Wifi on Oasis?

Yes, all Royal Caribbean ships have some kind of internet. Newer ships do have wi-fi all over. But you still must go to Internet Cafe to sign-up and register your computer (or I-pad or whatever) if you don't want to use the Cafe and just use wi-fi. There is staff to help you but they give you information (maybe the wi-fi id). I never bother lugging my laptop and just use their Internet Cafe. It is no faster or slower than using the wi-fi. Also remember that when you're at sea the downloads may be quite slow. RCCL will tell you they have improved connect speeds but they are still not what I would call fast.

Oasis has unlimited wifi for around $200. You DO NOT need to go to the Internet cafe to sign up.

Internet onboard will be good enough to stream Netflix and use skype. FaceTime is hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seaofwonder

Yes, all Royal Caribbean ships have some kind of internet. Newer ships do have wi-fi all over. But you still must go to Internet Cafe to sign-up and register your computer (or I-pad or whatever) if you don't want to use the Cafe and just use wi-fi. There is staff to help you but they give you information (maybe the wi-fi id). I never bother lugging my laptop and just use their Internet Cafe. It is no faster or slower than using the wi-fi. Also remember that when you're at sea the downloads may be quite slow. RCCL will tell you they have improved connect speeds but they are still not what I would call fast.

In my experience the Connections are way faster using Wifi on my own Computer than using their Computers at the Internet cafe.

Another Advantage using my own device is reading and compiling emails offline, while on their Computers I Need to be online for this.

Speed is not what you are used to on land, but has very much improved over the last few years.

Using WiFi, Cell Phones and Internet on the Oasis of the Seas

You can access the internet on the Oasis of the Seas -- there is WiFi on the entire ship. There is also an internet cafe on the Oasis of the Seas.

The Oasis of the Seas is WiFi enabled throughout the ship including cabins. The Oasis of the Seas does provide PC's in an internet cafe on Deck 8. However, if you want to bring your own, the entire ship is WiFi enabled. You can choose from the Oasis of the Seas "pay-as-you-go" rate with your own laptop or at the various kiosks throughout the ship is a base rate is $.65 per minute or one of the following prepaid packages:

$35.00 for 60 minutes

$55.00 for 100 minutes

$75.00 for 150 minutes

$100.00 for 250 minutes

$150.00 for 500 minutes

These rates are subject to change without notice. If you need to get some work done in a quiet area other than your room, check out the Library on Deck 11.

You can make and receive phone calls and text messages (SMS) while onboard the Oasis of the Seas.

Cell phone roaming is enabled on the Oasis of the Seas, however, the system can be pricey as the price plans feature international roaming rates and data charges (this can be very expensive). Contact your mobile phone operator to ensure that your account is activated for international roaming and inquiry as to per minute rates and data charges.

As of August 2009, all the major US mobile operators as well as Rogers Wireless in Canada are available on the Oasis of the Seas. There are also several mobile operators available on the Oasis of the Seas.

Oasis of the Seas WiFi, Cell Phones & Internet Tips:

Some free minutes may be offered the first day during embarkation. Check with the internet manager for specific details.

It doesn't matter whether you bring your own computer or use the computers on the ship. The price is the same.

Think dial up speed when connecting on the ship. If you are sending emails, get all of your writing done offline and then just connect when you actually send them.

While the "CyberCabin Unlimited Internet" program did exist several years back, however, it appears that it has been discontinued.

[i copied and Pasted from a url not working right. Just remove the % sign and use the url to see my source.]

http://cruise%advice.org/CruiseShips/WiFiCellPhone.aspx?ShipName=oasis+of+the+seas

Edited by Oasis Of The Seas Expert
URL link not working

@Oasis of the Seas Expert,

Your information is a little outdated!

The Oasis (and Allure) do offer an unlimited internet package for 179USD/week.

On the other ships (at least the Navigator in late October/early November) the rates were

0.75 USD/min

Packages:

38 min / 24.95USD

90 min / 49.95USD

208 min / 99USD

555 min / 199.55USD

1666 min / 399.95USD

The FAQ on the RCI website don´t list any prices anymore but refer to "prices vary depending on the ship, ask the guest relation".

steamboats

Anyone on or just off the Oasis able to confirm all of the package options available with pricing?

