Two days in Paris

Gracie115

Have never been to Paris or anywhere in France....will have 1 1/2 days there looking for a good tour company to work with, and yes, will check with Trip Advisor, just didn't know if someone here would know of one that stands out. The boards for Rome have one thread about a specific company that is 1000's of posts long and was very helpful when we went to Rome the 1st time. Thanks for any help!!:)

Have never been to Paris or anywhere in France....will have 1 1/2 days there looking for a good tour company to work with, and yes, will check with Trip Advisor, just didn't know if someone here would know of one that stands out. The boards for Rome have one thread about a specific company that is 1000's of posts long and was very helpful when we went to Rome the 1st time. Thanks for any help!!:)

To be honest you will not find anything like that in France at least in Paris(there are some listed to be sure for the South of France. As far as Paris goes you really do not need a tour guide as you can do most if not all the sights on your own. Using the HOHO bus (which I think is really goos for Paris alth some do not like them),a river cruise,and the metro along with a good guide book you should be able to get around just fine.There is some info on this board re guides if you want to check,but you will not have any problem on your ownHave a great visit..Paris is my favorite city!!! There is info on getting to Versailles only if you have the time,but I would save that for another visit as you will have a LOT to see.

Check out Viator If you only have 1.5 days you need to have "beat the line" tickets in hand. Also google "walking tours Paris". There are several tours, some are free given by students others have a small fee and have a theme.

Having been to Rome, you already know the information I'm about to write. I'm providing it for the benefit of others who are not familiar with that popular Italian company. The Italian company is super popular because the port of Civitivecchia is a 90 minute drive away from Rome. Folks want the trip into Rome to be easy, tailored to their personal convenience. The same company is also popular with folks doing a port call in Naples because the same company offers rides along the Amalfi Coast and up into the hills for a lovely meal with a view. Neither of these conditions apply to a visit to Paris.

For others heading to Italy, think about what you want from your experience. That favorite company consists of licensed drivers, not guides, although licensed guides can be added for an additional fee. The drivers will make certain you have a fun experience, but their information varies dramatically with driver and may or may be accurate. If you want to learn about what you're seeing in Italy, you might want to make sure you directly hire a licensed guide or add a licensed guide to the hired car.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Having been to Rome, you already know the information I'm about to write. I'm providing it for the benefit of others who are not familiar with that popular Italian company. The Italian company is super popular because the port of Civitivecchia is a 90 minute drive away from Rome. Folks want the trip into Rome to be easy, tailored to their personal convenience. The same company is also popular with folks doing a port call in Naples because the same company offers rides along the Amalfi Coast and up into the hills for a lovely meal with a view. Neither of these conditions apply to a visit to Paris.

For others heading to Italy, think about what you want from your experience. That favorite company consists of licensed drivers, not guides, although licensed guides can be added for an additional fee. The drivers will make certain you have a fun experience, but their information varies dramatically with driver and may or may be accurate. If you want to learn about what you're seeing in Italy, you might want to make sure you directly hire a licensed guide or add a licensed guide to the hired car.

I appreciate what you are saying, we actually employed that company several times, a few for walking tours in Rome which were wonderful and done by licensed guides. They were also quite good for transports from airport to ship and back again. They respond to information requests almost immediately and are incredibly easy to work with. I gather there is not the same type of company in Paris....so we will most likely take our Rick Steeves book and do it on our own!!!!:)

To be honest you will not find anything like that in France at least in Paris(there are some listed to be sure for the South of France. As far as Paris goes you really do not need a tour guide as you can do most if not all the sights on your own. Using the HOHO bus (which I think is really goos for Paris alth some do not like them),a river cruise,and the metro along with a good guide book you should be able to get around just fine.There is some info on this board re guides if you want to check,but you will not have any problem on your ownHave a great visit..Paris is my favorite city!!! There is info on getting to Versailles only if you have the time,but I would save that for another visit as you will have a LOT to see.

Check out Viator If you only have 1.5 days you need to have "beat the line" tickets in hand. Also google "walking tours Paris". There are several tours, some are free given by students others have a small fee and have a theme.

Thank you both for the information.

