Where & what for 4 days in Boston area

cwgrltx22

Hello-

we are taking our first New England cruise & are coming in 4 days early to tour the area. Reading thru boards & checking several online hotel booking sites, Boston hotels are way too expensive. We are arriving Sept. 24, 2014 & plan to rent a car to make some day trips prior to ship departure on 28th.

I read staying NW of Boston near Concord/Lexington/Waltham is good option, but is it the best centralized location? We have never been to the area & are open to suggestions. My husband is a big history lover so of course Concord is on the list. Am I correct in understanding we can take a train when we go into Boston & is that the best option? Being from Texas, we drive everywhere, but we are both relatively active & can walk good distances if taking trains is the way to go.

Any advice on hotel location & sights will be appreciated!

Thanks- Janet

I'm a proud graduate of Lexington High School - but that was more than 40 years ago so I'm no help on hotels :p.

I do want to recommend that you tour Lexington and Concord beginning in the order of battle. Start in Lexington and be sure to stop at the visitors center to get oriented. In addition to the Lexington Green, there are three colonial houses worth visiting nearby. http://www.lexingtonma.gov/portal/visitors.cfm. Then proceed to Concord via Mass Ave and enter the Minuteman National Historic Park. http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm. The Park has a visitors center shortly after leaving Lexington and another at the North Bridge.

Thank you Thank you!- 1025cruise, capriccio & Arusha

I will check links provided & begin to make our daily plans. Love the specifics in your advice & look forward to any other recommendations.

The hotels off of I-95/128 in Waltham/Lexington/Concord are all pretty centrally located, and a good choice if you want the freedom to explore more of MA than just Boston & Cambridge. If you plan on doing a lot of Boston sightseeing, the Waltham/Lexington hotels (namely the ones on Winter St/Totten Pond Rd) are a bit closer to the action. Even if its just 3 exits closer, it makes a difference when there is traffic.

There are commuter rail trains in Waltham and Belmont, but honestly they don't run very often. Your best bet is to park your car at Riverside station and take a green line "Trolley" (part of the subway "T" system) in to the city. It is right off of the highway. Driving and parking in Boston can be a real headache, and since the city is so walkable and has a comparatively efficient subway system, most people choose not to drive in. Even if you do choose to drive into Boston, I suggest finding a flat fee lot (kind of hard on weekdays, but easy on weekends) and leaving your car there for the day and using your feet and public transit to get around. If you're doing sightseeing outside of Boston/Cambridge/Newton... then a car is a must and will be more like what you are used to.

Also, the city of Boston is chock full of history, as I am sure you are aware. You can never go wrong with following the Freedom Trail, especially if it will be your first time here.

If you wind up staying out in Waltham, on the Waltham/Watertown border is Gore Place, which is the former governor's mansion and has tours and other activities (and is one of the more local/off the beaten path destinations).

If you're looking to get some nice walking in, I am a huge fan of the Charles River Reservation. It's basically a system of paths along the Charles that goes from Needham, MA to Boston Harbor in Boston/Charlestown. It goes through Waltham and you can check it out at various points along the way.

If you are into Beer at all, there are two fun, well-known breweries in Boston: Sam Adams and Harpoon. Both tours include tasting, and Harpoon also has a beer hall where you can buy pints and soft pretzels. It's a bit of a trek out of the city, but since it sounds like you'll have a rental car, you can check out Jack's Abby in Framingham, MA... one of my personal favorites.

Are there any other types of activities you are most interested in?

Thank you so much Dajbman22 for all the excellent advice! There is nothing specific we are looking to do, just take in as much as we can. We will spend a day in Boston & take in the Freedom Trail surely, but driving to various locations in the area is what we will probably do most. Enjoying the Fall temps & foliage while seeing a part of the US we have never visited. My husband is retired Air Force so not only US history, but military history are big. Any uncommon or interesting sights that are within a few hours of where we are staying would be great to know also. National parks or where to go for best pictures of the Fall colors. In Texas we are use to driving several hours to take in the sights since the state is so large & we are centrally located.

My husband will also want to visit the taverns you recommended as he loves a good beer or two.

Post back when you focus on accommodations. Hotwire is a good resource for Newton/Waltham or Burlington/Lexington/Woburn. Hotels will have good access to 128 and any 3* + hotel with a high approval rating should suit. These hotels cater primarily to business travelers and tend to be located near shopping and restaurants.

My advice is to plan your day in Boston for Saturday. You can drive and park at Alewife T station ($7) and take the faster Red Line train right to Park St. In downtown Boston. You also will have the option of getting off Harvard Square to check that out. During the week the parking at this station fills up by about 9 am, so unless you're an early starter, parking is not assured at this station.

Although a little further out, Concord is charming and has the Colonial Inn plus several Bed and Breakfasts. Be aware that your dates at the end of September are early for fall foliage.

Here are some web sites for Lexington and Concord.

http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

http://www.concordma.com/visiting.html

http://concordchamberofcommerce.org/visitor-information/

http://www.lexingtonma.gov/portal/visitors.cfm

Downtown Lexington has metered and paid parking. Concord has metered street parking and free off street parking if you look around. All the National Park parking is free.

