Royal Navy Dockyard

lauren0309

We're thinking of seeing the sites at the Royal Navy Dockyard the last day we are docked in Bermuda since we have limited time before returning to New York and want to stay near the ship. Is 4-5 hours time to see everything in the dockyard?

We're thinking of seeing the sites at the Royal Navy Dockyard the last day we are docked in Bermuda since we have limited time before returning to New York and want to stay near the ship. Is 4-5 hours time to see everything in the dockyard?

The Dockyard was developed as an entry point for cruise passengers because the cruise ships that are now standard are too large dock in Hamilton and St. George. You could see everything there the last day and have time for lunch at the Frog and Onion pub. The sites there are no big deal. When I was on ships that docked in Hamilton and St. George I never bothered with going to the Dockyard. My first cruise to Bermuda docked at Hamilton, Dockyard, and St.George. That day at the Dockyard was more than enough for the next ten years.

Edited by Charles4515

Lauren,

I had the same plan, and will probably stick to it, but I was warned by others that have been on the same cruise that everybody else on your ship has the same idea. the last day in port can get very busy in the dockyard.

Edited by Smitty74

Lauren,

I had the same plan, and will probably stick to it, but I was warned by others that have been on the same cruise that everybody else on your ship has the same idea. the last day in port can get very busy in the dockyard.

It can also get busy with people trying to get back to the port. I've seen buses pass by a stop, with people waiting, because they were already full. Better to deal with crowds at Dockyard than risk having problems getting back in time.

Lauren,

I haven't thought it too crowded but I don't stay at the Dockyard the whole last day. I come back from the beach or other about two hours before ship departure. However my ship departs at 4:30. NCL changing their time to 3:00 is not nice. If my ship departed that early I would probably look for tours at the Island Tour Center at the Dockyard.

It can also get busy with people trying to get back to the port. I've seen buses pass by a stop, with people waiting, because they were already full. Better to deal with crowds at Dockyard than risk having problems getting back in time.

Last year I took the Horseshoe Bay shuttle back and there were plenty shuttles and space. There were about ten empty shuttles standing by. No problem at all. But my ship left at 4:30 on Summit. We left Horseshoe at 1:30. And the other ship Breakaway was leaving later than it is now.c439308e44d2a98a07c376bc84495a26.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Visit the National Museum of Bermuda, and check out the shops.

Be aware that museum is still open, but the Commissioner's House was damaged in a hurricane a couple of years ago and is closed for repairs. Admission price is reduced as a result.