I just got off Oasis yesterday. For those who wonder, the iCafe is on Deck 7 and 9 forward or deck 14 - card room aft. There are also computers in the Concierge Lounge.

The system is completely different than the other ships. I found it much worse and slower. For those with free C&A minutes you have to choose between your own wifi device or the ship's computers. You sign up on the computer you plan to use. If you sign up on the ship's computer you can forget about downloading your email to your own device. This is a horrible system in my opinion. It doesn't tell you how much time you have left at the end of a session. If you want to know how many minutes you have left when you start your next session it eats up a minute of your time while you wait for the "time left" page to load. For instance, when I started the first time and waited for that screen, it dropped immediately to 44 minutes.

One hour of time that can be used over the course of the cruise is $29.95

One day/24 hours of continuous access is $55.95.

Unlimited plan is $189.95 and only one device may be logged in at any given time.

Unlimited cruise plan special is $209.95 which means 2 devices can be logged on at any time. Meaning you and your cruise mate can use it at the same time.

Diamond plus and Pinnacle can get 25% off of these rates. I don't know the discount for other C&A members.

The only good part is that it's easy to log off. Although I had to sit on hold with guest services to find out how to log out since the link I have saved for the other ships doesn't work.

Simply type logoff.com into your browser and hit enter and you will be logged out. If you don't log out, your time will all go away. No, you won't be automatically logged out after a few minutes like on most other ships.

Gina

Using WiFi, Cell Phones and Internet on the Oasis of the Seas

You can access the internet on the Oasis of the Seas -- there is WiFi on the entire ship. There is also an internet cafe on the Oasis of the Seas.

The Oasis of the Seas is WiFi enabled throughout the ship including cabins. The Oasis of the Seas does provide PC's in an internet cafe on Deck 8. However, if you want to bring your own, the entire ship is WiFi enabled. You can choose from the Oasis of the Seas "pay-as-you-go" rate with your own laptop or at the various kiosks throughout the ship is a base rate is $.65 per minute or one of the following prepaid packages:

$35.00 for 60 minutes

$55.00 for 100 minutes

$75.00 for 150 minutes

$100.00 for 250 minutes

$150.00 for 500 minutes

These rates are subject to change without notice. If you need to get some work done in a quiet area other than your room, check out the Library on Deck 11.

You can make and receive phone calls and text messages (SMS) while onboard the Oasis of the Seas.

Cell phone roaming is enabled on the Oasis of the Seas, however, the system can be pricey as the price plans feature international roaming rates and data charges (this can be very expensive). Contact your mobile phone operator to ensure that your account is activated for international roaming and inquiry as to per minute rates and data charges.

As of August 2009, all the major US mobile operators as well as Rogers Wireless in Canada are available on the Oasis of the Seas. There are also several mobile operators available on the Oasis of the Seas.

Oasis of the Seas WiFi, Cell Phones & Internet Tips:

Some free minutes may be offered the first day during embarkation. Check with the internet manager for specific details.

It doesn't matter whether you bring your own computer or use the computers on the ship. The price is the same.

Think dial up speed when connecting on the ship. If you are sending emails, get all of your writing done offline and then just connect when you actually send them.

While the "CyberCabin Unlimited Internet" program did exist several years back, however, it appears that it has been discontinued.

[i copied and Pasted from a url not working right. Just remove the % sign and use the url to see my source.]

http://cruise%advice.org/CruiseShips/WiFiCellPhone.aspx?ShipName=oasis+of+the+seas

Forget your source. It's totally wrong. It doesn't even have the iCafe floor right.

Gina

In my experience the Connections are way faster using Wifi on my own Computer than using their Computers at the Internet cafe.

Another Advantage using my own device is reading and compiling emails offline, while on their Computers I Need to be online for this.

Speed is not what you are used to on land, but has very much improved over the last few years.

I agree. Theoretically they should be the same, but on every ship I've found their computers are noticeably slower. Probably because their desktop PCs are very slow. I measured the speed on the Allure at 2.5 mbs, certainly faster than dial-up and faster than DSL.

Doing anything on their PCs is always slower because none of your favorites and passwords are stored in the browser. You need to type in EVERYTHING for any URL. A PIA at best. When you look at your emails on their PCs you start from scratch every time. Normally with your own PC you just add to what you have already stored from the last download.

