Can we wear jeans in Baltic ports?

We will be stopping in St. Petersburg, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tallin, Berlin and Stockholm. is there anywhere we cannot/should not wear jeans(denim)? I know shorts aren't necessarily acceptable, but coming from Florida I think we will be fine in long pants so that's not an issue- but most of our long pants are jeans...

Not talking about dinner clothes, purely off the ship... jeans in churches and museums.

Thanks!

From what I've read as long as the pants are over the knee length they are fine. So I think jeans should be ok unless it's a very nice restaurant. A few churches may require covered heads if it's during service. But I'm going from reading the travel guides.

I'm packing one pair of shorts for the ship. The rest cargo pants or comfortable jeans for port days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be stopping in St. Petersburg, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tallin, Berlin and Stockholm. is there anywhere we cannot/should not wear jeans(denim)? I know shorts aren't necessarily acceptable, but coming from Florida I think we will be fine in long pants so that's not an issue- but most of our long pants are jeans...

Not talking about dinner clothes, purely off the ship... jeans in churches and museums.

Thanks!

We are doing the same ports in August on the Zuiderdam. And funny thing is we to are from Florida. We have read (in Rick Steves book I think) that shorts are seen as beach wear and not acceptable in those Baltic cities. It also says "tourist" all over it. Just makes you a target if you know what I mean. Since most of those ports have an average temp in August of about 70 for a high, pants or jeans will be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are doing the same ports in August on the Zuiderdam. And funny thing

is we to are from Florida. We have read (in Rick Steves book I think) that shorts are seen as beach wear

and not acceptable in those Baltic cities. It also says "tourist" all over it. Just makes you a target if you know

what I mean. Since most of those ports have an average temp in August of about 70 for a high, pants or jeans

will be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This have been discussed before with the same ideas from Americans that jeans and shorts and "tennis shoes" wouldn't be accepted.

You and Rick Steve (if it was his book) couldn't be more wrong. Jeans and shorts are used by "everyone" or

rather you will find all sorts of dressing styles but in the summer (depending on weather) jeans and/or shorts are the

most common way to dress.

However, as mentioned above, if you are planning on visiting religious buildings then shorts and t-shirt might not be accepted.

The same might apply if you plan on eating dinner at a very fancy restaurant. Otherwise nobody will care what you wear and

regardless you will look like a tourist anyway.

This have been discussed before with the same ideas from Americans that jeans and shorts and "tennis shoes" wouldn't be accepted.

You and Rick Steve (if it was his book) couldn't be more wrong. Jeans and shorts are used by "everyone" or

rather you will find all sorts of dressing styles but in the summer (depending on weather) jeans and/or shorts are the

most common way to dress.

However, as mentioned above, if you are planning on visiting religious buildings then shorts and t-shirt might not be accepted.

The same might apply if you plan on eating dinner at a very fancy restaurant. Otherwise nobody will care what you wear and

regardless you will look like a tourist anyway.

when we went on a Baltic cruise in mid September it was still quite hot. I agree with the above comments and yet again Rick Steve's got it wrong.

Although I wouldn't wear them, shorts are seen in all European cities if it is hot in the summer. When it is very warm I find jeans are too hot, so prefer to wear a skirt. I would suggest cotton trousers instead of jeans, especially if visiting churches, of which there are many. Shoulders also need to be covered in churches, so a light stole or something with short sleeves.

I use jeans a lot myself and have visited churches of all kind (Lutheran, Catholic, Jesuit, Orthodox) in Finland, Sweden and Germany and museums without any problem.

I never use shorts but during hot summer days I would guess almost half of the people you see on the street (Helsinki) use shorts.

I really don't know where Rick Steves gets some of his ideas about Europe from. I have visited (and stayed in) Baltic countries a number of times and jeans are just fine and worn by locals. Shorts aee fine in hot weather too, except for churches. As for being recognised as a tourist, apart from the fact that Baltic countries are generally very safe, you are going to be easily recognised as a tourist anyway unlesss you plan never to talk to each other.

I really don't know where Rick Steves gets some of his ideas about Europe from. I have visited (and stayed in) Baltic countries a number of times and jeans are just fine and worn by locals. Shorts aee fine in hot weather too, except for churches. As for being recognised as a tourist, apart from the fact that Baltic countries are generally very safe, you are going to be easily recognised as a tourist anyway unlesss you plan never to talk to each other.

It is often very easy to ascertain the nationality of many people just by their appearance and the way they dress. Some are easier than others, they don't need to speak.

Jeans are fine, you will see lots of locals in them. I was going to say that they might be too warm as the weather can get quite hot in the summer, but if you can manage jeans in Florida in summer, you will be fine!

I don't wear shorts, and wouldn't anyway if visiting a capital city, more inclined to wear lightweight cotton trousers or skirts.

In Oslo, a lot of people even wear shorts to the office when the weather gets too hot! As for jeans, I've never even thought twice about wearing them around town anywhere in Europe. Oslo is pretty extreme with the jeans acceptance, and it's not uncommon to see people wearing jeans to nice restaurants and even the opera (though they tend to stick to dark colors and fitted styles).

I will say that if you care about sticking out as an American, I'd skip relaxed-fit jeans and stick to slimmer cuts (and the bootcut revival going on in the US hasn't quite picked up here yet). But your accent is going to give you away instantly anyway, so there's not much point in worrying about it! :)

Europeans wear jeans and especially in tourist areas are used to seeing Americans in shorts. The only place that shorts might be an issue is in cathedrals, etc.

Thanks for confirming what many of us have been saying -- Europeans wear jeans! You live there and know! :)

Thanks for confirming what many of us have been saying -- Europeans wear jeans! You live there and know! :)

We never wear or own jeans but in my experience the vast majority of people i see in the UK are wearing jeans.

43 cruises and counting.