Does RCI Management read the reviews?

tractortom

We're headed out on Liberty in about 32 days from now (not that I'm really counting, or have marked up my desk calendar..) and have been reading the Cruisers Reviews. Now I understand that everybody is different, I tend to be kind of laid-back and don't ask for too much, but not everyone is. From the last two or three reviews posted, it sounds like it's impossible to get on/off the ship, can't get broken things fixed, food has gone to the dogs, and the nice folks that run the company are staying up late at night planning another way to take your money from you.

Vacations are important to me, I don't get many, and I really love to take a cruise, even a short one. And, I'm really looking forward to a short week away, looking off the back of the cruise ship from my balcony.

So, does anyone figure the RCI management are reading these reviews and paying attention, and trying to do better? Or are the folks that write these reviews just looking to vent because they generally have a bad time with life and want everyone to feel the same way?

I guess there is the old business adage that says "if you do something good I'll tell my friends, but if you do something wrong I'll tell EVERYONE".

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

To my knowledge RCI does not routinely read the reviews here. And if they did I'm not sure that they would acknowledge that they did.

One thing to keep in mind is that a greater number of people with bad experiences write reviews than people with good experiences. You should also take a more overall approach to the review and decide if what was negative to them is also negative to you.

I do know for sure that RCI management reads the end of cruise surveys that they want everyone to fill out. So if there was something that you absolutely wanted them to know about that would be a better place for it than here (or writing directly to them or maybe even going on their Facebook page).

Tahqa,

I see that you have been on Liberty a year ago, and are scheduled to be on it again a week or so after we get off. Obviously, if it is as bad as some reviewers want me to believe, you would not be giving it another go???

Tractor Tom

And they most likely also have analytics software in the mix that looks for trends, patterns, etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they also had their own version of an "ignore the idiots" algorythm in place to weed out the systemic spleen venter posts.;)

However, corporate decisions are rarely made on the basis of who's screaming, or what they're screaming about unless the correlation between the level of lament and the associated revenue trend rises to their risk/reward inflection point.

To my knowledge RCI does not routinely read the reviews here. And if they did I'm not sure that they would acknowledge that they did.

One thing to keep in mind is that a greater number of people with bad experiences write reviews than people with good experiences. You should also take a more overall approach to the review and decide if what was negative to them is also negative to you.

I do know for sure that RCI management reads the end of cruise surveys that they want everyone to fill out. So if there was something that you absolutely wanted them to know about that would be a better place for it than here (or writing directly to them or maybe even going on their Facebook page).

RCI monitors posts on CC via a third party, and has admitted same.

On a recent cruise (different cruise line), we were at a Meet-and-Mingle event.

The Cruise Director was talking and he asked whether everything was to our liking. And perhaps half-joking (but maybe half-serious too), he mentioned that the captain and crew would rather hear about anything that we did not like now (so they could take care of it), rather than reading about it on Cruise Critic in a few days.

It at least got a bunch of laughs.

..... So, does anyone figure the RCI management are reading these reviews and paying attention ......

It would be incredibly stupid if they did not.

So, with that being said, I do not think they read the reviews.:rolleyes:

Tahqa,

I see that you have been on Liberty a year ago, and are scheduled to be on it again a week or so after we get off. Obviously, if it is as bad as some reviewers want me to believe, you would not be giving it another go???

Tractor Tom

I always take the reviews with a grain of salt. I just looked at the three latest reviews and one said that the Windjammer was wonderful and the MDR sucked, while another said MDR sucked and the Windjammer was wonderful. Also, one of them was complaining about the events after an emergency evacuation, and that is really not something that the ship has much control over. As for the 'nickel and diming'... well, it's annoying at times but I've learned how to minimize the impact of those.

Now, there are certainly issues with sailing on Liberty, for sure. I, for one, despise terminal 25 which Liberty normally sails out of. Embarking sucks there and debarking sucks there.

But, you're right. If Liberty was that bad I would not be sailing on her again. For example... my worst RCI cruise ever was on Grandeur. It would take a lot for me to go on that ship again.

