Seeking help on some logistics issues

GottaKnowWhen

Thanks to the regulars and others who have made this portion of CC a truly wonderful resource!

That said, I do have a few questions unanswered despite fairly conscientious reading of this board for the last year.

1. Anchorage to Seward via Costal Classic train, Friday a.m. Departure time is 6:45am. I have seen here that one hour prior is needed. So, at the depot by 5:45am. a. Really? b. Do cabs run that early in the day?

2. Anchorage to Homer via rental car. I need to be in Homer no later than 3:00pm Saturday afternoon (Labor Day Weekend) to check in for my Sunday excursion. What time do I need to start driving from Anchorage to give myself a comfortable drive and the option of stopping a few times for photos? The Google maps etc. say 5 hours...

3. Departure from ANC to lower 48 @ 5:40am, a weekday. I need to turn the rental car in the previous evening since they are only open 6:00am - 2:30am. So, a cab or shuttle to the airport. How early must I be there? (I have TSA Precheck for what it may be worth.) Cabs running at that time of day? Or do I need to overnight in the airport?

Thank you!

Stan

Thanks to the regulars and others who have made this portion of CC a truly wonderful resource!

That said, I do have a few questions unanswered despite fairly conscientious reading of this board for the last year.

1. Anchorage to Seward via Costal Classic train, Friday a.m. Departure time is 6:45am. I have seen here that one hour prior is needed. So, at the depot by 5:45am. a. Really? b. Do cabs run that early in the day?

You really do need to be there an hour early. It takes some time to check in, and get your seat assignment. Before you ask, all seats are assigned. Cabs run all the time in Anchorage, and if you are at a hotel there will likely be more than one outsid all night long. People are out and about until the wee hours and start over again very early, probably because it is light so long.

2. Anchorage to Homer via rental car. I need to be in Homer no later than 3:00pm Saturday afternoon (Labor Day Weekend) to check in for my Sunday excursion. What time do I need to start driving from Anchorage to give myself a comfortable drive and the option of stopping a few times for photos? The Google maps etc. say 5 hours...

We made it from the Anchorage airport to Homer ind 4.5 hours today in the pouring rain. The only stop was for gas. It was too messy to fool with photos. If you plan on allowing time for photos give yourself at least 6 hours.

3. Departure from ANC to lower 48 @ 5:40am, a weekday. I need to turn the rental car in the previous evening since they are only open 6:00am - 2:30am. So, a cab or shuttle to the airport. How early must I be there? (I have TSA Precheck for what it may be worth.) Cabs running at that time of day? Or do I need to overnight in the airport?

You need to be there at least 90 minutes ahead of time, even with precheck. Cabs are not a problem, I would turn the car in early the prior evening and grab a cab in the morning.

Thank you!

Stan

Comments added above

We are also on the Coastal Classic 6:45 am departure. Our hotel shuttle runs 24/7

and will once again ask for reservation for a 5:30 or earlier shuttle to the train

station.

On a previous Alaska trip, we dropped our car off at ANC the night before, after

our DYI land trip prior to the cruise. Hotel shuttle to the hotel, then shuttle

in the morning to the train station. Most of the hotels in the area offer these shuttle

services, and as mentioned, taxis are on option also.

Edited by island lady

Thanks for the info Island Lady, zqvol, and AKStafford.

My "basecamp" as we move in and out of Anchorage pre and post cruise will be in a small B&B Guesthouse. So, shuttle option will probably not be available to us. I thought maybe taxi service would be available and responsive, but since we are pushing into end-of-season I wasn't totally comfortable with that assumption. So thanks for relieving any anxiety on that score! And for the info on travel to Homer and from ANC.

Stan

Thanks for the info Island Lady, zqvol, and AKStafford.

My "basecamp" as we move in and out of Anchorage pre and post cruise will be in a small B&B Guesthouse. So, shuttle option will probably not be available to us. I thought maybe taxi service would be available and responsive, but since we are pushing into end-of-season I wasn't totally comfortable with that assumption. So thanks for relieving any anxiety on that score! And for the info on travel to Homer and from ANC.

Stan

You may want to email or call (local AT&T call to and from lower 48) the B&B and ask

them if they have complimentary transportation, or what they might recommend.

under normal circumstances it's a 5 hr drive to Homer, but the Sat morning of Labor Day weekend is cause for concern. Keep in mind that Seward and Sterling Hwys are only 2 lanes, so when there's an accident, there is no alternative route.

If the 3pm deadline is set in stone and you'll be heartbroken to miss that excursion ( or out a bunch of money), I'd leave Anc by 8am .... there are worse places than Homer to kill a couple of hours if you arrive early! You'll be able to have a leisurely lunch somewhere in town and enjoy the view.

p.s. if you're making good time when you arrive in Soldotna, look for the Moose is Loose Bakery.

GottaKnowWhen: We've driven from Homer to Anchorage in about five hours but that was with minimal stops and light road construction. Given that you will be driving to Anchorage on a holiday weekend (while a number of folks will be heading from Anchorage to the peninsula on Friday night I would still expect a number of campers and RVs on the road) and the fact that the road construction contractors may be working over-time to finish those projects I also agrees with AKStafford and also suggest at least six hours.

Also, I recognize your CC name -- looking at your cruise history we were on the Infinity Antarctic cruise together! That particular cruise was the first leg of a B2B2B. We had so much fun in South America that we are returning next March for another B2B2B series on the Infinity.

under normal circumstances it's a 5 hr drive to Homer, but the Sat morning of Labor Day weekend is cause for concern. Keep in mind that Seward and Sterling Hwys are only 2 lanes, so when there's an accident, there is no alternative route.

If the 3pm deadline is set in stone and you'll be heartbroken to miss that excursion ( or out a bunch of money), I'd leave Anc by 8am .... there are worse places than Homer to kill a couple of hours if you arrive early! You'll be able to have a leisurely lunch somewhere in town and enjoy the view.

p.s. if you're making good time when you arrive in Soldotna, look for the Moose is Loose Bakery.

Thanks for the tips! I've reconfirmed with the excursion people and my schedule is not as tight as I had thought. But I'll still be aiming for Homer by mid-afternoon, so out of Anchorage by 8:00 or 8:30am. Reading the news about the ongoing wildfire causing a slowdown on the highway is a reminder that stuff happens.

And shadowmeboy, thanks for the link to your review including the train to Seward. Your photos help me to anticipate and plan. Eighteen days and counting...