looking for advice on cruising solo out of Miami

erinmarie424

Hi all, looking at booking my first solo cruise for this September. I've settled on the date and ship and since Carnival is not very solo-friendly on their prices I'm looking to keep my other costs down a bit.

I'll be flying in the day before and would really like to stay within walking distance of Bayside Marketplace.

Any suggestions for hotels in this area? Or hotels to avoid? Or a better area to stay in?

Transportation - is the rail a realistic option? I'll just have one sturdy rolling bag and a backpack and can manage lifting, etc. The trip planner shows I can get a half mile from the Bayside area, would it be silly to try to navigate that with a rolling bag? (I have a 1/3 mile walk to my parking spot for work, and usually have a backpack and at least one other bag..... so the real question is the condition of the sidewalks, and the safety.)

I appreciate any thoughts or tips anyone can share!

Thanks!

Any suggestions for hotels in this area? Or hotels to avoid? Or a better area to stay in?

I'm no expert, but I've gone out of Miami a couple of times. Once I stayed at an airport hotel for much less than a city hotel and took a cab to the port. The cab from the airport was only a few dollars more than a cruiseline transfer for 1. I used public transit to spend a day in Miami Beach from this hotel, and that was easy to do.

The other time I used one of P____line or H__wire (don't remember which) to get the Miami Intercontinental (overlooks the port and is within walking distance of Bayside) at a big discount to the posted rates. It's been a while since I've been a regular user of either of those sites, so I don't know if there's a better place to look, but I've used betterbidding to "decipher" what hotel I'm actually being offered by those two opaque hotel sites.

Transportation - is the rail a realistic option? I'll just have one sturdy rolling bag and a backpack and can manage lifting, etc.

I used rail for the Intercontinental with the same amount of bags as you. The hotel is basically right across the street from a monorail stop, and I'd do it again (both the hotel, and rail from the airport to the hotel).

Well I'm from Miami, there's a couple of hotels near bayside but be careful around the area and the metro rail. My best bet would be something close to the airport and maybe Uber to the port of Miami. It's gonna be a long walk from bayside over the bridge to the port.

If you got any questions on night life and what areas to visit feel free to let me know.

How's the solo cruise booking going for you btw? It's been a mission for me.

I'm no expert, but I've gone out of Miami a couple of times. Once I stayed at an airport hotel for much less than a city hotel and took a cab to the port. The cab from the airport was only a few dollars more than a cruiseline transfer for 1. I used public transit to spend a day in Miami Beach from this hotel, and that was easy to do.

The other time I used one of P____line or H__wire (don't remember which) to get the Miami Intercontinental (overlooks the port and is within walking distance of Bayside) at a big discount to the posted rates. It's been a while since I've been a regular user of either of those sites, so I don't know if there's a better place to look, but I've used betterbidding to "decipher" what hotel I'm actually being offered by those two opaque hotel sites.

I used rail for the Intercontinental with the same amount of bags as you. The hotel is basically right across the street from a monorail stop, and I'd do it again (both the hotel, and rail from the airport to the hotel).

thanks for the detailed response!

Well I'm from Miami, there's a couple of hotels near bayside but be careful around the area and the metro rail. My best bet would be something close to the airport and maybe Uber to the port of Miami. It's gonna be a long walk from bayside over the bridge to the port.

If you got any questions on night life and what areas to visit feel free to let me know.

How's the solo cruise booking going for you btw? It's been a mission for me.

Thanks for the response. I had planned to get a cab or Uber from the hotel to the ship. I will be arriving mid-afternoon and would rather be near Bayside than near the airport for the evening, even though I know there is a big difference in cost. Just thought it might be fun to try the rail for a change.

I just booked today..... paid double since it's Carnival, but not regretting it... my boyfriend is done with cruises (he likes land vacations much better) and my friend that has gone with me the last two times did not want to go again this year. I had a milestone birthday this year and wanted to do something for just myself.... so I'm not TOO worried about the money, since it's kind of like a gift, but no point in throwing it out the window either. :)

Hi, I did two solo trips on the getaway out of miami and am heading on the escape next week solo too. You definately wont want to walk from bayside to the ship. I thought that was a good idea until you really see how far and uphill it is over the bridge. I thought since i could see the ships it was close but in the end a taxi was a better option. It ended up being like $12 which i thought was ridiculous for such a short drive but in the heat it was worth it. I love solo cruises! Cant wait to get on the Escape next week

Hi, I did two solo trips on the getaway out of miami and am heading on the escape next week solo too. You definately wont want to walk from bayside to the ship. I thought that was a good idea until you really see how far and uphill it is over the bridge. I thought since i could see the ships it was close but in the end a taxi was a better option. It ended up being like $12 which i thought was ridiculous for such a short drive but in the heat it was worth it. I love solo cruises! Cant wait to get on the Escape next week

Thanks for the comment. I never intended to walk from bayside to the ship but it's good to hear your experience in case I got the idea later on.

Please let us know how the Escape is and enjoy your cruise! I am going in December. This will be the 5th anniversary of the last time (to the date) I sailed from Miami.

I stayed at the Doubletree on Bayshore drive- it was a short cabride to the Port and probably even a few dollars more. I liked the hotel and had a balcony, but it was not too close to food. I did take a cab back from bayside.

Please let us know how the Escape is and enjoy your cruise! I am going in December. This will be the 5th anniversary of the last time (to the date) I sailed from Miami.