Typically I have a very 'go with the flow' attitude and don't let the little things bother me. If a meal in the MDR is not to my liking I'll order something else. If the pool deck is more crowded than I care for I'll go somewhere else. There's almost always an option on a ship the size of the Liberty. :)

Here's a new review of the Liberty -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751284#post36344754

"Enjoyed the ship and itinerary and would do it again in a heartbeat. As always, there were areas where RCI excelled and areas that called for improvement."

See? There are good reviews for the ship. :)

PS -- if you aggregate the reviews since the trans-Atlantic the ship still gets about a 4 star average, even with the two recent negative reviews. That's 2 negative and 12 positive reviews. :)

As others have previously posted the reviews on CC are not read directly by RCI management.

Also it needs to be noted the only a small percentage of the Cruising Public actually post on CC and all the cruise lines know that . So even if RCI management did read the reviews on CC that fact that CC represents only a small portion of the cruising public would be factored in to how it' management interprets the review.

If you have any issues regarding a specific cruise the time to state that information is to leave it in writing along with the survey card left in your stateroom at the end of the cruise. I've been toll that RCI does read the information written on the survey cards. If that's not enough than you should send a letter directly to RCI rather than posting it on CC in hopes of it getting read.

We tend to take these reviews with a grain of salt and I would hope RCL does too, if they do read what is on CC. We had a great time on the Liberty and would not hesitate another cruise on her when the timimg is right. As of now, we like longer cruises and for us a 5 day is far too short mostly because of travel costs. No cruise is ever completely flawless and if one chooses, they can always find something to complain about. The worst ting I experienced on our Liberty cruise was debarkation but that was a US Customs issue, not the ship itself. The negatives only get as big as you allow. I hope you have a great cruise.:)

Larry

Just got back from a Liberty cruise. Getting to the terminal was terrible, but once we dropped off our bags it went smoothly. Debarkation was a nightmare...one I hope never to experience again. That being said...the cruise was fine. The food was good everywhere we ate and if it hadn't been we would have gone someplace else to eat. Crew was friendly and helpful. Would I go on Liberty again..yes. Would I hope that it was at a different terminal...YES!!!

Have a great cruise and enjoy yourself.

I have had many of the same concerns you have when reading about the Independence of the seas that we are soon to sail on...then again I also had the same concerns about the liberty after reading the reviews before we sailed and we absolutely loved it.

To put your mind at ease, we sailed her about 10 months ago and really enjoyed ourselves. Sure there were things we could complain about and I will tell you that the disembarkation took a very long time, but not so long that it ruined the previous five nights of fun we had.

I'd go in with the foreknowledge that getting on and off the ship and embarkation and disembarkation may set you back an extra hour, so try not to be disappointed. However, we had a great experience with the staff on board and really enjoyed the entertainment. You will have a great time, just understand that patience is a virtue. You will have a great time as long as you don't have the bar set at an unrealistic expectation.

Enjoy your cruise! With a small amount of patience I am certain you will!

im sure they have more direct ways to gauge the pulse of the fanbase than a public message board.

-Roger

Yes, the evaluation forms you fill out at the end of a cruise. A more direct method of voicing your opinions regarding your cruise, and one taken more seriously by RCI management.

At the beginning, I don't think the cruise lines paid much attention to the review websites.

However, in recent years, they have become big business and every consumer-oriented company now has a full social media department, or an outsourced public relations firm that does the work for them.

Websites like cruise critic, trip advisor, flyer talk, etc. have evolved into huge multinational businesses (most of which are coincidentally owned by the same company) that cannot be ignored by the cruiselines, airlines, hotels, etc.

Unfortunately, I believe that the antiquated system RCCL uses for its comment cards is an insult to modern society. Those surveys should be conducted over the Internet, on the TV terminals in staterooms, via smartphones, etc.

Using a system of filling in the dots reminiscent of standardized school tests for those of us who grew up in the 1970's and early 1980's is an insult to our modern intelligence. All that's missing is that old number 2 pencil!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Recently I sent an email to Mr Goldstein. Whoever reads his unsolicited emails phoned me about the issue. Over the phone they admitted they have people who reads and tracks possible trends that that may need addressing as an result of these boards.

