Greece's Many Issues

JVNYC

I'm a big fan of Greece....always have been. I am thinking of returning but worried about all that is happening all over the country....the financial mess....the new government and all the hurdles it is facing...the angry people...

Do you think there is much of an impact on tourism?

The last time I was in Greece we visited one of the islands and I must say it was depressing. All the store fronts were open but the people just looked miserable....not mean....but not happy overall. Combining that with all the stray animals I asked myself if I wanted to return. But Greece draws you in so that is why I'm considering going back.

What do you think?

I agree...I also want to help the economy...and I adore the country, food, culture & people. Just more concerned if the timing may be off considering all that is happening.

We spent 10 days in Crete last year and had a fantastic time. One thing we did notice was that there were a number of apartment blocks and hotels that looked as they were open, but when we got closer they hadn't been completed.

Everybody was helpful and friendly and we would have no hesitation in returning to Greece very soon.

Other European countries are also still going through major economic problems, albeit not quite as serious as Greece, but nobody suggests not going there.

I don't really think you'll notice anything when you travel, we were there last summer, as you can see in my review in the link bellow, and had no problem whatsoever. We loved it.

Also, we did not think the people seemed specially unhappy. Usually in Europe the people who serve you at bars / restaurants / shops do not smile all the time as they do in the US. And people in northern European countries sometimes do not look as happy as in the Mediterranean region. Not that they are unhappy either, maybe they just don't show it.

That being said, the new government is really annoying all other European countries, and they seem to forget that their travellers are the main source of income through tourism for Greece. The Greeks may have their reasons to be annoyed and introduce changes but I doubt this confrontation strategy with everyone will get them far, specially when other countries that suffered the crisis are already recovering.

I am greek we will be happy to welcome you on our country..Dont worry about anything we are not very happy at the moment because of all this big financial mess but you dont have anything to worry about.The only people that are not so welcome in my country at this time is Germans because their government thinks that they own whole europe..And we are very very proud people you know..we cant stand being treated like that from the germans at this time..

Other than that you will see that all greeks are extremelly friendly with anyone..they are easygoing and almost everyone here can speak english so not a problem at all..enjoy its our honour to welcome you on a country that gave birth to democracy to human rights to arts to mathematics and so on...We greeks are totally easygoing people but if anyone tries to steal our home our country then you know we say "this is sparta"" lol.We have a very interesting culture for all of you to explore

We were there during the second election in 2012. The Greeks were very friendly and welcoming, and told us time and again that they were so glad that we hadn't been scared off by their internal issues. They love Americans, in fact it was one country where I didn't care if they saw my blue passport.

• 1 month later...

Checking in to see if anyone has recently returned from Greece and the Islands and if they noticed any issues while visiting. With the political & economical climate at an all time unrest, just wondering if tourists are noticing anything that would impact their visit.

Thanks!

My sister has just come back from a week in Skiathos. She said they had a fantastic holiday. Prices seem very reasonable as they want tourists to spend money. She also said everybody was very friendly and welcoming. I just don't understand why anybody has any hesitation in going

My sister has just come back from a week in Skiathos. She said they had a fantastic holiday. Prices seem very reasonable as they want tourists to spend money. She also said everybody was very friendly and welcoming. I just don't understand why anybody has any hesitation in going

Great, glad to hear this! I guess people are hesitant b/c the Greeks could strike at anytime and you could be stranded and things could explode. If pensions are not paid, the airport could close down and then you're stuck....or may not even be able to arrive. This is just a possibility and something to consider. But glad to hear she had a great time.

It is also articles like this that have me worried. This is a growing problem in the Greek Islands and a very sad one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3099736/Holidaymakers-misery-boat-people-Syria-Afghanistan-seeking-asylum-set-migrant-camp-turn-popular-Greek-island-Kos-disgusting-hellhole.html

Edited by JVNYC

We were just there (early May) and did have an issues …….. in Athens our guide took us to a restaurant not frequented by many tourists (we like to do that). We were treated like royalty ! Friendly fast service - AHHHmazing food - a carafe or two of raki and he even threw in a free desert plate. And the total bill for 5 people came to 50 euros :eek: DH even asked if that total was correct :D

In Santorini and Mykonos we were also welcomed and treated like they really wanted us there………

Go - have fun and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Just go, you will love it there! have been to many ports in Greece and always had a fantastic time! Last time i visited Katakolon/Olympia (had a shore excursion with VISITKATAKOLON there, people were just fantastic!), Piraeus/Athens (stayed overnight in Athos hotel, was great). Greece is always on the top of my list.

I guessed that.

Just checked, we have 5 Greek ports. Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Athens and Chania in Crete.

Loved loved loved Crete ! Do yourself a favor tho…..get outta town ! We did a private tour with Lefty (both visits to Chania) and both times we had a fantastic day !!!! Loved getting out into the countryside - it is so beautiful. The people are super nice and loved having lunch in a tiny village with fresh fresh food etc.

I would love to go spend a week or so here at some point !

Except for Rhodes (been once) we have done the others multiple times.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just jumping into your thread. Just heard on the news that tourists are stranded in Greece. ATMs are empty, no credit cards are being accepted. I don't know on what islands this is true, but really very sad. I was in several Green cities in October and the people were friendly, the country is beautiful, and so sad to see this befall the people.

Sorry, just jumping into your thread. Just heard on the news that tourists are stranded in Greece. ATMs are empty, no credit cards are being accepted. I don't know on what islands this is true, but really very sad. I was in several Greek cities in October and the people were friendly, the country is beautiful, and so sad to see this befall the people.