San Juan Fort Entry Costs?

CHolliwood

We will be in San Juan in April and we are wanting to go to the Forts on our own, could someone tell me if it is within walking distance from where we dock, or do we need to take a taxi? This is our first time in San Juan.

Thanks

If you are docking in Old San Juan, yes, it's all very walkable. (Uphill to the your first fort, but only a problem if you have mobility issues.) We were just there last month. OSJ is quite compact, and we had a very enjoyable day walking to El Morro (stopping at the Cathedral along the way), then to San Cristobal, then having a fabulous mofongo lunch at Raices, and piña coladas at Barrachina (where they were invented), before returing to the ship.

My suggestion is to visit El Morro first, since it's furthest from the pier, while San Cristobal is quite close.

This web site has directions, and you should be able to find street maps on line (or you can get a nice one for free at the tourist info center not far from the docks):

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

Have a great trip!

If you are docking in Old San Juan, yes, it's all very walkable. (Uphill to the your first fort, but only a problem if you have mobility issues.) We were just there last month. OSJ is quite compact, and we had a very enjoyable day walking to El Morro (stopping at the Cathedral along the way), then to San Cristobal, then having a fabulous mofongo lunch at Raices, and piña coladas at Barrachina (where they were invented), before returing to the ship.

My suggestion is to visit El Morro first, since it's furthest from the pier, while San Cristobal is quite close.

This web site has directions, and you should be able to find street maps on line (or you can get a nice one for free at the tourist info center not far from the docks):

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful, and i also wanted to try the mofongo's while we are there!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful, and i also wanted to try the mofongo's while we are there!

You're welcome. Here's the steak mofongo we had at Raices. It was our very first mofongo ever; we didn't know what to expect, and this turned out to be one of the most delicious things we've ever eaten. Just fabulous.

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

You know, everybody (including myself) forgets to mention there are actually TWO ways into San Cristobal fort. When you go up towards the fort from the dock and reach the corner where the fort lies, if you keep walking straight up the hill (moderate walk, not easy with mobility issues) you will reach the original (main) entrance to the fort. But if you head right on that corner you'll reach another entrance with a much easier slope, which has a bunch of modifications made when the US military took control of the fort way back when. You'll also find a gift shop and a couple of options to get to the higher levels. There is an elevator and a long tunnel going up to the main plaza of the fort. It is in this tunnel that the jail cell with the old prisoner's writings is located. You can pay your entrance fee at either of the two gates.

You're welcome. Here's the steak mofongo we had at Raices. It was our very first mofongo ever; we didn't know what to expect, and this turned out to be one of the most delicious things we've ever eaten. Just fabulous.

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I can't wait to try it! Looks very interesting ! Was this restaurant on our way to the forts? We are in port from 7:00 am - 3:30 will we have enough time to go to both of the forts and have lunch and drinks, plus do some shopping? Thank you for that website I printed out the walking tour instructions. Can't wait to check out San Juan! 🌴🌴🌴

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tour is not necessary to see Old San Juan or the Bacardi Factory. There is a visitor booth just after you disembark that will give you maps of Old San Juan and directions of how to take the ferry and catch a taxi to the Bacardi plant at a fraction of the cost of a ship excursion.

• 1 month later...