Lowell is another town to check out - home of the Industrial Revolution and another National Park. http://www.nps.gov/lowe/index.htm

This area is my home turf, so feel free to ask any questions.

Post back when you focus on accommodations. Hotwire is a good resource for Newton/Waltham or Burlington/Lexington/Woburn. Hotels will have good access to 128 and any 3* + hotel with a high approval rating should suit. These hotels cater primarily to business travelers and tend to be located near shopping and restaurants.

My advice is to plan your day in Boston for Saturday. You can drive and park at Alewife T station ($7) and take the faster Red Line train right to Park St. In downtown Boston. You also will have the option of getting off Harvard Square to check that out. During the week the parking at this station fills up by about 9 am, so unless you're an early starter, parking is not assured at this station.

Although a little further out, Concord is charming and has the Colonial Inn plus several Bed and Breakfasts. Be aware that your dates at the end of September are early for fall foliage.

Hi Carol-

Looking at the Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury & it seems reasonably located to Concord/Lexington & Boston. Thoughts on this area? Thanks!

That area is fine, but I don't consider it convenient to Concord and Lexington at all - at least 20-30 minutes away on back roads that can be a real PITA during rush hours. You really should be looking at something with better access to I95. Have you looked at Burlington? What made you focus on a Fairfield Inn on route 20 in Sudbury?

Hi Carol-

Looking at the Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury & it seems reasonably located to Concord/Lexington & Boston. Thoughts on this area? Thanks!

My 2 cents......

The 'trick' to staying in the 'burbs as a tourist is finding a place that has reasonably convenient access to the city in particular, as well as other sights.

These suburban hotels are most often used by business people visiting companies close by, afaik.

You are basing your "reasonably located" simply on location on a map perhaps, and not other factors.

The nearest T commuter rail stop into the city is probably Acton, not so close and with limited parking.

But insofar as traveling by car, you have not understood that the area could be quite isolating at certain hours (from very early until maybe 10 am and after 3:30 until maybe 7:30) because of traffic volume. So you may be eager to get out to see the sights and are stuck in traffic inching along. Or you are tired from a day of touring, hungry, but can't get back to the hotel to rest and refresh.

Route 20 is one lane in each direction in most places, and thousands of cars use it at morning and evening rush hours (meaning traffic is often stopped or going 10mph for many miles for a good part of the morning and evening). And it connects to 95/128 which also stops or slows on large sections, as does the Mass Pike (rt. 90).

Back roads across to Concord would require a GPS, some of the same patience, and a sense of adventure, for someone not native to the area.

A commute outward from the city to the suburbs (and any sights outside the city) in the morning and inward in the evening, against most of the traffic flow, usually avoids most of the problem areas.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Well said.

I'm prejudiced towards the Concord, Burlington, Bedford, Lexington area because that is my home territory. I commuted into Boston for many years on the train and subway. I personally like Alewife T Station, but the parking does fill up by 9 am on a weekday. However, if you want to go into Boston for the late afternoon and evening, there is no problem parking because garage spaces have opened up by mid afternoon. That why I suggested leaving your all day trip into Boston for Saturday.

In that area if you stay off the roads between 7 and 9 am and 4 to 6 pm, traffic can be busy, but generally not impossible. If you're doing Lexington and Concord, access to route 128/I95 is critical so you can go an exit or two to take route 225 into Lexington or route 2A into Concord. The hotels in Burlington are well placed for this. When you ultimately go to the pier on a Sunday morning, it's only 20-30 minutes via route 128 and I93. You may want to drop off your luggage first, return your car to the airport, and take the free Silver Line ride back to Black Falcon.

I have to say, while staying out in the suburbs is a good idea if you plan on exploring beyond just Boston, Sudbury really isn't the best choice. You want to stick to a place within a mile or two of either I-95 (rt.128), I-93, or I-90 (Mass Pike) and preferably within a 5-10 minute drive of a T station (subway, not commuter rail). As others have mentioned, Rt 20 is one lane most of the way from Sudbury into Boston and gets very backed up during rush hour in both directions. My wife used to work in Sudbury and I work in Belmont (due east of those Waltham/Lexington hotels on I-95) and in the mornings it would take about 45 minutes just to get from dropping her off to my office. It's not a fun ride at all.

I suggest looking for something a bit closer in and closer to major highways/mass transit.

Well said.

I'm prejudiced towards the Concord, Burlington, Bedford, Lexington area because that is my home territory. I commuted into Boston for many years on the train and subway. I personally like Alewife T Station, but the parking does fill up by 9 am on a weekday. However, if you want to go into Boston for the late afternoon and evening, there is no problem parking because garage spaces have opened up by mid afternoon. That why I suggested leaving your all day trip into Boston for Saturday.