I stayed at the Doubletree on Bayshore drive- it was a short cabride to the Port and probably even a few dollars more. I liked the hotel and had a balcony, but it was not too close to food. I did take a cab back from bayside.

I am on the escape in December as well. Dec 3

I have sailed from Miami several times over the years......(always solo).

I have used Priceline and/or Hotwire and have stayed at Intercontinental

(lovely property), very near Bayside.

The last time I stayed in Miami I booked a room at Hampton Inn on

Brickell. Location is very near Mary Brickell Village....lots of restaurants,

etc.

A cab from either property to the port is not too expensive.

Thanks everyone for your responses and keep 'em coming!

Anyone have any comments on the YVE hotel? It looks like a good location and a good price on h.t.ls dot com - much lower than the other large hotels in the same area..... i don't need a fancy restaurant or pool, so don't really care to pay for them.... just wondering why the price is so low.....

Edited by erinmarie424

I've gone ahead and booked a room at Aloft - Brickell. They had a very good refundable rate and did not have a "resort fee" like YVE does. I figure I can take the train up to Bayside if I really feel the need when I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the solo cruise. You will love having the bathroom to yourself. :)

I know you said you had already booked, but did you happen to look at rates at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami? Its right across the street from Bayside. I've stayed there numerous times (solo) and love the location. The rates can be higher, but its worth it to me for the convenience of the location - always felt fine walking back across the street to my hotel at night. (You probably won't want to be doing that on the train).

Bayside Market is directly across the street. Lots of little shops and there is usually live entertainment (during the day and in the evening) on the little bandstand there. Nice restaurants right on the marina; you can also see any cruise ships over at the port. Great people watching too. :)

If you get one of the upper front rooms, you can see your ship dock in the morning. There is also a CVS 2 blocks down where you can get any necessities and that bottle of wine you're allowed to bring on.

The HIPOM breakfast is too expensive for me; I've discovered Cafe Papillon around the corner from the hotel. The breakfast sandwiches are great.

Cabs: About $27 flat rate from the airport, and then about $10 to the port.

Anyway, enjoy your solo cruise!

Just home from my solo cruise on the escape and took the train with no issue and even took the bus to south beach with my suitcase just to see what it was like. No issues doing this solo at all. Took a cab from the bayside market to the port for around $10 + tip. Something i would mention is the CVS is close to bayside if you do need some last minute items but their prices are definately inflated. The dramamine pills i often buy for my cruise are usually $2.99 for the small container and there it was $7.99 so popular cruise items are definately at inflated prices. Had an amazing solo cruise in the studio cabin on the Escape and cant wait for my next one Dec 3!!

Just home from my solo cruise on the escape and took the train with no issue and even took the bus to south beach with my suitcase just to see what it was like. No issues doing this solo at all. Took a cab from the bayside market to the port for around $10 + tip. Something i would mention is the CVS is close to bayside if you do need some last minute items but their prices are definately inflated. The dramamine pills i often buy for my cruise are usually $2.99 for the small container and there it was $7.99 so popular cruise items are definately at inflated prices. Had an amazing solo cruise in the studio cabin on the Escape and cant wait for my next one Dec 3!!

Thanks for the info!

Congrats on the solo cruise. You will love having the bathroom to yourself. :)

I know you said you had already booked, but did you happen to look at rates at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami? Its right across the street from Bayside. I've stayed there numerous times (solo) and love the location. The rates can be higher, but its worth it to me for the convenience of the location - always felt fine walking back across the street to my hotel at night. (You probably won't want to be doing that on the train).

Bayside Market is directly across the street. Lots of little shops and there is usually live entertainment (during the day and in the evening) on the little bandstand there. Nice restaurants right on the marina; you can also see any cruise ships over at the port. Great people watching too. :)

If you get one of the upper front rooms, you can see your ship dock in the morning. There is also a CVS 2 blocks down where you can get any necessities and that bottle of wine you're allowed to bring on.

The HIPOM breakfast is too expensive for me; I've discovered Cafe Papillon around the corner from the hotel. The breakfast sandwiches are great.

Cabs: About $27 flat rate from the airport, and then about $10 to the port.

Anyway, enjoy your solo cruise!

Yes, I booked at Aloft and then this weekend I cancelled the reservation because I found a deal at the new Langford Hotel that was $20 cheaper (glad I saw it when I did because it was up $20 the next day) so I will be staying there. I figure I can walk the half mile to Bayside and Uber back if it's dark. Also there's a Whole Foods two blocks away where I can grab something for dinner or breakfast (Plan B in case I don't feel like sitting in a restaurant alone that day.) But I will look at Cafe Papillon in the event i wake up early and feel like taking a walk!

Thanks for the cab cost, I am having trouble finding the cost of an UberX - when i do a dummy booking on the app it shows me the cost for the larger vehicles but not the X, although it typically shows a wait time of only 3-5 minutes. Anyone know what it would be?

I did Hampton Inn in Brickell. The Orange Line from the Miami airport drops off like 2 blocks away from there. The hotel has a port shuttle which I believe was 8 dollars, but it left later in the morning than I wanted to, so I took an Uber for like 20$.

Going to do this again probably. Booked a studio on the Getaway in September.

• 1 month later...
If you can, take the Metro rail to US 1 and Kendall and have dinner or lunch at Shorty's BBQ. Best in the world!! The sauce is a beverage to me, it's so good.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I got an even better deal at the Langford so I rebooked and I'm now planning on just using Uber to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk