Wearing sandals to Ephesus?

Will be visiting Ephesus this week and just either broke or severely sprained my baby toe. While I can probably squeeze my foot into running shoes, right now it is a lot more comfortable in flat soled flip flop type shoes. Can I wear this type of shoe in Ephesus or is the terrain too rocky? Thanks.

This is about what most of the site is like:

https://whereisdayna.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/image1.jpg

The Terrace houses are all man-made pathways underfoot (but lots of stairs).

I seem to remember a bit of uneven path at the end (after the theatre) but it's been a while and I have visited lots of sites since then, so I'm not sure....

Sandals might be okay if they have good soles. Lots of flip flops are designed for pool decks and I would not recommend that style. You are walking down an angled marble path so it can be slippery which is why good soles should be a must. The terrace houses are less of an issue as the stairs( lots of them) are metal.

I spend weeks walking all over Europe (including Ephesus) in my Teva Sandals. As long as you are wearing decent sandals with a good tread you will be fine. But do not even think about flip flops...as it is too easy to get them caught on something and get yourself injured.

Hank

I have worn my Ecco sandals all over Ephesus, the Acropolis, and many cobblestone streets and over volcanic rock fields. They have worked well and are not slippery. I have a very difficult time wearing shoes that enclose my toes as well. Just make sure you break them in ahead of time!:)

Thanks all. I never usually wear flip flops but now I can't have anything touch my little toe. Hope to be better by mid week!

Shop around for decent sandals (Teve, Ekko, Clarks, etc) where you can adjust the straps to avoid any contact with your toe.

Hank

I did Athens, Greek islands, Istanbul and Ephesus in Tevas that had wonderful traction. They have three adjustable straps and one is over the toe box, which would be useful to someone in your situation. They even have dressier options, though I am not sure if the traction is the same.

Enjoy your visit, Ephesus is amazing!

Will be visiting Ephesus this week and just either broke or severely sprained my baby toe. While I can probably squeeze my foot into running shoes, right now it is a lot more comfortable in flat soled flip flop type shoes. Can I wear this type of shoe in Ephesus or is the terrain too rocky? Thanks.

Two specific recommendations:

Here's a link to a Teva sandal with Velcro at the front horizontal strap. You could loosen that to accommodate your baby toe. If you click on the other photos showing different angles, you'll see some seriously safe tread on this sandal and there's no risk to the sandal coming off your foot with the ankle strap.

http://www.zappos.com/p/teva-tirra-black-grey/product/7593648/color/139

Here's a version which has the horizontal strap set farther back which should clear your pinky toe. Between the tread and its ankle strap, it's another safe shoe.

http://www.zappos.com/teva-verra-black

Incidentally, Zappos is great on delivery. Order today and you'd have it Tuesday with confidence. If you're a VIP customer you get free second day air. And the company is so nice that if you tell them your emergency, they might even give you a break on shipping if you're not a VIP customer if you tell them your shoe emergency.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I have a similar problem as the OP. I ordered Teva's but the sole is too hard for me. Instant blisters.

Have you tried liquid blister protection? Here's an excerpt from an article appearing in the online edition of Podiatry Today. This surveys many types of blister protection including a specific product in the liquid bandage category.

"Alternatives to moleskin are the “liquid” bandages such as New Skin (Medtech Laboratories, Inc.), which dries to form a tough protective covering on the skin."

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291

Edited by Pet Nit Noy