Enjoy your cruise.

Is there wifi on the Oasis? It's been a while since I have cruised... never thought to ask this before.

If so how much does it cost to connect?

Thanks!

Not sure about the costs on Oasis but it was $179 a week on Allure recently. Bloody well expensive.

I just got off Oasis yesterday. For those who wonder, the iCafe is on Deck 7 and 9 forward or deck 14 - card room aft. There are also computers in the Concierge Lounge.

The system is completely different than the other ships. I found it much worse and slower. For those with free C&A minutes you have to choose between your own wifi device or the ship's computers. You sign up on the computer you plan to use. If you sign up on the ship's computer you can forget about downloading your email to your own device. This is a horrible system in my opinion. It doesn't tell you how much time you have left at the end of a session. If you want to know how many minutes you have left when you start your next session it eats up a minute of your time while you wait for the "time left" page to load. For instance, when I started the first time and waited for that screen, it dropped immediately to 44 minutes.

One hour of time that can be used over the course of the cruise is $29.95

One day/24 hours of continuous access is $55.95.

Unlimited plan is $189.95 and only one device may be logged in at any given time.

Unlimited cruise plan special is $209.95 which means 2 devices can be logged on at any time. Meaning you and your cruise mate can use it at the same time.

Diamond plus and Pinnacle can get 25% off of these rates. I don't know the discount for other C&A members.

The only good part is that it's easy to log off. Although I had to sit on hold with guest services to find out how to log out since the link I have saved for the other ships doesn't work.

Simply type logoff.com into your browser and hit enter and you will be logged out. If you don't log out, your time will all go away. No, you won't be automatically logged out after a few minutes like on most other ships.

Gina

Thanks for the info Gina. We look forward to the unlimited even though it is a bit more than on Allure. At least we can use our diamond discount.

Did you have a nice cruise?

Andrew

Thanks for the info Gina. We look forward to the unlimited even though it is a bit more than on Allure. At least we can use our diamond discount.

Did you have a nice cruise?

Andrew

I wonder if the price on Allure is the same as Oasis. Does anyone have last week's price on Allure?

And oh, yes! We had a great time. There were over 550 D/D+/PC on board. Some cruises you just meet a lot of extra nice, fun people and this was one of them. We ate in specialty restaurants every night and had terrific meals. The biggest surprise was Vintages. We opted to eat Tapas there for dinner the last night and it sure exceeded our expectations in both quality and quantity. We also met and had our picture taken with Michael Schwartz - the 150 Central Park chef who creates the menus. He is super nice. It was the first week of 2 new menus so we ate there twice.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=michael_schwartz_1

We definitely had a fabulous, better than nice time!!

Gina

I wonder if the price on Allure is the same as Oasis. Does anyone have last week's price on Allure?

And oh, yes! We had a great time. There were over 550 D/D+/PC on board. Some cruises you just meet a lot of extra nice, fun people and this was one of them. We ate in specialty restaurants every night and had terrific meals. The biggest surprise was Vintages. We opted to eat Tapas there for dinner the last night and it sure exceeded our expectations in both quality and quantity. We also met and had our picture taken with Michael Schwartz - the 150 Central Park chef who creates the menus. He is super nice. It was the first week of 2 new menus so we ate there twice.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=michael_schwartz_1

We definitely had a fabulous, better than nice time!!

Gina

Sounds fabulous. I have heard many great things about Vintages and their tapas. It is the only spot we have yet to at eat on Oasis, so we will get there this March. I am trying to strong arm my in laws to go to either 150 or chefs table. By MIL is in, but it is my FIL who needs the prompting. ;)

Take care and thanks for the information,

Andrew

Oasis has unlimited wifi for around $200. You DO NOT need to go to the Internet cafe to sign up.

Internet onboard will be good enough to stream Netflix and use skype. FaceTime is hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just got off the oasis last week. It is true that Skype worked fairly well. I was not able to connect with FaceTime, and tried to stream netflix on my ipad which did not work at all. Internet was pretty fast, but not nearly enough to play long YouTube clips or netflix.

Thanks for the flyer with the wifi rates. Just what I was looking for. DH thinks the 60 min for $30 will work. It's nice to have the general cost figured out before we board so no BIG surprises at the end of the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums