Ketchikan - Totem Bight or Totem Heritage Ctr?

rgmacm

Totem Bight or Totem Heritage Center??

Just by way of information, we are 'history lovers' and 'museum enthusiasts'....

We are interested in 'authentic' and 'historical'.....

Totem Bight will be the most challenging to get to as we would take the city bus that would take 45-60 min. with stops to get there (and almost as long to get back). Totem Heritage Ctr would be the easiest to get to as it's on the free trolley route.

That being said however, we would go to whichever one best fit our interests us...just making the point - because it's true. haha! :)

Edited by rgmacm

Saxman village is my favorite in Ketchikan. I spent maybe 1/2 hour in the museum and the same at Totem Bight. I would take Totem Bight over the museum unless it's raining. However I really enjoy the culture, dancing, and stories at Saxman

I like the history at the Totem Heritage Center. Most of the totem poles are only partial poles, rescued and preserved there. So if you want full coloured, upright, near perfect totem poles, don't go there, though there ARE a few of those. ;) This link gives a pretty good overview

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/totem-heritage-center.html

Totem Bight will be the most challenging to get to as we would take the city bus that would take 45-60 min. with stops to get there (and almost as long to get back). :)

We are also thinking of using the city bus to get to Totem Bight. Am I looking at the bus schedule right? I thought is was less than a 30 minute bus ride to get there from the berth 2 or 4 stop. I might have to reconsider our plans if it can take up to 1 hour each way.

Just by way of information, we are 'history lovers' and 'museum enthusiasts'....

We are interested in 'authentic' and 'historical'.....

Totem Bight will be the most challenging to get to as we would take the city bus that would take 45-60 min. with stops to get there (and almost as long to get back). Totem Heritage Ctr would be the easiest to get to as it's on the free trolley route.

That being said however, we would go to whichever one best fit our interests us...just making the point - because it's true. haha! :)

Saxman was set up by the Indigenous Peoples to get money off the cruise ship passengers. Nothing wrong w that but Totem Bight and the Heritage Center represent more of the real thing. With regard to getting to Totem Bight, you could rent a car for the day.

DON

We are also thinking of using the city bus to get to Totem Bight. Am I looking at the bus schedule right? I thought is was less than a 30 minute bus ride to get there from the berth 2 or 4 stop. I might have to reconsider our plans if it can take up to 1 hour each way.

the bus runs once an hour and takes about 1/2 hour each, to get there and back. I would not get on near berth 4 stop, if not real early in the day, (6/7) the bus will likely be full. From Dock St, it's around 25 after the hour.

I prefer Totem Bight - in Alaska, I want to be outdoors and not inside in museums.

Typically I am big into history (history major) and like museums but couldn't find myself to stay long in the museum when I can be outside in Alaska. Others love it. I was bored.

The Totem Heritage Museum isn't big and doesn't require a lot of time. With some port times, easily can include both. I also will suggest, opt for a full touring day and include the loop walk along with a look at the beautiful totems out back of the Fox Lodge ride the funicular up,, walking the Married Man's trail AND. looping through the City Park, down Deermount to the end of Creek St. (making rights). :)

My best budget, full touring day. :) :) :)