Golden from San Francisco

meh56

We are sailing from San Francisco this summer and have read that the new terminal has long lines and no seating until after check in...The ship sails on a Friday and we were going to stay at the airport the night before but are concerned with traffic and long lines at the terminal...Can anyone tell me if we should consider staying in the city instead of the airport...Also any recommendation for a hotel in the area of the terminal

We are sailing from San Francisco this summer and have read that the new terminal has long lines and no seating until after check in...The ship sails on a Friday and we were going to stay at the airport the night before but are concerned with traffic and long lines at the terminal...Can anyone tell me if we should consider staying in the city instead of the airport...Also any recommendation for a hotel in the area of the terminal

If your flying , I would take an a hotel near Fisherman's wharf.

Most chain hotels are represented in the area . Summer price are outrageous in town during summer.

I would also recommend a hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. But I stayed at the Pacific hotel on Broadway. They have FREE parking. I may not have the exact correct name, but Pacific was part of the name anyways. You can walk to the pier if your hardy or a taxi would not cost much as it is less then 1 mile to the pier. We waited outside at the pier for 1/2 hour. Then they let us In. They have seating for about 1,000 in side. We got at the pier at 11:30 and were onboard by 12:30 . If you arrive after 1:30 you will most likely not encounter long lines. BTW the new pier 27 is beautiful.

I live in the SF bay area.

Thank you for the information...sounds like we should go into the city the night before, rather than stay at the airport. Princess has a package with an overnight at the Mark Hopkins but it seems pretty pricey but does include transfers. I will start to look at hotels, maybe in the wharf area. Thanks again.

Just back from a RT SF on the Star Princess. I would suggest staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area also. Many stayed at the Best Western Tuscan. Just be prepared for SF prices for hotels! We did priceline for 3 1/2 stars and got the 2620 Hotel just a block west and south of the Best Western. It is on the corner of Jones and Bay. Good walking location and near cablecars and streetcars. Price was the lowest I could get and also when I got there just asked if including breakfast possible and the check in person must have been in a good mood as she gave it to us. Very nice breakfast buffet and dining area looked like NY hotel dining areas!

If you are at Pier 27, things are just fine. We took a cab from our hotel and cost $20 and maybe 15 minutes. Got there around 11:30 a.m. and already many inside. No line at all. Took us all of 5 minutes to go through all stuff to get to check-in counter and no waiting for that either. We are not quite platinum yet, so we got right in but so many already there we got boarding card 4. Many seats in the area, but all were taken by the time we got there. So if you want to get there around 11 a.m. I am sure you will get a seat inside. Started boarding suites, elites, etc. around 12:20 p.m. Our boarding #4 started at around 1:10 pm

Any other questions, just ask. Porters were very friendly and helpful. I did kid with them and my porter responded in kind and was very helpful. We tipped but we always do. Just 2 bags-$10

Have a great cruise. SF is a great city so I suggest getting there a couple days ahead of time if you have never visited the city before.l

Pooh