Posting from the Carnival Liberty. New Alcohol Policy?

adamt

Just finished our first stop in St. Thomas on our Liberty Cruise. Full review to come, but I thought it would be a good idea to give you folks an FYI....

if this is old news, i apologize, but when you purchase liquor off shore now, and you turn it in to the Carnival liquor police, you're required to pick it up the day of debarkation between 630-730am. hey do NOT bring it to your stateroom the night before. TThis effectively keeps you from packing it in your luggage to be taken the night before.

This was just a bit of a surprise to my wife and me, as we have a tried and true packing method that involves bubble wrap and wrapping in clothes, all the while keeping under the 50lb bag limit.

As an alternative, we're going to load all of our liquor and then arrange it once we arrive at the airport. I'm not sure why they changed it, maybe they noticed their alcohol sales plummeting on the last night of the cruises.

We're in a Grand Ocean Suite (got a last minute upgrade call), Boarding was just fine. Since the cruise doesn't leave until 1030, and boarding goes until 830, the volume is spread out. We got on at 2pm and were in our room within 30mins of walking into the port. 3rd time we've left out of SJ and have never had an issue. One of my favorite ports to leave from.

I think it was around July when they changed it. I'm not sure that I will buy any now because I don't want the hassle to save a couple bucks.

It was July. That was one of the changes made at the same time as "Watergate". Everyone was so concerned about not being able to bring bottles of water they forgot about the change in alcohol pick up.

And like you kona my purchases will be limited. There are a few items that are not available in the US. I will purchase them occasionally.

This will be a huge inconvenience to those flying. I used to always pack my carefully in suitcase. This was even true with driving. Now I think it will cut down on my alcohol buys. If you put luggage out night before, it will be very difficult to get it packed right into luggage before going through customs at port.

Maybe if Carnival sees a large decrease in alcohol purchases, they will rethink by my cruise next year.

This will be a huge inconvenience to those flying. I used to always pack my carefully in suitcase. This was even true with driving. Now I think it will cut down on my alcohol buys. If you put luggage out night before, it will be very difficult to get it packed right into luggage before going through customs at port.

Maybe if Carnival sees a large decrease in alcohol purchases, they will rethink by my cruise next year.

Exactly my point! So now, when we debark, we will have a case of liquor (3 bottles) and 4 suitcases to handle between 2 people. the 4 suitcases were very managable as they clip together, but you throw in random boxes that you have to carry off with you, it becomes a major hassle.

I'm with the above folks, i'll just start buying my alcohol in the dufree's in our airports as we leave. At least this way I won't have to rearrange our suitcases and can just throw the boxes under our seats for the flight home.

I don't know. I didn't have any problems. Once I got to my luggage I just unzipped and stuffed it in. Took me all about 20 seconds. No big deal for me

I don't know. I didn't have any problems. Once I got to my luggage I just unzipped and stuffed it in. Took me all about 20 seconds. No big deal for me

I can see it much easier with driving, but with flying you not only have to have it packed with bubble wrap, etc., but in center of luggage due to the luggage handlers throwing luggage.

I can see it much easier with driving, but with flying you not only have to have it packed with bubble wrap, etc., but in center of luggage due to the luggage handlers throwing luggage.

Call me lucky I guess. I just stuffed them in between all the clothes and they made it in one piece.

Being a Floridian, I drive to and from the ports we leave out of. The packing, if I were flying, would be a huge issue for me. I would also want to pack them the night before. With that being said, I will not be purchasing either because the last thing I want to do is stand in a line at 630am to pick up purchases. Whoever thought of this did not think of the customer service that was involved.

Being a Floridian, I drive to and from the ports we leave out of. The packing, if I were flying, would be a huge issue for me. I would also want to pack them the night before. With that being said, I will not be purchasing either because the last thing I want to do is stand in a line at 630am to pick up purchases. Whoever thought of this did not think of the customer service that was involved.

Maybe I'm in the minority but it works fine for me. The 2 times I have done it there has been no lines and I'm an early bird so I'm up by 6 anyhow. Like I said previously I just unzipped and stuffed it in the center of the bag. How difficult is that. I understand that some people don't like to wake up early so I can see how that will concern some

Maybe I'm in the minority but it works fine for me. The 2 times I have done it there has been no lines and I'm an early bird so I'm up by 6 anyhow. Like I said previously I just unzipped and stuffed it in the center of the bag. How difficult is that. I understand that some people don't like to wake up early so I can see how that will concern some

Its awesome that you dont mind waiting in line that early, or no line at all. I feel like your impression from what I said is that I am one who likes to sleep in and could be somewhat slothful. That is not the case. Most mornings I am up by 6am as well. My son is an early riser and I am right there with him. My issue with waiting in line at that time of the morning is that my son has some special issues that make mornings very difficult sometimes, especially when he is not in his every day element. It would just make life a little easier for me if I were not made to go into a line for my purchases. But I understand that most people dont have special needs in their life that they need to take into consideration. If my situation were different - I wouldnt mind waiting either.

Its awesome that you dont mind waiting in line that early, or no line at all. I feel like your impression from what I said is that I am one who likes to sleep in and could be somewhat slothful. That is not the case. Most mornings I am up by 6am as well. My son is an early riser and I am right there with him. My issue with waiting in line at that time of the morning is that my son has some special issues that make mornings very difficult sometimes, especially when he is not in his every day element. It would just make life a little easier for me if I were not made to go into a line for my purchases. But I understand that most people dont have special needs in their life that they need to take into consideration. If my situation were different - I wouldnt mind waiting either.

That is not what I meant. That is why I stated that I am probably in the minority. It didnt bother me. I can't guess what everyone's day starts like. This is just my opinion and by the way both times there where no lines. Just walk up to the table and go.