I gather there is not the same type of company in Paris....so we will most likely take our Rick Steeves book and do it on our own!!!!:)

If you look at the walking tours offered by Context Travel (Paris) you'll see two orientation tours that may appeal to you. The first is a two-hour orientation tour of the Right Bank and the second is a two-hour orientation tour of the Left Bank at night. The rest of Context's tours are more narrowly focused. I recommend them highly; we've been using Context's services in many cities around the world for over a decade. However, we've made multiple trips to Paris, so we're at the stage where we want to take a more in-depth approach to touring. On our last visit, we spent three hours taking a tour of the mansions of the Marais and another three hours learning about the French Revolutions. (There's also a tour titled "Welcome to Paris" but that tour is offered only as a custom private tour.)

Here's the link to the first page of the list of all the Paris walks and excursions.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/paris/walking-tours-calendar?page=1

If you look at the walking tours offered by Context Travel (Paris) you'll see two orientation tours that may appeal to you. The first is a two-hour orientation tour of the Right Bank and the second is a two-hour orientation tour of the Left Bank at night. The rest of Context's tours are more narrowly focused. I recommend them highly; we've been using Context's services in many cities around the world for over a decade. However, we've made multiple trips to Paris, so we're at the stage where we want to take a more in-depth approach to touring. On our last visit, we spent three hours taking a tour of the mansions of the Marais and another three hours learning about the French Revolutions. (There's also a tour titled "Welcome to Paris" but that tour is offered only as a custom private tour.)

Here's the link to the first page of the list of all the Paris walks and excursions.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/paris/walking-tours-calendar?page=1

Thanks for the info and the link!:)

• 1 month later...

Just posted this under another thread for Paris. It's a list I share with folks in my community -- we lived in Paris in the 60s/70s and have visited several times since. Prices haven't been updated in 2 yrs.

A few Paris restaurant Ideas and Sightseeing

Le Grand Bistro 17

108, avenue de Villiers - 75017 Paris (metro Villiers)|

definitely need Réservations : 01 47 63 32 77

Open 7 days a week, 12:00-2:30, 7:30-11:00 ('til 11:30pm on Friday/Saturday)

3 course menu, presently € 44 each which includes a bottle of wine (approx. 11 choices ea for entre, main dish, dessert, coffee. They also served us a free kir but maybe no longer.

http://www.bistrocie.fr -- this website lists other similar bistros. Another one under this group that we went to some time ago:

Le Bistrot de Breteuil

3 place de Breteuil - 75007 Paris

45-67-07-27

(near Hotel des Invalides -- Napoleon's tomb)

Le Congres Maillot

Place de la Porte Maillot

80, avenue de la Grande Armée - Paris 75017, Métro Porte Maillot

45 74 17 24

Mainly seafood but other dishes as well. Not cheap, but we adore the sole meuniere -- might be cheaper at lunch.

Le Relais de Venise (practically around the corner from Le Congres)

AKA L'Entrecote

271 Blvd. Pereire - Port Maillot

01-45-74-27-97

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/index.htm. Only one item on the menu: Salad w/walnuts, Filet steak cut like flank steak with a mustard sauce to die for, best French fries, choice of dessert (can't remember if included). No reservations and there's always a line. You'll see knock-offs on the Champs d'Elysees and other places (called L’Entrecote, which is the cut of beef that the steak is cut from), but they can't compare.

There are a ton of restaurants in the Latin Quarter/St. Michel area with touts standing outside trying to get you to come in. Set menus are probably the best deal. Some will be better than others.

Take time to stop in any café and order a café crème (like a latte). You can order decaffeinated (pronounced “café day-ca”). Or if it’s cold outside, chocolate chaude (hot chocolate). If you use sugar substitute, keep a few packets from home in your purse as the French stuff has a different taste.

One of our favorite salads is Salade chevre chaud (green salad with warmed goat cheese with 2-3 pcs. of small baguette). And baguette (French crusty loaf bread) will be put on table. Instead of using butter (which may or not be served with it), just ask for Dijon and put some on to be really like the French.

Try North African cuisine (Tunisian, Moroccan), a good chain is Chez Bebert (I think there’s about 3 of ‘em). The most popular dish is couscous (semolina wheat sort of like pasta) with meat (there’s chicken, beef, fish) and lots of veggies and the sauce. A good appetizer is a brick (pronounced breek) which is a pastry with an egg in it, veggies, folded over and fried. I don’t like soft cooked eggs, but Leo just loves this dish. In the Latin Quarter you’ll see other similar restaurants.

If you like scallops, try the French ones (coquille St. Jacques Provencal – with tomatoes, garlic) – they’re served with the roe attached (edible).

