The Pearl is getting up there in age...

ChelleBee

Hi. My DH and I are considering the Pearl for a partial Panama Canal cruise in March 2016. By then the ship will be 10 years old. I was reading the member reviews for the ship, and a few of them said she was very clean but looked tired and a bit worn. Does anyone know if there is a dry-dock scheduled in the near future?

Thanks

Chelle

Hi. My DH and I are considering the Pearl for a partial Panama Canal cruise in March 2016. By then the ship will be 10 years old. I was reading the member reviews for the ship, and a few of them said she was very clean but looked tired and a bit worn. Does anyone know if there is a dry-dock scheduled in the near future?

Thanks

Chelle

You're joking right? A 10 year old ship is far from old, and people who claim that a ship looks tired and worn have no idea what they are talking about, because they have never seen a really tired and worn ship.

Dry docks sometimes take care of cosmetic things but their main purpose is to take care of the hull and props.

Don't be afraid to sail a ship that is this young.

The Pearl was in dry dock in the first half of 2013... so it won't be in for another until maybe 2018?? None of that would preclude on going maintenance and refreshes of common areas aboard the ship which will happen from time to time while underway...

Edited by cliffd64

The ships under go continuous maintenance and minor cosmetic upgrades. She won't look like the day she rolled out of the factory, but other than some occasional wear appearance items, she will still be in great shape. The crew keep all the ships as sparkling as possible on a daily basis. We love the Pearl and will be back on her for the 6th time in a month or so. An excellent ship for the PC trip or any cruise.

Hasn't there been ongoing remodeling of some of the restaurants this winter?

Just as they've done on all the Jewel class ships, Moderno has been moved from deck 8 to deck 13 to the location where the Star Bar (across from Cagney's) was. The Blue Lagoon is now O'Sheehan's Pub but it doesn't really look much different. They were in the process of changing the signs when we were onboard in November. There wasn't any major construction going on though.

Thanks

Chelle

Was on the Pearl twice last year (May and November) and think she is great and would cruise her again in a heartbreak.

If your cruise depends on whether she is in pristine shape and you will be looking for issues, I would suggest that you not cruise on her. If your cruise happiness depends on port visits, a great crew, having fun and cruising on the ocean, then I would suggest her.

If one goes in looking for issues, no matter which cruise line, you will find issues.

Thanks

Chelle

I don't know when dry dock is scheduled, but 10 years old isn't old for a ship or a plane for that matter. In fact it isn't even old for a car today. Read the reviews posted here in the review section, weigh how many talk about her age being an issue and judge for yourself. WE will be sailing her in April and I am looking forward to another wonderful cruise on a very nice ship.

Think about it! If cruise lines had to replace ships because they were 10 years old, the price of a cruise would be through the roof.

I'm looking a bit tired and worn. Hope my wife doesn't replace me.

I was thinking the same, hoping hubby doesn't replace me. GOd only knows looking a little tired is more in the minds of people who are looking for something negative to say.