Going on first cruise-Carnival Miracle.

I'm excited to go on my first cruise next year on the Carnival Miracle to The Mexican Riviera. I've looked through the threads and didn't see this question answered already.

I've read about the sail cards that track how much you owe at the end of the cruise for food and drinks. I'm wondering if it's possible to pay in cash as you go? If not, would you recommend bringing a few travelers checks to add money to my card as needed? I assume the ship accepts travelers checks and I'd prefer that over bringing huge amounts of cash.

Also, as I am someone who doesn't drink alcohol and doesn't like soda, will the ship charge me for iced tea, hot tea, or coffee? Those are my preferred drinks.

Hi there and welcome. There is a separate forum dedicated to Carnival Cruise Lines, where you can do all your research. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215<--general board

And here is the link to all the threads discussing Miracle:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/carnival/miracle<--Miracle threads

Yes, you can bring cash and add it to your account as you go along. You can also purchase onboard credit for yourself before you go. I believe they still do accept Travelers checks, but asking on the Carnival board here will get you a better answer.

Iced tea, hot tea, coffee, and lemonade are available free all day in the buffet area. I believe the machines switch from the breakfast juices to iced tean and lemonade about 11am. Maybe sooner. EM

You will HAVE to use your sign and sail card (which is also your room key!) to purchase anything on the ship. You cannot pay cash "as you go"...no place accepts cash! You can put cash ON YOUR ACCOUNT, or link your account to a credit card...your choice. If you are using cash, and you charge over a certain amount, they will contact you to go to customer service and "pay down" your balance.

Think of it like a hotel...you charge everything to your room, and settle the bill at the end!

Edited by cb at sea