NCL Gem December 2017

EMittensS

So my hubby and I are booked on the NCL Gem this December for an 11 day Caribbean out of NY.

This will be our 5th NCL Cruise, but our first on the Gem.

For those that have sailed the Gem, what are the things to do? What restaurants and bars were great? How was the entertainment?

We have a balcony cabin...

Looking for tips, ideas and your experiences!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

Gem very similar to the Jewel, Pearl and Jade. Hopefully Leo will play guitar and sing on your cruise, he is the best I have seen on any cruise, plays often at the bar on deck 6. It is a nice size ship, never felt crowded, never had any service problems on 5 cruises. As of November, 2016, they have had Second City performing several times a week for many years.

First, have fun! Second, that's our favorite ship and itinerary. Agree about hoping Leo is still playing: great performer. Our favorite bar is Spinnaker Lounge. Always things going on up there and such a view. It is our most missed space on other ships. Love The Great Outdoors buffet section for breakfasts and late night snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gem very similar to the Jewel, Pearl and Jade. Hopefully Leo will play guitar and sing on your cruise, he is the best I have seen on any cruise, plays often at the bar on deck 6. It is a nice size ship, never felt crowded, never had any service problems on 5 cruises. As of November, 2016, they have had Second City performing several times a week for many years.

Will def look out for Leo! Thanks!

First, have fun! Second, that's our favorite ship and itinerary. Agree about hoping Leo is still playing: great performer. Our favorite bar is Spinnaker Lounge. Always things going on up there and such a view. It is our most missed space on other ships. Love The Great Outdoors buffet section for breakfasts and late night snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on the Sky twice and my favorite thing was eating breakfast out back outside. I'm so excited the Gem will have this! Also looking forward to the views from the Spinnaker lounge! We are both excited!

• 1 month later...

We've pretty much immune to sailing in "rough" weather & sea conditions, short of a head-on hurricane with gale force wind. Spinmaker Lounge on Deck 13 Fwd is the best place to enjoy watching the seas with its fury - here's a short 2 minute, unedited video clips - in moderate sea conditions, waves of 10' to 12' - skies were cloudy with light rain falling. Outdoors closed - get comfortable, put on a set of headphones against noises & put on one's favorite music ... have some munchies from the buffet nearby & a favorite beverage in hand won't hurt either, relax & enjoy. Insider's tip - there are electrical outlets, you can plug in your charger for a quick boost to your tablet, iPad or phabet, if needed. A 220 Euro adapter might be needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60k07oq2lluss8j/VIDOS0505_1101.mp4?dl=0

We've now done both the short 7 days Bahamas/GSC/Nassau and 10/11 days Caribbean run on the Gem, and, I vote for the longer days.

Here's the CC published review for the Gem that I wrote up - link is here (pictures & details, etc. are under my SIGNature below)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=576754

During the day, the Bliss Lounge could be a good place for a hideaway unless it's closed for reserved or private functions, etc. (signs posted outside) Starboard side of O'Sheehans (Deck 8) is usually not busy during the day - another good place to sit back & relax, directly above the busy atrium lobby - yes, wings with the sauce on the side. Bridge Viewing Room is open, dawn to dust on sea days - Deck 11 Fwd, Portside - checkout the Mermaid too.

I too am on this sailing. Reviewing my reservation and looking at dining I see NCL has made some changes. All the dining venues show up now, and some say "too early to reserve", while others say "reservations not accepted". What surprises me is that Great Outdoors says "too early to reserve". Wondering if they are reserving tables for afternoon cocktails up there. Anyone?

We've pretty much immune to sailing in "rough" weather & sea conditions, short of a head-on hurricane with gale force wind. Spinmaker Lounge on Deck 13 Fwd is the best place to enjoy watching the seas with its fury - here's a short 2 minute, unedited video clips - in moderate sea conditions, waves of 10' to 12' - skies were cloudy with light rain falling. Outdoors closed - get comfortable, put on a set of headphones against noises & put on one's favorite music ... have some munchies from the buffet nearby & a favorite beverage in hand won't hurt either, relax & enjoy. Insider's tip - there are electrical outlets, you can plug in your charger for a quick boost to your tablet, iPad or phabet, if needed. A 220 Euro adapter might be needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60k07oq2lluss8j/VIDOS0505_1101.mp4?dl=0

We've now done both the short 7 days Bahamas/GSC/Nassau and 10/11 days Caribbean run on the Gem, and, I vote for the longer days.

Here's the CC published review for the Gem that I wrote up - link is here (pictures & details, etc. are under my SIGNature below)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=576754

During the day, the Bliss Lounge could be a good place for a hideaway unless it's closed for reserved or private functions, etc. (signs posted outside) Starboard side of O'Sheehans (Deck 8) is usually not busy during the day - another good place to sit back & relax, directly above the busy atrium lobby - yes, wings with the sauce on the side. Bridge Viewing Room is open, dawn to dust on sea days - Deck 11 Fwd, Portside - checkout the Mermaid too.

Thanks for this awesome post! I'm really looking forward to the longer cruise and the gem!!!