchair accessible, and you can get great sweeping views all around just looking out from the upper level.

There are even telescopes available to use.

Unless you have a serious medical condition that requires you to eat on a strict schedule, I would not be at all concerned about supper time and would just figure on eating whenever you get back to town, or back to the ship.

Snacks are provided on many of the whale watching boats.

You could probably even make arrangements with your whale watching tour operator in advance to purchase something more substantial for you to eat on the boat, if that is a concern.

It is quite common for people to go to Mendenhall after a whale watching excursion. In fact, many of the whale watching companies will drop you off at Mendenhall if you let them know, so that saves considerable travel time, eliminating the need to go back to town and then start out from scratch all over again.

You can then spend as little or as much time as you like at Mendenhall, and when ready to leave, take a bus or taxi back to your ship.

So tour operators should not say in their tour descriptions it is a 75-minute stay at Mendenhall before returning to the ship. Reviewers of those tours complain the combos did not give them enough time at Mendenhall. That is why I scratched doing a combo tour and decided to book all excursions separately, using taxis to go from one place to the next or a Mendenhall shuttle.

BTW my problem is difficulty on uneven surfaces - rocks, gravel, tree roots, steps, and high elevation changes. I have no problem at all walking on a generally flat trail with small stones and dirt.