limited alcohol brands while in port

rosiemylove

Texas law prohibits sale of certain brands of liquor, beer and wine until in international waters. ie: no Jack Daniels or Crown Royal, only Jim Beam. Does Florida have similar laws?

I'm intrigued. :confused:

What's with Texas giving Jim preference over Jack?

And why hasn't it started the Civil War all over again? ;)

JB :)

Its not that Texas law prohibits sale of certain liquor, it prohibits sale of liquor not purchased in Texas. The cruise lines choose to only stock certain brands from Texas retailers.

Thanks, I think. That makes more sense that OP.

I think that makes sense. We could get Jack Daniels and Crown Royal when we sailed NCL out of Houston Bayport Terminal but not on RCCL out of Galveston. I have never sailed out of Florida and was just wondering if we would encounter the same problem there.

There is a simple way to deal with stupid laws. Cruise lines should simply no longer use Texas ports. Then no more problem. States already gain tremendous economic benefit from having cruise ships use their ports, especially for embarkation/debarkation operations. The practice of requiring cruise ships to pay local/state taxes while in local waters is not a good trend for the industry. One wonders how long before some states try to tax any airline sales made in aircraft flying in their skies.

Hank

Texas law prohibits sale of certain brands of liquor, beer and wine until in international waters. ie: no Jack Daniels or Crown Royal, only Jim Beam. Does Florida have similar laws?

If you wish to purchase a bottle of liquor for your cabin if sailing out of Port Everglades, wait until International waters or you may be charged FL tax.