First Cruise: Go all out or just get our feet wet?

hipwellio

DH and I plan to cruise this August to celebrate our 10th anniversary. This will also be the first time ever away from our kids. So obviously we want to make the best of the time we have.

We were originally planning to take a 4-5 day cruise to the bahamas. My only requirement is to swim with a dolpin. DH's only requirement is that the boat doesn't sink :rolleyes:

But after doing more research on cruises, I fell in love with the Allure of the Seas. So now i'm rethinking our whole plan. But money is an issue. It would mean not taking a separate trip with the kids this year and spending all of our money on our trip.

So would you just do the small cruise and get a sampling of cruise vacations to see if we even like it. Or would you go all the way and take a longer, more expensive trip on a huge ship and forgo another vacation?

TIA!!

can you do something in the middle? like a longer cruise to a more exotic destination but on a slightly less expensive ship? and a shorter family trip--maybe a long weekend road trip? when given the choice between two options, i always try to find a way to have them both. :p

The kids are 6 and 2. They are also well traveled. They don't even know a vacation is in the works so it woulldn't upset them.

I guess more of my question is the ship. Will I love an older ship after seeing the allure?

That is something only you can answer. The thought of getting on a ship with 6000 or so passengers, just doesn't appeal to me. i prefer smaller ships. Last summer we were on a 2000 passenger ship and it was too crowded for my taste.

It's really hard to say since everyone is different, but personally I would much rather have two vacations versus putting all of my money into one.

If the shorter cruise looks like it will meet all of your needs, the I would definitely go with that. If you think you will be too disappointed with not seeing the Allure, then go with that.

The Alllure and Oasis are in a class of their own. If you set your expectations accordingly, then you should be fine with going from that to a smaller ship in the future.

I loved vacations as a kid so I made a promise to myself that at least once s year we take a family vacation. I would take the cruise that allows you to have a vacation with your kids. They are only young children for so long.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

If were me I'd take the longer cruise. I'm sure your 2 young kids keeps you both going at full speed. For your 10th anniversary take some good "me" time. 4-5 day cruises go by way too fast. You barely have time to get settled and start to unwind and its over. Whether to take the Allure or a smaller ship is totally personal choice. The Allure is like a floating city with lots options. A smaller ship will give you more of a true cruise experience.

I vote for the shorter cruise. As has been said before, since it's your first experience, you'll be "wowed" by everything. Enjoy the ports and the ship, then move on to bigger and better ;)

Our boys are 6.5 and 4, and I place tremendous value on the time we get to spend together as a family on vacation. So I wouldn't give up a family vacation opportunity to take a dazzling cruise, but that's me. FWIW our 15th anniversary and DH's 40th birthday are this year, and we decided to take the kids to Hawaii or Costa Rica...at the expense of our "alone" trip for our anniversary but with the grandparents, so we can get at least one evening alone ;)

Less is more for me too. I sailed the Voyager-- small compared to the Oasis or Allure. I needed a vacation after my vacation because it was just too big. Did not get a chance to see it all or do it all.

So if the Voyager is too big for me- I will avoid the Oasis / Allure

:eek:

My vacation dollars go as far as I want them to- No way could I put it all into one special vacation since I like taking two a year

I would try to find something a little cheaper. I've priced the Allure and holy crap that thing is expensive! Try some older ships that are sailing 7 days or even a 6 day if you can find it.

I know on my 4 day I was going "It's over? :( ALREADY!?!?!?" and wishing I had booked a 7 day :D

I would try to find something a little cheaper. I've priced the Allure and holy crap that thing is expensive! Try some older ships that are sailing 7 days or even a 6 day if you can find it.

I know on my 4 day I was going "It's over? :( ALREADY!?!?!?" and wishing I had booked a 7 day :D

I know--lol i priced it for our next time and I can take two cruises for the price of the one. (since it is a new ship I expected it to be high)

Archived