Try the onion soup – under potage (soups) or entres (which is actually the appetizer course), it might be listed as gratinee – that’s the cheese that’s cooked on top over a pc. of bread, often with a little bit of white wine poured over it.

Sightseeing/Transport

Paris sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16746-Top_20_things_to_see_and_do_in_Paris.html

I agree with this list.

For the metro, best off buying a carnet (book of about 10 tickets). Just be careful in the metro – lots of pickpockets. Leave your passport in the hotel room’s safe, along with most of your valuables. You only need to carry a photocopy of the front page of your passport. Just keep your purses close to your body, use a money belt (bought a really nice soft one at AAA). Can go into the restroom to get your credit card. The metro tickets are also good for the buses. Check bus routes as often it’s so much nicer to ride outside rather than inside the metro where you don’t see anything. Always get on the bus in the front and put your ticket in the machine to be stamped – exit any door except front.

Museums not to be missed: Louvre; Musee d’Orsay (impressionists + too much to mention); Rodin (museum/gardens, very close to Invalides); Picasso. Probably can only fit in 2 a day as there's so much walking involved. If possible, use the audo guides that are available.

Should also visit Napoleon’s Tomb (Invalides – refers to former old soldiers home where tomb is now located). Eiffel Tower. Montmartre (painter’s square) – very touristy but nice view of Paris + visit Sacre Coeur church. Notre Dame and that whole area -- walk down the quai on the opposite side (left bank) and take a photo of the church from that angle. On weekends there are stands with books and old prints/postcards. This area is close to the Latin Quarter.. Near-by La Conciergerie (former palace/prison) where King Louis XV & Marie Antoinette were held before being be-headed + nearby Sainte-Chapelle with fantastic stained glass windows.

While we've never taken it, there's an On/Off bus. Whenever we've taken one in other cities, we often ride it around the whole loop to see all the sites, then decide which places we actually want to visit. You might want to take a regular sightseeing bus tour (Grayline or similar) which would zip you thru the Louvre. Be sure to take photos of EM Pei's pyramid in the courtyard.

As you walk down from the Louvre (either thru the park or on the side of the street under the "Arcades" so you can see all the shops), towards the Champs d'Elysees, you'll come to Place de la Concorde. In the right hand corner, across the street from the Hotel Crillon (pop in and see how the other half lives), is the American Embassy. Kind of catty corner, in front of the Embassy/Crillon is a statue. This was actually the spot of one of the guillotines during the revolution.

Marais: Considered the Jewish quarter. Victor Hugo's house/museum overlooks the square.

Champs d'Elysees. Near-by is the Presidential palace (Palais d'Elysees), within walking distance of American Embassy on Faubourg St. Honore. This is the street with a lot of designer shops.

At the end of the Champs is the Arc de Triomphe, also referred to as Etoile (Star). There's a pedestrian tunnel to take to get to the center (you don't go thru the traffic). Tomb of Unknown Soldier. Take elevator to top for great views.

Eiffel Tower. Best view is from platform at Trocadero (site of 2 museums). Down the street from the Arc.

Good book to buy: Michelin Green guide. Has suggested walking tours, museum hours, etc. Might find one at the library. Copy pertinent pages so you don't have to take the whole thing.

Paris is a city for walking so check out walking tours on the web. While we've never done an organized walking tour (since we lived there!), one website I found is http://www.paris-walks.com/.

Versailles: If you have time, take the train to Versailles for the royal palace tour. The line will be VERY long if you don’t do this by a bus tour from Paris. I actually suggest a bus tour as you'd forego the long lines waiting for tickets.

You might also want to consider a tour that takes you to Giverny (Monet's home/gardens). The gardens won't be so great in October, but then again, the crowds will be less. If you have free time after the tour, walk up the street (as you face the house, go to your right), and the little church on your right is the burial place of the Monet family.

And you might find a day's tour to Loire Valley, but this is probably too much.

Check out Viatours. They offer some small group tours.

Passez un beau temps!!

delraydoll

Your list of food made my mouth water. However, please note 'entree' in Europe is the starter, coming from the verb 'entrer' to begin or enter.

Paris is not too large for a capital city, so easy to get around on your own and by public transport. As the OP only has one and a half days, then need to choose exactly want they want to see as all of it will be impossible. I would choose a museum or two, a trip on a Baton Mouche on the Seine, walk around one of the interesting districts.

As lovely as Versailles and Giverny are, I don't think time will permit to visit them.

