Sunshine Dining Room Question

Cewyant81

Can someone tell me which dining room the Your Time Dining is in? We are sailing April 2nd on the Sunshine with 6 people. Last year my husband and I went on our very first cruise on the Victory. I got sick the first night in the AFT dining room. We ate on Lido the rest of the nights, but then asked if we could move to the middle dining room on the last night and they let us. I did not get sick. I think the AFT dining room being so low and close to the vibration of the propellers is what made me nauseous, who knows though.

We chose Your Time Dining because this time we are bringing our 3 kids and my mom. We booked later, so we are waitlisted for early dining. The only other other is late and with kids and kids mom being diabetic, I didn't think that would work.

Do you know if Your Time Dining is in the middle Dining room? If it's not what are the odds of trying to request early? Also, my husband is really hoping to not share a table. Do they have tables for 6 available in either dining room? Although I'll choose talking to strangers over puking!

It's been my experience that the ratio of anytime to fixed dining hours is about even lately. It used to swing toward anytime, but wait times could be very long. On our last cruise we were waitlisted for anytime and never got it. I would think if you have anytime now, and want to switch to fixed time, that would not be a problem, and would also open up an anytime slot for someone on the wait list.

We'll be on the Sunshine March 25th, first time on her. We have an aft balcony on deck 5, and since the anytime diners check in on deck 5 near the Ocean Plaza/Taste Bar, I'm wondering if the pager will pick up back in our cabin. So if only one of us goes to get on the list, we could then wait in our cabin for the page. Anybody know what the range on those pagers is?

It's been my experience that the ratio of anytime to fixed dining hours is about even lately. It used to swing toward anytime, but wait times could be very long. On our last cruise we were waitlisted for anytime and never got it. I would think if you have anytime now, and want to switch to fixed time, that would not be a problem, and would also open up an anytime slot for someone on the wait list.

We'll be on the Sunshine March 25th, first time on her. We have an aft balcony on deck 5, and since the anytime diners check in on deck 5 near the Ocean Plaza/Taste Bar, I'm wondering if the pager will pick up back in our cabin. So if only one of us goes to get on the list, we could then wait in our cabin for the page. Anybody know what the range on those pagers is?

We did see people walking around a ways off from the check in station. I would be surprised if atd is as many people assigned. That said, I dont know that for a fact.

Sent from my iPhone

I was told by the person giving out the pagers, that you could go as far forward as the coffee/shake shop, and aft to the elevators. In the beginning of the cruise you wil notice that most AT diners eat later, but by day 5, there is a line @ 6:00pm.

The wait really was not that long.

Do you know if Your Time Dining is in the middle Dining room? If it's not what are the odds of trying to request early? Also, my husband is really hoping to not share a table. Do they have tables for 6 available in either dining room? Although I'll choose talking to strangers over puking!

When we sailed the Sunshine in Jan 2016 they had some of both - YTD and Fixed in the center dining room. In the aft one floor was YTD and the other Fixed.

Don't know if they do that every cruise but on ours they did.

You can email the Matire'd a couple of weeks ahead of your cruise and tell him your dilemma - my guess is he will try to accommodate you:)

How do I email the Matire'd? Is there a place to find the email address?

Replace the two XXs in the partial email address with the ship's abbreviation from the list below and that will give you the email address for the maitre d'.

E-mail 3) XXmaitred@carnival.com

Carnival Ship Abbreviations

FA = Fantasy

FS = Fascination

EC = Ecstasy

SE = Sensation

IS = Inspiration

IM = Imagination

EL = Elation

PA = Paradise

SP = Spirit

PR = Pride

LE = Legend

MI= Miracle

DE = Destiny

TI = Triumph

VI = Victory

CQ = Conquest

GL = Glory

LI = Liberty

VA = Valor

FD = Freedom

SL = Splendor

DR = Dream

MC = Magic

BR = Breeze

SH = Sunshine

VS = Vista

We sailed on the Sunshine a couple of years ago and were so disappointed with the YTD (which was in the AFT on our sailing) set up that we generally ate on the Lido except on Elegant nights. We spent most evenings in the Alchemy Bar watching the line to get pagers, then those people sitting around waiting, then having to go down two decks to go to the dining room. We have always gotten YTD on our cruises and I've never waited on any night more than a few minutes (no matter size of party or time) so was surprised at the wait time we experienced and observed on the Sunshine.

The dining room itself felt cramped. At least the tables along the windows seemed as if they tried to get as many in as possible. However the tables in the middle of the dining room seemed to have their normal spacing and we did not feel like we were sitting in our neighbor's laps.

Hopefully they can help you out if you contact the ship prior to your sailing. If not, be prepared for the odd set up on the Sunshine and have a nice cocktail at the Alchemy Bar while waiting for a table. Depending upon the time, there may even be live music to listen to as they tended to have something going on there every evening. Taste Bar is there too, so you can grab a snack (which is also open for lunch and while lite fare, is very good!) if you are hungry.

I just do not see the big deal with the YTD set up on the Sunshine. We had a group of 9. While a couple of us waited in line, others got drinks, took pictures or waited for us in the Ocean Plaza. i would much rather wait in line there than outside the MDR door with nothing to do.

• 4 months later...

Is there an optimal time for going in order to have a fast dinner? This is my first time doing it. I assume going early is probably slowest due to possible wait time in order to get seated. We don't want to be THOSE PEOPLE who walk in at the last minute and cause issues for the staff either. It may depend on the day too, any information or experiences would be appreciated.

We had early dining at 6pm. There were 6 of us. 3 kids and 3 adults. Most nights we were done by 7:10-7:20. It depended on if the waiters were dancing. Last year we had late dining. There were only 4 adults and I felt it took longer. The dining room seemed busier at 8pm on the Victory. Our waiters on the Sunshine only had 2-3 other tables on early dining. We had an amazing time. Request Zeffrey, he is amazing.