AMAPrima Danube Review - Cruise and Port Cities

Valley Girl of VA

Sorry this post has taken a little longer than I had hoped. Life just got in the way. Anyway, here is what hubby and I did in Bratislava and what happens when you don't drink enough fluids.

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/bratislava-slovakia-have-you-ever-heard-of-it/

Jane

Jane, I am enjoying your posts and thanks so much for sharing as this is extremely helpful information for me as my 1st river cruise is scheduled in November.

Were there any tours affiliated with AMA you reserved in advance or is this even an option? Was there plenty of space to choose any tour you would prefer?

Thanks for your help!

Aly 7859, there was plenty of room on ship's excursions EXCEPT for the Slovakian Sweets as I mentioned in the blog. People made a reservation but didn't show up which prevented others from going which was too bad. I would not recommend the Apricots optional excursion in Durnstein- a waste of time.

When is your cruise?

Our arrival into Budapest, touring the city and the Buda Castle and the Illumination Cruise. Plenty of pictures and information if you are going to take this cruise:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/budapest-the-pearl-of-the-danube/

If you are enjoying my blog, please consider leaving a comment or signing up to become a follower.

Jane

Aly 7859, there was plenty of room on ship's excursions EXCEPT for the Slovakian Sweets as I mentioned in the blog. People made a reservation but didn't show up which prevented others from going which was too bad. I would not recommend the Apricots optional excursion in Durnstein- a waste of time.

When is your cruise?

Jane, we leave on Nov 18th and we were interested in the Slovakian Sweets tour (maybe) so I was just wondering if we should just wait until we get on the cruise to book or did you book in advance? We are travelling with my 2 adult children and my son-in law so we have varied tastes so I thought it might be better to book on board. Thanks for the info on the Apricots which we will avoid.

Edited by aly7859

Aly7859 - We booked in advance for all the optional tours that we wanted. I would suggest you do that and if you do not want it, you can always cancel onboard. Just remember to cancel in the event that you do not want to go so someone on the waiting list can take your spot.

Jane

This is the morning that our cruise was over. We were on own our in Budapest as we had booked an additional night . This is what we did the day we disembarked. https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/budapest-and-the-central-market/

I can either end posting my blog posts about this trip since the river cruise is over or I can continue with our train trips throughout Italy and our trip home including trying to get EU flight delay compensation due to a 7 hour delay. What should I do? I do not mind at all if you tell me to stop posting since it isn't applicable to the river cruising board.

Either way, it's been fun sharing and getting to know some of you.

Jane

This post should really be title The Zoo, The Train and Other Things in Budapest"

With our free day, we went to the zoo. In the afternoon we had a misadventure when we went to the train station to meet our train to Vienna where we would connect on an overnight train to Venice.

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/04/the-budapest-zoo-and-train-travel/

Jane

Hi, Jane,

Thank you for your blog. I love your writing. I am so sorry that Budapest and the train to Venice was such a Zoo! :eek:

I, too, love the train because, also as a little girl (when we wore our wool suit, hat, gloves, and patent leather Mary Janes & purse) we rode the Super Chief (with beds) from L.A. > Albuquerque and then bus to Aztec, New Mexico to visit my Mum's parents.

That was really a tiny room. I wonder if the First Class would be a better option. :confused: I would rather fly. BTW, how long was the train ride?

I know you will love Venice. I have been there 3 times but I would love to go back durning Carnival, rent the costumes, and attend the parties. ;)

Hi Di Princess - I too rode the Super Chief out to Cali. What I remember is that we were in the last car and sometime during the night in Arizona, our car was unhitched. An engine came by and took our car to the rim of the Grand Canyon where we spent the day. At night we went back to our car, back down to the main track and then caught the next train to LA. We came home on the Zephyr through Colorado. Fond memories

As far as the European train, it was a learning experience and it will not stop me from trying it again. I just need to pack lighter and that will help :)

Our arrival in Venice and learning about the vaporettos (water buses) and the B&B that Blogger Hubby chose. Hope you enjoy this intro to our Venice stay:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/arriving-in-venice-riding-the-vaporettos-and-our-bb/

Jane

Oh, Jane. So sorry about your dinner. OMG, how can you have a bad meal in Italy? :confused:

You should have sent it back, refused to pay, and left the terrible restaurant, as well as telling your B&B Host how horrible the food is and that she should never, ever, recommend these "Friend's restaurants" again! :eek:

Jane really enjoying your blog and pictures. agree your description of the meal in Venice sounded disgusting. sometimes locals recommendations work well not so in this case.

it is difficult in a new place to find good food places even with research because sometimes standards are not maintained. if possible we seek out places where locals rather than tourists eat but not always possible.

well done with your blog feel sure it will also assist others. the weather was very hot too so that would have impacted on the experience.

Oh, Jane. So sorry about your dinner. OMG, how can you have a bad meal in Italy? :confused:

You should have sent it back, refused to pay, and left the terrible restaurant, as well as telling your B&B Host how horrible the food is and that she should never, ever, recommend these "Friend's restaurants" again! :eek:

I agree... A bad meal in Italy???? We thought the same thing, but the worst Margherita Pizza we have ever eaten was in a lovely little courtyard restaurant in Pisa, Italy. Instead of Mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes, they used a nasty cheesish sauce over tomato sauce. We were so disappointed.

Jane, we are so enjoying your travel stories. Thanks for sharing!!

Sightseeing in Venice for us first timers to this city.

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/venice-st-marks-square-and-sightseeing/

Please feel free to leave a comment here or on the blog post if you are so inclined.

Thank you for reading my blog and your support.

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

After our cruise, we explored northern Italy. Following our visit to Venice, we took the train to Milan but stopped in Verona to explore there. In Verona we found some surprises. We had a wonderful time and would encourage others to explore this city:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/verona-italy-juliets-balcony-and-aida/

Thanks for reading my blog. If you are enjoying it I would encourage you to become a follower

Jane

Still traveling after our Danube River Cruise. Milan, Italy - how we turned lemons into lemonade:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/milan-italy-how-to-turn-lemons-into-lemonade/

Jane

Edited by Valley Girl of VA

• 2 weeks later...

Coming home from Europe we experienced a long flight delay. Did you know that the EU carriers have a rule that sets out compensation for you whether it is flying into Europe from the US on an EU carrier, flying within Europe or flying home from an EU country. My latest post explains Rule 261, what we did and the final result. Everyone should be aware of Rule 261 and keep it in your memory bank. This also applies to an award ticket and we were on an award ticket:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/eu-rule-261-important-if-you-fly-into-or-out-of-europe/

Jane

• 2 months later...