• 2 months later...
Just posted this under another thread for Paris. It's a list I share with folks in my community -- we lived in Paris in the 60s/70s and have visited several times since. Prices haven't been updated in 2 yrs.

A few Paris restaurant Ideas and Sightseeing

Le Grand Bistro 17

108, avenue de Villiers - 75017 Paris (metro Villiers)|

definitely need Réservations : 01 47 63 32 77

Open 7 days a week, 12:00-2:30, 7:30-11:00 ('til 11:30pm on Friday/Saturday)

3 course menu, presently € 44 each which includes a bottle of wine (approx. 11 choices ea for entre, main dish, dessert, coffee. They also served us a free kir but maybe no longer.

http://www.bistrocie.fr -- this website lists other similar bistros. Another one under this group that we went to some time ago:

Le Bistrot de Breteuil

3 place de Breteuil - 75007 Paris

45-67-07-27

(near Hotel des Invalides -- Napoleon's tomb)

Le Congres Maillot

Place de la Porte Maillot

80, avenue de la Grande Armée - Paris 75017, Métro Porte Maillot

45 74 17 24

Mainly seafood but other dishes as well. Not cheap, but we adore the sole meuniere -- might be cheaper at lunch.

Le Relais de Venise (practically around the corner from Le Congres)

AKA L'Entrecote

271 Blvd. Pereire - Port Maillot

01-45-74-27-97

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/index.htm. Only one item on the menu: Salad w/walnuts, Filet steak cut like flank steak with a mustard sauce to die for, best French fries, choice of dessert (can't remember if included). No reservations and there's always a line. You'll see knock-offs on the Champs d'Elysees and other places (called L’Entrecote, which is the cut of beef that the steak is cut from), but they can't compare.

There are a ton of restaurants in the Latin Quarter/St. Michel area with touts standing outside trying to get you to come in. Set menus are probably the best deal. Some will be better than others.

Take time to stop in any café and order a café crème (like a latte). You can order decaffeinated (pronounced “café day-ca”). Or if it’s cold outside, chocolate chaude (hot chocolate). If you use sugar substitute, keep a few packets from home in your purse as the French stuff has a different taste.

One of our favorite salads is Salade chevre chaud (green salad with warmed goat cheese with 2-3 pcs. of small baguette). And baguette (French crusty loaf bread) will be put on table. Instead of using butter (which may or not be served with it), just ask for Dijon and put some on to be really like the French.

Try North African cuisine (Tunisian, Moroccan), a good chain is Chez Bebert (I think there’s about 3 of ‘em). The most popular dish is couscous (semolina wheat sort of like pasta) with meat (there’s chicken, beef, fish) and lots of veggies and the sauce. A good appetizer is a brick (pronounced breek) which is a pastry with an egg in it, veggies, folded over and fried. I don’t like soft cooked eggs, but Leo just loves this dish. In the Latin Quarter you’ll see other similar restaurants.

If you like scallops, try the French ones (coquille St. Jacques Provencal – with tomatoes, garlic) – they’re served with the roe attached (edible).

Try the onion soup – under potage (soups) or entres (which is actually the appetizer course), it might be listed as gratinee – that’s the cheese that’s cooked on top over a pc. of bread, often with a little bit of white wine poured over it.

Sightseeing/Transport

Paris sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16746-Top_20_things_to_see_and_do_in_Paris.html

I agree with this list.

For the metro, best off buying a carnet (book of about 10 tickets). Just be careful in the metro – lots of pickpockets. Leave your passport in the hotel room’s safe, along with most of your valuables. You only need to carry a photocopy of the front page of your passport. Just keep your purses close to your body, use a money belt (bought a really nice soft one at AAA). Can go into the restroom to get your credit card. The metro tickets are also good for the buses. Check bus routes as often it’s so much nicer to ride outside rather than inside the metro where you don’t see anything. Always get on the bus in the front and put your ticket in the machine to be stamped – exit any door except front.

Museums not to be missed: Louvre; Musee d’Orsay (impressionists + too much to mention); Rodin (museum/gardens, very close to Invalides); Picasso. Probably can only fit in 2 a day as there's so much walking involved. If possible, use the audo guides that are available.

