Carry On Recommendation?

DnR

I need to find a new carry-on bag for my upcoming cruise. I refuse to pay baggage fees for the airlines, so I will be carrying on my bag this time.

Any recommendations for a roomy carry-on that you love?

You could probably look on ebay for this one. I have a black duffle/roller bag that says Disney Cruise Line on the side. I'm leaving tonight for a 3 night cruise and all my clothes and stuff fit in it, but it is still small enough for overheads. That and a big purse and I'm set!

Depends on the airline, be careful of some of the cheaper airlines, they tend to have smaller bag restrictions hidden in the fine print. But, other than that, all I can recommend are the bags with 4 rollers. I'm so glad I got one for my next trip, always dragging my bag behind me at security in the airports irritated me, people would always kick it, or knock it over, Now in the lines it'll wheel next to me straight up.

all I can recommend are the bags with 4 rollers.

Be aware that the "spinners" with 4 wheels have dimension issues. Those protruding wheels are included in the overall dimension limits, so there is less available dimension for the actual case.

Also note that many international carriers have smaller dimensional limits and/or weigh limits.

As for carry-ons....I have Hartmann, Tumi, and Eagle Creek. Each serves a different purpose for me and all are rock-solid. None are inexpensive.

Also, be sure to carefully inspect bags found at discounters....while most are first quality, there are also seconds and returns that get dumped into their inventory. For example, if you see a Tumi where there is a black mark across the metal barcode identifier plate in the bag, it's not covered by the factory warranty.

OP- If you plan to use your carry-on for foreign trips (especially Europe), be aware many have strict weight limits. A lot of luggage at off-price stores are there because they are heavy. Some leave only a few pounds for contents.

I have a 20" TUMI (wheels to handle) that fits wheels in in almost every overhead and is a legal carry on on every carrier (except the really small jets where there are no overheads and everything is left and then picked back up on the tarmac).

It wasn't inexpensive, however it's got around a quarter million miles on it (wow, that's kind of scary to say!) and other than some scuffs and a wine stain caused by yours truly, it's still like new. I do unzip the lining and tighten the screws for the hardware once or twice a year.

ETA: It's also very lightweight, fully loaded it's in the 15-20 pound range.

Two different bags I would recommend would be Lipault and a lightweight version of Bric's.

http://www.magellans.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lipault+

http://www.ebags.com/product/brics/xtravel-21-carry-on-spinner-trolley/146818?productid=10008635

If you like that Bric's bag, search further because I know it's sold for at least $15 less where I work. I don't work for either of the above, if I mentioned my employer they would pull my post.

Both are very lightweight nylon with soft sides that could pack more than their framed counterparts. I'd not check through either bag, not that I think the nylon is not sturdy, it's just not as sturdy as a good ballistic nylon. I like the styling on both of them. When we carried Lipault (no longer in our store) I always thought the 22" and the tote would be enough for just about anyone for a week long trip.

Two different bags I would recommend would be Lipault and a lightweight version of Bric's.

http://www.magellans.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lipault+

http://www.ebags.com/product/brics/xtravel-21-carry-on-spinner-trolley/146818?productid=10008635

If you like that Bric's bag, search further because I know it's sold for at least $15 less where I work. I don't work for either of the above, if I mentioned my employer they would pull my post.

Both are very lightweight nylon with soft sides that could pack more than their framed counterparts. I'd not check through either bag, not that I think the nylon is not sturdy, it's just not as sturdy as a good ballistic nylon. I like the styling on both of them. When we carried Lipault (no longer in our store) I always thought the 22" and the tote would be enough for just about anyone for a week long trip.

The problem with these bags is that you might not have a choice but to check through if the overhead bins are full. Food for thought.

I love Travel Pro. They aren't inexpensive, but less expensive than Tumi. They roll very easily (& the wheels are not really added dimensions to the bag like he spinners) and hold up very well. I've traveled with my current one for 3 1/2 years and it still seems new. Many flight crews use Travel Pro which is why I gave them a try initially 13 years ago. Macy's often has them on sale & I've seen them at discount stores occasionally.

I love Travel Pro. They aren't inexpensive, but less expensive than Tumi. They roll very easily (& the wheels are not really added dimensions to the bag like he spinners) and hold up very well. I've traveled with my current one for 3 1/2 years and it still seems new. Many flight crews use Travel Pro which is why I gave them a try initially 13 years ago. Macy's often has them on sale & I've seen them at discount stores occasionally.

I have TravelPro Crew 3 and agree with you....mine have been on hundreds of flights and are nearly new.

One caveat...TravelPro makes a full range of product. I wouldn't recommend their budget line if durability or empty weight of the luggage matters.

The problem with these bags is that you might not have a choice but to check through if the overhead bins are full. Food for thought.

The bags are both more or less comparable with your 20" Tumi (size wise), but probably less than half the weight. Some manufacturers include both the top handle and the wheels in their measurements, some just the case itself.

For durability, you cannot beat Tumi, unless you go to Hartmann or another high end brand that I'm not familiar with. You then also have to deal with a heavier bag, since the higher end bags are built with stronger materials and framing.

The bags I made reference to are both lightweight, easy to handle and would pack plenty for the size luggage. Both cost a fraction of what a Tumi bag would cost and I take the style of travel for a person into consideration when recommending. For a casual traveler that only travels 1 - 5 times per year, the cost of Tumi may be too high.

I read all the time where people recommend places like Ross or Marshalls or TJ Maxx for luggage purchase and that is fine if all you want is a cheap piece that will endure a few years of casual travel. If you are a frequent traveler, a better case, especially carry on size, is a wise investment. I do think Tumi makes the roomiest pieces if you can afford the price.

Archived