In that area if you stay off the roads between 7 and 9 am and 4 to 6 pm, traffic can be busy, but generally not impossible. If you're doing Lexington and Concord, access to route 128/I95 is critical so you can go an exit or two to take route 225 into Lexington or route 2A into Concord. The hotels in Burlington are well placed for this. When you ultimately go to the pier on a Sunday morning, it's only 20-30 minutes via route 128 and I93. You may want to drop off your luggage first, return your car to the airport, and take the free Silver Line ride back to Black Falcon.

No particular reason for Sudbury, other than price & the room has kitchen. My husband has a special diet & it is convenient for having breakfast & avoiding having to eat out for every meal. Things here in Texas are much more spread out & driving 30+ min. to get anywhere is common. We will not be trying to deal with either morning or evening commuters & I was just trying to explore all options.

The Candlewood Suites in Burlington was also on the short list, but conflicting reviews on Tripadvisor vs Hotel site was a little concerning. I know hotels can't be everything to everyone, but I try to do my homework so its less of a crap shoot.

Great tip on dropping luggage @ terminal before dropping car back to airport! I was wondering how we were going to manage since we have never done a pre cruise stay before.

Please everyone keep posting suggestions, as they are appreciated.

We will not be trying to deal with either morning or evening commuters...

So you will not be starting your day of sightseeing until after 9:30-10am and will be back at the hotel for the night before 3:30 or 4 each day?

Ok, I have made reservations at Sonesta ES Suites in Burlington. Reviews looked good & it seems to be a better location based on everybody's feedback. Thanks all for your advice!

Additional thoughts on sights to see is welcome. We are planning on Lexington/Concord & wondered if those can be combined to fill a day or if more than a day will be needed.

The Freedom Trail & all its stops are for sure also.

I think you will be happy with the Sonesta. It's tucked back in on a side road between the Burlington Mall and the Middlesex Mall where there is a Market Basket supermarket.

You can easily get to Lexington Center on local streets - just before getting to Middlesex Mall you can make a right on Adams and follow it to Hancock St to Mass Ave right in Lexington Center.

To get to Concord Center on local streets, you can go the other way past Burlington Mall to the intersection with route 62. Make a left and follow route 62 through Bedford Center and on to Concord Center. This may not be the fastest way, but it's a pretty ride.

These local roads are usually good options if you find yourself out and about during the afternoon rush hour and they are certainly a much nicer drive than spending all your time on the highways.

Alewife T station is no more than 15 minutes from your location. Go south on route 128 3 exits to Route 2 and go east a few miles to the T station.

Try to avoid route 2 westbound between 128 and Concord - it is under construction. Route 2A is the alternate route - much more scenic and relaxing to drive - this the "Battle Road" through the National Park. Personally I avoid the Concord stretch of route 2 as much as possible.

Much more convenient location.

Lexington and Concord can be done in a day.

Other sights:

You could drive up the coast, stopping to see the architecture in Newburyport, lovely Plum Island reserve, classic Nubble Light, and walk the rocky coastline of Marginal Way in Ogunquit. Plenty of good restaurants for lunch along the way.

You could explore architecture, the witch history and the excellent PEM in Salem, and enjoy Salem Willows.

You could see the working waterfront of Gloucester, visit house museums and a lighthouse, sample good restaurants, and go on to the shops and art of Rockport.

You could drive down to Newport to see the mansions and wander the town and Cliff Walk.

You could go to the Whaling Museum in New Bedford and the retired navy ships in Fall River's Battleship Cove.

You could spend a day seeing historic Fort Warren and visiting some of the other islands in Boston Harbor.

• 3 weeks later...

You could also park and take the train from the Anderson transportation center in Woburn, a few exits north from your hotel. It's at the junction of 128/95/93. For getting you in and out of the city you'd avoid Rte 2 altogether.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/stations/?stopId=241

Fun (or at least interesting) fact - it's the location where the toxic waste from the old tanneries was dumped in the movie A Civil Action (John Travolta movie). They cleaned it up and named it after a little boy who was one of the victims. I think his mother was one of the people who spearheaded the movement to make the companies responsible. At any rate, it's all cleaned up and good parking/train access.

If you're doing Lexington/Concord, you could stop at Walden, or the Louisa May Alcott home. Other literary sites as well.

From your location it would be easy to head north on 128/95 to Salem/Gloucester/Cape Ann, if you're interested in old colonial maritime/whaling/witch trial history (most of the "real" witch trial stuff is in Danvers, not Salem) as well as scenic places like Marblehead and Rockport.

Your hotel is less than an hour from the NH border, and you could get to Rhode Island in about 45 mins and Northern CT in an hour. So pretty much anything you want to see in MA you can get to for a day trip if you want to badly enough (except maybe Provincetown and the furthest western towns along the NY border).

You definitely don't want to drive (or pay to park) in Boston.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

• 2 weeks later...

If I was you and your husband and was only in boston area for 4 days prior to a cruise, I would be checking in to hotel day 1 and seeing lexington and concord.

Day 2 I would walk the freedom trail and see the USS Constitution.

Day 3 I would go to Newport RI and see the Mansions and Fort Adams

Day 4 I would check out and go right to BFP because the traffic stinks

IF I read that wrong and you are there one more day than its Plimouth Plantation for me.