The worst ting I experienced on our Liberty cruise was debarkation but that was a US Customs issue, not the ship itself. The negatives only get as big as you allow. I hope you have a great cruise.:)Larry

We had good cruises 2TA and a B2Bs this year--went twice this year on Liberty. Disembarking in Florida was not good in Nov. This was after a 5 day B2B following the TA but they had a drug issue I heard on board, in a cabin. There were Police and a dog walking around our line up on the pier. So, perhaps that was why?

I did send an email following after we were home for them to know it did not go well. They called too many tag numbers all at once after waiting for some time. Seems they were taking note of the problem we had. Embarking was fine in April for the TA to Barcelona. Easy to/from Barcelona. Just disembarking in Nov. was the problem.

Food/service was fine for us but we are not fussy. The ship is the cleanest and best maintained we have seen. Spotless, with not a spot that seemed to need paint. The crew was super friendly as well. Have a great cruise!!:)

Do not worry! I wasnearly afraid before my first cruise with RC in summer, because the reviews about the Vision were pretty bad. Same with the Mariner for our cruise in autum. I really had the feeling I made a terrible mistake by choosing RC. But it turned out, that I liked it a lot and that the ships were in much better condition than described and the food was fine.

I have the impression that the unhappy folks (you find everywhere) tend to write more reviews. Also, check what the negativ comments are based upon.

At the beginning, I don't think the cruise lines paid much attention to the review websites.

However, in recent years, they have become big business and every consumer-oriented company now has a full social media department, or an outsourced public relations firm that does the work for them.

Websites like cruise critic, trip advisor, flyer talk, etc. have evolved into huge multinational businesses (most of which are coincidentally owned by the same company) that cannot be ignored by the cruiselines, airlines, hotels, etc.

Unfortunately, I believe that the antiquated system RCCL uses for its comment cards is an insult to modern society. Those surveys should be conducted over the Internet, on the TV terminals in staterooms, via smartphones, etc.

Using a system of filling in the dots reminiscent of standardized school tests for those of us who grew up in the 1970's and early 1980's is an insult to our modern intelligence. All that's missing is that old number 2 pencil!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Not only that, but there is no room for those who want, and are willing, to take the time to write constructive comments both positive and negative as well as suggestions for possible improvements.

I have the impression that the unhappy folks (you find everywhere) tend to write more reviews. Also, check what the negativ comments are based upon.

always have to consider the source. if there is one thing ive noticed with all kinds of message boards its people just love getting their opinion out to the world. they will harp on the one thing that bothered them and most of the time will blow it out of proportion. it can be hard to determine what can be a valid concern or what was the result of someone being nit picky and just loving to hear their own voice.

-Roger

We're headed out on Liberty in about 32 days from now (not that I'm really counting, or have marked up my desk calendar..) and have been reading the Cruisers Reviews. Now I understand that everybody is different, I tend to be kind of laid-back and don't ask for too much, but not everyone is. From the last two or three reviews posted, it sounds like it's impossible to get on/off the ship, can't get broken things fixed, food has gone to the dogs, and the nice folks that run the company are staying up late at night planning another way to take your money from you.

Vacations are important to me, I don't get many, and I really love to take a cruise, even a short one. And, I'm really looking forward to a short week away, looking off the back of the cruise ship from my balcony.

So, does anyone figure the RCI management are reading these reviews and paying attention, and trying to do better? Or are the folks that write these reviews just looking to vent because they generally have a bad time with life and want everyone to feel the same way?

I guess there is the old business adage that says "if you do something good I'll tell my friends, but if you do something wrong I'll tell EVERYONE".

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

No one from Royal directly reviews anything on this site. They have a third party that manages all of their social media platforms that also reviews all cruise boards.

If you want someone directly from Royal to read your complaints/compliments about a sailing fill out a comment card. I can personally attest there is a whole team of people whose sole job is to read, transcribe and refer to the appropriate management every single comment card.

Archived