low sodium/salad dressings?

Bklynbill

Hello, my wife is on a low sodium diet and we were wondering if the MDR menus list low sodium options? Also, we were particularly wondering if anyone knows about low sodium salad dressings (especially in the buffet options). We were considering bringing our own home made dressing, but probably couldn't get that through Canadian customs. We do know to consult with the waiter and MD, however if anyone has any knowledge beyond that it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We had a gentleman at our table a few cruises ago with low sodium diet needs. He always used oil and vinegar or oil and lemon on his salads. He also brought a couple of salt replacement products for adding to his menu choices.

They had a wide variety of dressings in the Oceanview buffet so I expect that they would have them in the main dining room as well. Ask for the dressing separately as opposed to letting them dress it in the kitchen.

We found much of the food, while good, often lacked seasoning and I think that is to ensure that most people can eat what is being served. If you need more salt, pepper or other seasoning, then you add it yourself to your taste.

As an alternative, for dressing, just use olive oil, vinegar and lemon? I learned this in Italy and that has become my standard. :)

Edited by pete_coach

Hello, my wife is on a low sodium diet and we were wondering if the MDR menus list low sodium options? Also, we were particularly wondering if anyone knows about low sodium salad dressings (especially in the buffet options). We were considering bringing our own home made dressing, but probably couldn't get that through Canadian customs. We do know to consult with the waiter and MD, however if anyone has any knowledge beyond that it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

With advance notice, we are able to accommodate a low sodium diet. To submit your request, please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225.

Guests are not allowed to bring on board any food items other than dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

Use vinegar /oil or lemon in buffet...the creamier dressings are pre prepared and in bottles on the salad bar...also look for low sodium soy and terriyaki sauces which i think they stock. Stick to vinegar oil lemon in Specialty Rest..

Good idea to request low sodium diet ahead of time...drink bottled water versus ship's water...some say it makes them swell

we love BLU the AQ dining rm as well as AQUASPA CAFE.. healthy choices available to all

Edited by hcat

Hi Bklynbill! We are on the same cruise and hope that you will be joining us for the Sail Away party on deck 12 (weather permitting). Also don't forget to register for the Cruise Critic Connections party. We have an active roll call if you haven't checked in there. :D So excited this cruise is finally here.

Thank you Jane2357! You are actually the first cruise critic member to invite us to a sail away. Hope to see you all there. It would be great if the weather was nice the whole cruise (if only we could be that lucky!).