Alcohol Carry On Policy on Disney

Cachco

The Disney website states alcohol is permitted on board provided it is brought in the carry on bag by an adult 21 or older. However, it is not clear like other ships that may state you can only bring a bottle of wine or champagne. Based upon experience, what are you allowed to bring? Is it only wine or champagne or any type of alcohol? And is it limited to a specific quantity?

The Disney website states alcohol is permitted on board provided it is brought in the carry on bag by an adult 21 or older. However, it is not clear like other ships that may state you can only bring a bottle of wine or champagne. Based upon experience, what are you allowed to bring? Is it only wine or champagne or any type of alcohol? And is it limited to a specific quantity?

Current policy is that you may bring onboard whatever and as many beverages (alcohol, sodas, water) as you wish. Only requirement, as PP said, is that it be carried on, not in checked luggage.

:)

So in theory my whole bag can be alcohol? Wow that's amazing. Not that I would do it, but still.

They just tightened it up to allow for carry on drinks only. They also ask that you not drink your carry-on drinks in the public spaces. Apparently there were some abusing the lax rules so they de-laxed them. You can bring wine to the dining rooms and it's subject to a corkage fee. If you don't finish your wine, it will be brought to the next dining room on the next night for you. That's the beauty of rotational dining.

We brought a 1.75 lit. citrus vodka, and two 24oz. cans of twisted tea i know its an odd combo, but the TT's were left over from night before and we just put them in my wife's purse and straight through, no questions.

So in theory my whole bag can be alcohol? Wow that's amazing. Not that I would do it, but still.

aww, why not? :D

i guess we're lushes, we had a pilots size carry-on full of our drinks. in our backpack we had 6-8 bottles of water.

to be fair there were 6 cans of Pepsi in the carry-on because I can't drink Coke. but the rest was 2 6-pk of beer, bottle vodka, bottle rum and small bottle of scotch. with some t-shirts wrapped for protection.

as long as everything fits through the scanner and is sealed they don't care. we did have some left over, and no one at customs batted an eye or even asked/checked.

i can neither confirm nor deny if some vodka made it into a cup of Eye Scream frozen ice cream/yogurt up on the pool deck;) but we enjoyed it all on our balcony... oh i'm sorry, it's disney... our Verandah :p

They just tightened it up to allow for carry on drinks only. They also ask that you not drink your carry-on drinks in the public spaces. Apparently there were some abusing the lax rules so they de-laxed them. You can bring wine to the dining rooms and it's subject to a corkage fee. If you don't finish your wine, it will be brought to the next dining room on the next night for you. That's the beauty of rotational dining.

just not sure I totally understand the statement in bold.

we did Anytime dining on Princess and had the same service. You just tell your server that you have a bottle of wine stored from the previous night, they ask your room number and they go fetch it. That's what the corkage fee is supposed to be paying for.

we did Anytime dining on Princess and had the same service. You just tell your server that you have a bottle of wine stored from the previous night, they ask your room number and they go fetch it. That's what the corkage fee is supposed to be paying for.

It's about the same. With rotational dining, you have the same servers every night. They already know that you have a bottle and should have it on your table without being asked.

Technically the corkage fee covers the loss of selling a bottle off the restaurants list, the cost of the wine stems usage, and the cost of the service. It does not replace the tip to the sommelier or wine steward for the lost sale, and those who BYOB should keep that in mind when tipping. The corkage fee generally goes entirely to the house, with none passing to the server or sommelier.

Technically the corkage fee covers the loss of selling a bottle off the restaurants list, the cost of the wine stems usage, and the cost of the service. It does not replace the tip to the sommelier or wine steward for the lost sale, and those who BYOB should keep that in mind when tipping. The corkage fee generally goes entirely to the house, with none passing to the server or sommelier.

Oh I understand what it is ACTUALLY paying for, but establishments when instituting the corkage fees would always claim (and rightly so) that the corkage fee is not just for popping open the bottle, it is for the extra care and attention that the server is now providing. So that you now are paying for a 'service' rather than just paying a 'surcharge' to make up for lost revenue. Try to provide all the service yourself (opening, pouring, etc) and see if you get out of the 'corkage' fee.

Everyone spins it to try to make it more palatable to the consumer (your paying for added value rather than supplementing my lost revenue...) and so since they are going to call it a 'corkage fee' rather than a 'surcharge' or 'recouping potential lost profit' a service is expected in return. On a cruise ship the service expectation (of some) would be to have the bottle stored for the next night - for me, there's hardly ever anything in the bottle after the meal :) In fact, the only reason we had the bottle the next night on our Princess cruise was because hubby didn't have his usual 2nd glass. So they held a bottle with 1 glass of wine... nice guys.

Please tell me why you would bring along bottled water. :confused:

For when we leave the ship in Port and don't want to pay $2 or more per bottle on the excursion. It's cheaper to bring a few bottles on than pay for the ship's water package or get bottles in port. If money is no object, then most would only bring it if you had a particular brand of bottled water you preferred.

Otherwise the ship's water is satisfactory.

For when we leave the ship in Port and don't want to pay $2 or more per bottle on the excursion. It's cheaper to bring a few bottles on than pay for the ship's water package or get bottles in port. If money is no object, then most would only bring it if you had a particular brand of bottled water you preferred.

Otherwise the ship's water is satisfactory.

We just bring our own water bottles, and fill them with ship's water for excursions.

So if I understand correctly there is only a corkage fee if you bring a bottle of your own wine to dinner? Anyone know what the corkage fee is?

When we sailed on NCL a couple of summers ago we were alowed to bring on wine but we had to pay a $15 corkage fee per bottle before going on the ship. We purchased good in expensive wine so with the $15 fee each it was still cheaper then the wines on the ship

Thanks

So if I understand correctly there is only a corkage fee if you bring a bottle of your own wine to dinner? Anyone know what the corkage fee is?

When we sailed on NCL a couple of summers ago we were alowed to bring on wine but we had to pay a $15 corkage fee per bottle before going on the ship. We purchased good in expensive wine so with the $15 fee each it was still cheaper then the wines on the ship

Thanks

Before going on the ship? Now that's an interesting policy.

Thanks

The corkage fee is $18 (or $20), assesed in the MDR when they open the bottle.

The more I have been thinking about this the more I'm leaning towards just doing one of the wine packages. I remember on the NCL cruise it was a pain trying to carry the bag of wine around waiting to get on board along with our other carry ons.

If I bring my own wine and want to have some with dinner, I pay the corkage fee . If I just keep the wine to have in my room but want wine with dinner we pay for what we order.

Could end up pretty much being even in the end but for the convenience of not carrying around the wine while getting on board, the wine package may be the way to go.

The positive about having the list on the website, I can taste them at home prior to ordering so I'll know what I like!!!

Archived