Mahogany Bay/Little French Key

RenoNanaOz

Any advice on which to do in Roatan? We don't want to spend the $225 on a cabana at Mahogany Bay. We prefer to be out in the sun and water so it would be a waste of money. Also for $145pp you can spend the day at Little French Key. Just wondering if anyone has done either, any advice or suggestions? Is there plenty of space at Mahogany Bay?

if you search for a review done by mistygirl she has one that talks about her experience at LFK and then there is also another review that was more recent and now can't remember her screen name but she also had some great information and pictures with the jaguar :) Made me want to book another cruise to that port just to go to LFK

I personally didn't think Mahogany Bay beach was anything to write home about, maybe it was due to the weather but the water was murky and cold, the beach felt small and crowded and absolutely does not compare to the beautiful day that can await you at Little French Key. When I stepped on to the cruise line's beach I felt like I was on a way crowded strip of New Symrna or Ormond beach. It's something I have at home.

While the walk to the vans for LFK is kind of intimidating.... it's sooo worth it. It's a short walk, but I was by myself so that may have had something to do with it, but there isn't a side walk just a coned off area a lot of the way, and as I was alone, my "unsafe unsafe" bells were going off. But that quickly went away when I saw the mob of people waiting just over the hill waiting to take cruises off to their private excursion. The best part? You only have to make that walk once. When they're taking you back to the port, they're able to pull all the way up into the parking lot.

The vans take you to Frenchy 44, the owners restaurant, where you check in and pay, and board what I can only describe as a barge with benches glued on to it. It looks rickety, but the driver was really nice, it was shady, and it got us there and back.

Little French Key is beautiful. Truly breath taking, I have never been to such a beautiful beach. There are so many animals that you can play with, and the staff really love their animals and their island.

It comes with two drink tickets and lunch. I didn't really care for the lunch, but I'm super boring and picky when it comes to food. I don't like yucca, I don't like beets, I don't like fish or lobster (But I do like shrimp.) I don't like beans! What I could eat of the lunch, was tasty, hot, and fresh.

They have a jumping platform which I didn't care for, but I'm glad I jumped off of it. A few "different" beaches, the snorkeling is pretty from what I've heard, the water is crystal clear.

The jaguar cost an additional $35 to play with, but he was just soooo beautiful, how could you resist?

Their gift shop is amazing, too. They donate a percentage of their sales to a local orphanage. The stuff is hand made. This place is just a GOOD place. All their animals are rescues and their habitats are massive. AND there's free wifi so you can upload your facebook pics and make everyone at home jealous in real time.

It has been my favorite port day in all of my cruises, I would do this again in a heart beat.

You can do Little French Key for much less than $145. We are doing either the $55 or $88 package. Can't decide. I personally have no interest in staying st manmade MB.

Thank you, I did end up seeing $88 dollar option and we booked that!!!

You will be glad you booked LFK instead of staying at Mahogany Bay. It's beautiful there. I have 2 reviews in my signature with tons of pictures. Our most recent visit was 3 months ago.

As for walking to the cabs...there are cabs right as you exit the port. If you are unable to walk out and over the hill and down, you can catch the cab right there and they will take you over for $2.:)

Sunshine Cruiser is the one [emoji5]. We did mahogany bay and I was miserable, very disappointed in most everything. The snorkeling was good but the rest of it I could have done without. Rocky beach, murky water, not very pretty imo. My sister and oldest daughter went with Victor and did the zip line and beach and had a great time. Next time I will book LFK, hopefully soon [emoji5]

History of Mahogany Bay: It was undeveloped in 2003 on my 1st trip to Roatan. I did a sailnoat excursion that had as one of its stops the small drop offl at the very far end of MB beyond the wooden pier.

A few cruises later, this wasteland became Coral Cay. I still have a refrigerator magnet as a souvenir - they attempted to clear out the limestone rocks and tried to make a beach out of it.

Carnival has now leased the property for 99 years and crushed all the limestone into "sand", that's why it sometimes feels slimy underfoot when in the sometimes cloudy or murky water. It is still a man made beach, yet a big money maker for Carnival. With several natural beaches on this jewel of an isle, it's a no brainer for me to go to those beaches and leave my money with the locals on the island..

Edited by evandbob

Thank you so much. So to book this excursion do it on my own? We usually do book on our own anyways but I've never been to this port and with it being a tender port I was a little nervous about outside booking

Roatan is not a tender port. Carnival usually uses the Mahogany Bay pier (Carnival built the shopping mall that passengers get herded into) while NCL and RCCL generally use Coxens Hole.

Just to clarify these packages aren't through the ship and we must get our own transportation to Little French Key??

The independent packages I see include round trip transport. When I went last February it was just over a 1/2 hour drive from Infinity Bay, so from Mahogany Bay it should be maybe a 15 minute drive along the main shore road.

On our way back, the driver was kind enough (enhanced tipping!) to stop at the local supermarket so we could bring goodies back to the hotel.

Just to clarify these packages aren't through the ship and we must get our own transportation to Little French Key??

The packages are not through the ship they are independent tour excursions directly form LFK. You will see the packages include transportation.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on LFK. I booked it today! (or at least submitted a request for a reservation... that's all their website allows). Mitsugirly, I LOVE your reviews, thank you!

And after reading everything about big French key, I thought this meme was funny...

lfk_zpsoozmweyu.jpg