Should also visit Napoleon’s Tomb (Invalides – refers to former old soldiers home where tomb is now located). Eiffel Tower. Montmartre (painter’s square) – very touristy but nice view of Paris + visit Sacre Coeur church. Notre Dame and that whole area -- walk down the quai on the opposite side (left bank) and take a photo of the church from that angle. On weekends there are stands with books and old prints/postcards. This area is close to the Latin Quarter.. Near-by La Conciergerie (former palace/prison) where King Louis XV & Marie Antoinette were held before being be-headed + nearby Sainte-Chapelle with fantastic stained glass windows.

While we've never taken it, there's an On/Off bus. Whenever we've taken one in other cities, we often ride it around the whole loop to see all the sites, then decide which places we actually want to visit. You might want to take a regular sightseeing bus tour (Grayline or similar) which would zip you thru the Louvre. Be sure to take photos of EM Pei's pyramid in the courtyard.

As you walk down from the Louvre (either thru the park or on the side of the street under the "Arcades" so you can see all the shops), towards the Champs d'Elysees, you'll come to Place de la Concorde. In the right hand corner, across the street from the Hotel Crillon (pop in and see how the other half lives), is the American Embassy. Kind of catty corner, in front of the Embassy/Crillon is a statue. This was actually the spot of one of the guillotines during the revolution.

Marais: Considered the Jewish quarter. Victor Hugo's house/museum overlooks the square.

Champs d'Elysees. Near-by is the Presidential palace (Palais d'Elysees), within walking distance of American Embassy on Faubourg St. Honore. This is the street with a lot of designer shops.

At the end of the Champs is the Arc de Triomphe, also referred to as Etoile (Star). There's a pedestrian tunnel to take to get to the center (you don't go thru the traffic). Tomb of Unknown Soldier. Take elevator to top for great views.

Eiffel Tower. Best view is from platform at Trocadero (site of 2 museums). Down the street from the Arc.

Good book to buy: Michelin Green guide. Has suggested walking tours, museum hours, etc. Might find one at the library. Copy pertinent pages so you don't have to take the whole thing.

Paris is a city for walking so check out walking tours on the web. While we've never done an organized walking tour (since we lived there!), one website I found is http://www.paris-walks.com/.

Versailles: If you have time, take the train to Versailles for the royal palace tour. The line will be VERY long if you don’t do this by a bus tour from Paris. I actually suggest a bus tour as you'd forego the long lines waiting for tickets.

You might also want to consider a tour that takes you to Giverny (Monet's home/gardens). The gardens won't be so great in October, but then again, the crowds will be less. If you have free time after the tour, walk up the street (as you face the house, go to your right), and the little church on your right is the burial place of the Monet family.

And you might find a day's tour to Loire Valley, but this is probably too much.

Check out Viatours. They offer some small group tours.

Passez un beau temps!!

WOW! Took me awhile to see this post...but WOW!! Thanks for all the info!!:)

• 1 month later...

Sightseeing/Transport

Paris sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDet..._in_Paris.html

I agree with this list.

For the metro, best off buying a carnet (book of about 10 tickets).

$13.70eu for the book of 10 when we visited in September. The metro system is very easy to use if you have a subway map.

Museums not to be missed: Louvre

The Louvre was fantastic with many iconic pieces. I'm not into art but I recognized many of the exhibits.

Should also visit Napoleon’s Tomb (Invalides – refers to former old soldiers home where tomb is now located). Eiffel Tower. Montmartre (painter’s square) – very touristy but nice view of Paris + visit Sacre Coeur church. Notre Dame and that whole area -- walk down the quai on the opposite side (left bank) and take a photo of the church from that angle. On weekends there are stands with books and old prints/postcards.

We took the free (by donation) Wego walking tour that starts from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower. The guide was outstanding and he'll also tell you how to skip the lines at the Louvre. We also took a free (by donation) walking tour from the Moulin Rouge to Sacre Coeur.

At the end of the Champs is the Arc de Triomphe, also referred to as Etoile (Star). There's a pedestrian tunnel to take to get to the center (you don't go thru the traffic). Tomb of Unknown Soldier.

At 6pm there is a parade/precession of veterans that marches up the Champs Elysees to the Arc.

We bought RER train tickets for Versailles Rive-Gauche for $6.8eu. each for a return trip. This ticket was also good for the Metro to St. Michel-Notre Dame to catch the C5 RER train. It took us just under an hour to get to the town of Versailles. To beat the lines, go to use the washrooms through the gift shop. Next to the washrooms were 8 electronic ticket machines which weren’t being used. The machines take credit cards. That washroom visit saved us at least 45 minutes waiting in line.:)