Need Hotel in San Deigo

rnbtr

Looking for a hotel in San Deigo for 2 nights before my Feb 9 cruise . I have been on Hot wire but can not decide between the Gaslight district or harbor Island.

I dont mind if I have to take a shuttle from the airport or too the pier, Iam looking to keep the cost down..

Here's a very nice hotel close to the airport and cruise port:

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina

1380 Harbor Island Drive · San Diego, California 92101 · United States

We've stayed here several times while visiting San Diego. Never pre or post cruise (getting ready for my 1st cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale in March!!) But I would highly recommend the Sheraton. Centrally located to everything in San Diego. Zoo, SeaWorld, Downtown, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites on Pacific Highway.

Within walking distance of Midway, The Fish Market next to Midway has great food, within walking distance to Seaport Village and Horton Plaza.

And the bus stops in front if you want to go to the Zoo.

I saw this list on the pre & post cruise vacation list on Carnival.com. Not sure if this is a good price or not. http://www.carnival.com/cms/static_templates/preandpost_cruisevacations.aspx

Kathie......how was the Hampton Inn? We'll be staying there this coming March, for one night, before our cruise to Mexico. Are the trains that go by the hotel really that loud at night?.......I'm assuming that the trains stop in the middle of the night and start up again early morning. Any info you can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks!

DMLEE1990-We were on the side with the trains, but it wasn't a big deal. Didn't hear any overnight and we weren't in the room very much. For one night it wasn't a problem.

We ate dinner at Anthony's Fish House, a 3 block walk from the hotel. We walked over with couple from our hotel, who are almost neighbors from home, and a couple who live N. of SD and were also on our cruise met us there. It's a very nice restaurant on the water.

We took advantage of the free Hampton shuttle from the airport and to the ship. From the airport I called the hotel after we got our bags and told them where we were. The door we needed to leave from was right there. Outside there was a waiting area for buses, cabs and shuttles. Ours came in 5 min., but there were other pax in different terminals who had been waiting an hour. We were in the right place at the right time, lol.

I second the Seven Seas- cheap, clean, walking distance to a mall, free shuttle. When i go to conventions in SD, I stay there. heck, even though I could stay at the Town and Country across the street where the conventions occur, which is more more $, and I don't pay, I still prefer 7 Seas! I even went there once with the family for a quick, cheap vacation. Oh, and they also excellent, free wife.

I'll be staying there again this saturday before boarding the Dawn Princess.

Looking for a hotel in San Deigo for 2 nights before my Feb 9 cruise . I have been on Hot wire but can not decide between the Gaslight district or harbor Island.

I dont mind if I have to take a shuttle from the airport or too the pier, Iam looking to keep the cost down..

I would highly recommend the downtown/Gaslamp district. Lot's of places to eat and shop within easy walking distance. Seaport Village is a great place to shop and picnic out in the adjacent park. You can also take advantage of the water taxi which leaves from Seaport Village and travels across the bay to Coronado Island which I believe is only $5 per person round trip. I just booked the Hotel Solamar in this area for $100 per night on Priceline for Jan 18-20. I requested a 4 star hotel in the "Downtown San Diego & Harbor Island" area.

Two years ago with plenty of planning I rolled the dice on Priceline and got a four star Hotel next to the Gaslight Distric. Our win was the Westin and it was a very pleasant experience. We had dinner at "Anthony's that night and walked to the port the following morning for our cruise. Note: I have had good experiences with Hotwire. Tim

I am going to use Hot wire and the quotes for the Gaslight area are a 182 a night for a 4 star or 4 star at 154 in Downtown harbor Island area. Which you go for ? can I get around the city with PT fro HArbour Island area If not it may pay to go for 182 a night Thnaks in advice for your help

Have you looked at La Pensione Hotel in Little Italy - about $100 per night - great location - all rooms have 1 queen bed. If you book directly with them at their local number, instead of the 800 number, you will save a few bucks. Nothing fancy - close to airport and cruise terminal – no shuttle – but cab ride is only about $10.

http://www.lapensionehotel.com/

Tom

We are driving to San Diego and thinking of staying overnight at the Seven Seas and using their long-term parking and port shuttle. The lot is supposed to have a security guard at night.

The Best Western Bayview was also recommended however after reading about construction noise and the smallish parking slots...we are wondering if we are better off at Seven Seas?

Jolie I am not in San Diego but have read up on the parking and Hotels in the area. My first question, does anyone have any problems walking & being able to handle several pieces of luggage for walk to Terminal. When I checked the parking across the street, they wanted $ 15/day, compared to the Park N fly near the Airport for $ 11/day and Shuttle. I was also consdering the Best Western Bayside and we would be staying if on our own, but our Roll Call got a great price at the HI Bayside near the Hotel with shuttle to the terminal.

Jolie I am not in San Diego but have read up on the parking and Hotels in the area. My first question, does anyone have any problems walking & being able to handle several pieces of luggage for walk to Terminal. When I checked the parking across the street, they wanted $ 15/day, compared to the Park N fly near the Airport for $ 11/day and Shuttle. I was also consdering the Best Western Bayside and we would be staying if on our own, but our Roll Call got a great price at the HI Bayside near the Hotel with shuttle to the terminal.

GWoodman,

If you stay in the Downtown/Gaslamp district, there are plenty of places to eat, shop, etc and your no more than a few blocks from the cruise terminal. Probably farther than you will want to walk with your luggage, but it shouldn't be too bad for a cab. I would also seriously consider trying Priceline.com for the Downtown/Gaslamp district. We recently started our bidding at $80/night for a 4* hotel and increased in $5 increments eventually winning the Hotel Solamar for $100/night. The cheapest I can find this hotel anywhere else on line is $250/night. If you have never used Priceline.com try the following message board for help: http://www.betterbidding.com

As for parking, try the following link: http://www.longtermparking.com/COUPONS/cpmissionsan2.htm

This is a secure lot @ $6.75/day with a shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. They even accept reservations on line so your guaranteed a parking spot, how sweet is that!!!

Happy cruising...

Hi John, we are set with our Hotel, Jolie was one asking about parking etc. I will however check out the Web site on the parking for future referance. Our Roll Call is staying at the HI Bayside as we got a fabulous Group Rate incl Car, for our Oct 11, 2008 hawaii Cruise. thank you for the information.

Gay

Radiance of the Seas to Hawaii oct 11, 2008 Roll Call

>>I second the Seven Seas- cheap, clean, walking distance to a mall, free shuttle. When i go to conventions in SD, I stay there. heck, even though I could stay at the Town and Country across the street where the conventions occur, which is more more $, and I don't pay, I still prefer 7 Seas! I even went there once with the family for a quick, cheap vacation. Oh, and they also excellent, free wife.<<

;) Wow, the hotel business really is competitive, isn't it! They are really uping the ante on amenities here!!

(Sorry but I simply couldn't resist - I know it's just a typo, but it gave me a good chuckle here on this super grey January morning!)

Archived