Food Poisoning after Excursion SCL-C

palmer10

We really had a wonderful cruise on the Silver Shadow, but it ended very badly. The ship ends it's itinerary in Valpariso and then you need a 'method' to get to the Santiago airport to fly home. When we saw the port trip 'Wine Tasting & Chilean Traditions and Airport Transfer SCL-C' we thought it would be perfect. Everything was very upscale. The wine tasting and tour was wonderful. The winery was in a beautiful location. The 'Traditions' part of the tour was a horse farm with a show and lunch. We ate lunch around 2 and then the bus headed to the Santiago Airport around 3. We could not check in for our flight until 8PM so we went to Gaspy's to have a glass of wine and some bottled water.

Around 6, both of us became very ill. It started with vomiting, and then the diarrhea started. Every 20 minutes or so, we were back in the restroom. The thought of a 10 hour flight back to Houston was terrifying.

We did make the flight and were able to get home, but here it is 2 days later and we are not back to normal. We've been on a liquid diet ever since. Last night I wanted to go to the emergency room but decided to wait until today to see. We're better but still have the symptoms.

This was the only meal that we ate 'off the ship' and we didn't drink any water at the restaurant. Also we didn't eat the empanadas offered as an appetizer. Therefore it had to be the beef entree.

I hope this never happens to anyone else. It is not SilverSeas fault but maybe they need to alter their itinerary for this excursion.

So sorry to hear this. Of course, food poisoning can happen in the US as well. My last severe attack was from eating chicken at an Applebee's restaurant in South Carolina. So sick! And it makes me not want to eat at Applebee's anywhere every again.

• 2 weeks later...

Food poisoning happens very easily! If you were late arriving to lunch or preparations are early it can happen. It really can be anything you are served! It is usually impossible to tell what it did it; but it doesn't matter. If you are still having trouble go to a doc and see what they think!

I'm sorry it happened. We have had it in strange places! Just get yourselves better and remember your lovely journey.

Palmer10 I'm sorry this happened to the 2 of you. I know what you went through and the nightmare of travelling with food poisoning. My husband and I just returned from cruising on the Regent Navigator where my husband got food poisoning from a dish served in the MDR. After reporting his illness, he received denial from the hotel manager and a letter from the captain threatening to kick him off the ship if he did not remain in the cabin for 24 hours!!!!!!

There is a whole thread about it on the Regent board.

In the meantime, drink lots of sports drinks and very slowly incorporate bland solids. One week later you can become ill again if you eat anything too rich or fried. If you have a fever however, see your doctor, you may need antibiotics to fight off the bacteria that made you sick. Good luck

As far as Silverseas responsibility goes, i think they should be informed. It is impossible for them to monitor the food served on their excursion, but perhaps they can modify the trip to include a packed lunch prepared in house. I'll be interested to hear if and how they respond.

• 3 weeks later...
So sorry to hear this. Of course, food poisoning can happen in the US as well. My last severe attack was from eating chicken at an Applebee's restaurant in South Carolina. So sick! And it makes me not want to eat at Applebee's anywhere every again.

Applebee's is awful. I was there once and once only. I had ordered a glass of milk and when i finished it I asked for a water. The waitress just filled up the milk glass with water, i looked at her and she knew she did something wrong but didn't bother to correct it. Not a food safety issue, but pretty sad and pathetic table service!

I really hate the fact that in an industry where a failing restaurant is the norm, places like Applebee's, Chili's, Red Robin, And TGIFridays are always busy and make killer profits. Just goes to show you how simple people are and how bad the average persons taste in food is.

Food poisoning is way more common than people think. Nearly everyone gets it at least once a year, and most likely several times. In different degrees of course. And sadly there's not much you can do about it if you like to eat out.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband suffered twice, once on Silversea and once on Seabourn. Both occasions we were mid Atlantic so the food from the galley wasn't quite right. The passenger next door also had the problem. The doctor had them "confined to barracks" for 24 hours. When the doctors a/c arrived we refused to pay as it was the shipping line that caused it.

OK, so I'll add potential food poisoning to the 27 other reasons I would not go to an Applebees.

So I guess you will steer clear of the world's top restaurants.Both the Fat Duck and Noma have had outbreaks of food poisoning and both have at times been rated the best restaurant in the world.

This is the problem with food poisoning,despite all precautions and selecting top ingredients it can still happen.On cruise ships it is often Norovirus.Whilst it can be transmitted in food it can also be picked up by placing your hand on a railing or door that has been contaminated usually by someone not washing their hands after going to a restroom.So even on a cruise liner in the middle of the ocean a diarrhoeal illness has not necessarily been due to a bug in the food.

Washing hands is the problem.Even at Medical conferences in the US I have noted that less than 50% wash their hands after using the restroom.Of those that do at least 50% just use water alone.

The CDC estimates that 3000 people die of food borne illness each year in the USA.So people should not visit the USA?

Where ever you go there is a risk of illness despite the best intentions and precautions.Here is a classic from a couple of days ago-

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-31798821

Just read a current post in member review section on sickness issues on the ship with staff in hazmat suits!! It sound like a nightmare voyage and since I am on the Shadow on Fll San franciso cruise in April I am concerned about sickness due to bad food and also wine and food quality. Was anyone else on this voyage?Thanks!!

There's a lot of norovirus around - I just got off a ship (on another line) that was in 'Code Red' for part of my cruise (extra cleaning, no self serve of food etc.) and there's been numerous other reports recently - I think it's just a hazard of cruising in winter.

I don't want to spoil the party but this whole thread is predicated on the illnesses described being ''food poisoning''.

I'm sorry, but without suitable microbiological examination this just cannot be stated as a fact. GI upsets can be caused by a myriad of agents only some of which are ingested with food/drink while others come from contact (either direct or indirect) with a carrier of the pathogrnic organism. It's the reason why one needs to be scrupulous about hand hygiene.