Chilean Fjords; Magellan Strait

caazcruzin

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity 1/3/16 sailing from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The itinerary has several "cruising days" which I believe are sea days. There are also 2 days called "Chilean Fjords" and "Magellan Strait". There are no ports on those days but they seem to be distinct from "cruising days". Just trying to clarify if these days are slowly moving through scenic areas and if there might be special narration or information given while this is going on. Thanks to anyone who might know the answer!

We are taking a Navmag boat trip through that area next spring. There are no ports or roads but lots of narrow channels, islands, fjiords, etc. I have seen some film clips and this is a specatcular area. I don't know what route you will be able to take on your larger ship but I gather there should be some great scenery.

Punta Arenas is the only city in the Magellan Strait. We couldn't stop there, port was closed due to high winds. The entire area is so sparsely populated that you will rarely see another ship or even a house. The channels are narrow, wild and rocky, where the trolls live. ;-) Expect weather to be on the cool side.

We have been on the Infinity from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. While there was special narration when visiting Cape Horn there was no special narration while cruising through the Chilean fjords. However the naturalist was set up in the observation lounge for those who wanted to join him.

We are also on the January 3, 2016 Infinity cruise. My assumption is that when we are "cruising" we are close enough to land to have some scenic views of glaciers, forests, hopefully wildlife, etc, while on "sea days" we are probably beyond the 3-mile territorial coastline for each country.

We were on Infinity 5 Jan 2014 from BA to Valpo. The straits of Magellan were just before we tendered at Punta Arenas. Intersting, but not as awesome as Cape Horn and the Glaciers after we left Punta Arenas.

Also, the Chilean Fjords was awesome. That was a fairly lengthy time going thru the Fjords.

We loved the Around the Horn cruise, one of our favorites.

• 2 months later...

Yes, scenic cruising with ice floes at times, watch towers, sail boats.

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity 1/3/16 sailing from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The itinerary has several "cruising days" which I believe are sea days. There are also 2 days called "Chilean Fjords" and "Magellan Strait". There are no ports on those days but they seem to be distinct from "cruising days". Just trying to clarify if these days are slowly moving through scenic areas and if there might be special narration or information given while this is going on. Thanks to anyone who might know the answer!

We cruise there earlier this year and it is pretty much as you say, as we were moving along slower. Ours was a small ship (800) so we went right into some smaller fjords and right up to the glaciers. Our pilot was great and supported our Excursions Manager who narrated for us for us. It really made a difference. I would also highly recommend you get a copy of this map

Patagonian and Fuegian Channels - Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart.

We stuck it on our wall with magnets and found it really helpful in knowing exactly where we were. It's waterproof and tear-resistants. We got ours on Amazon.

Tartan...

which ship were you on?

I think we would prefer a small ship to this trip

Can anyone please compare Chilean fjords with those of Norway or Alaska's inland waterway?

• 3 weeks later...
Tartan...

which ship were you on?

I think we would prefer a small ship to this trip

Can anyone please compare Chilean fjords with those of Norway or Alaska's inland waterway?

It was a uk based line and we sailed from England, so wouldn't be any use for you. We did a 70 day trip!

Tartan...

I can only compare to Norway. In Norway, the fjords have steep slopes, the hills are green and there are villages. The fjords open to the ocean.

In Chile, most of the inner passage is separated from the open sea by islands. At times it is very narrow. Many of the slopes are bare granite and there are no villages for long stretches, maybe a glacier. It is a sparsely inhabited wild landscape where the trolls immigrated when Norway became too crowded. (just kidding)

• 3 weeks later...

It was slower cruising, within view of the shoreline, so excellent landscape. Also sailboats sailing in cooooold winds! Nice to grab a hot beverage and find a balcony or deck chair.

I'm on the Norwegian Sun which leaves the day before. Yes I wondered what would happen. I assumed it would be like the Panama Canal or when we have sailed along the Napali Coast with an onboard narration. I guess I won't know until I'm onboard.