Eurostar, arriving in London, to Southampton-how?

Hello, to fellow helpful cruisers. Haven't found too many tips/transfer from Eurostar terminal. We will be cruising next year 7 Jul, Royal Caribbean's Independence of Sea via Southampton.

Arrive via CDG - Paris 2 July, 4 nights in Paris

Leave Paris via Eurostar to London 6 July (day before Departure @ port)

Questions:

Would you stay in London one night? Or Southampton? Prefer to stay one night in London, proper Afternoon Tea, Fish & Chip's for DH.

What logistics would you do? Would you stay near Eurostar terminal in London?

Been to London a couple times in the last 4 years. DH & I will have one ea Checkin Bag & a roller carryon.

After cruise, 15 Jul need a transport to Heathrow. We have time to stop by Bath & Windsor return flight to US is next day early am (0900). We have done Stonhedge 2 years ago with International Friends Tour. Planning just to stay @ Heathrow area Hotels for one night.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

But you would need to provide further information in regards to your arrival time in London on 6th July and latest embarkation time on the 7th for this question to be answered

Edited by gary222

Questions:

Would you stay in London one night? Or Southampton? Prefer to stay one night in London, proper Afternoon Tea, Fish & Chip's for DH.

What logistics would you do? Would you stay near Eurostar terminal in London?

Stay in London. Personally, I'd go somewhere near Waterloo, for ease of getting the train the next morning. And Masters Superfish is near Waterloo.

Oh, sorry! Planning to get in London (via Eurostar) approx 1200-1300 (12:00-1:00 pm) on 6 July, Thursday Our embarkation will be approx 1500 (3:00 pm NLT) on day later on 7 July, Friday.

Please advise hotel location conducive to taking train or bus to Southampton.

Thanks in advance !

Eurostar arrives St Pancras station, trains to Southampton leave from Waterloo station or buses from Victoria coach station.

So you'll have to cross central London at some point.

I agree with Globaliser, a hotel near Waterloo station.

That makes your train transfer next morning super-easy, and a hotel there is a good compromise between cost & location. St Pancras isn't so convenient for the sights, although the Tube (London's Metro) makes any travel around central London quick & easy.

Consider hotels like Premier Inn County Hall or Waterloo, or Marriott County Hall, or Park Plaza County Hall or Westminster Bridge - all are just a few minutes walk from Waterloo station, London Eye and river boats, and across the bridge from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, etc.. Main ho-ho route. and pleasant South Bank riverside walk too with plenty of eateries & watering holes.

If you want to transfer from St Pancras to a Waterloo area hotel by tube, consider a short walk from St Pancras to Euston station, then a direct tube line to Waterloo. Alternatively you can take a tube from St Pancras but it will involve a change, which might be troublesome with luggage. In fact, although the tube won't be packed with commuter at that time-of-day, as you probably know it's no fun with luggage so you might prefer to splash out on a 20 minute taxi ride from St Pancras to your hotel.

Trains from Waterloo to Southampton take about 90 minutes. There are about 3 trains per hour & the walk-up fare is about £40.

But for budget tickets, pre-book on

https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Tickets cost anywhere from £1 (not a typo ;)) to £15, a significant saving. Megatrain tickets are only available for a few of those trains per day, but there'll be 2 or 3 that fit your cruise registration. Megatrain tickets are available from about 6 weeks out, must be pre-purchased, and are only good for the train that you booked. If you miss that train, you can take any of the 2 / 3 trains-per-hour but you'll have to pay the walk-up fare. Check out the site using a random date (not a sunday) in the next 6 weeks.

From Southampton central station to Indy's usual berth at City cruise terminal is a simple and level 20 minute walk, or a £6-£7 taxi ride.

If you prefer to travel to Southampton by bus, choose a hotel in Victoria. Not quite so convenient for the sights, but a broader range of hotel types & generally cheaper.

Post-cruise you'll not have time for both Bath & Windsor in one day, unless you book a very expensive private transfer.

The International Friends cruise-bus transfers - very convenient & drops you at your Heathrow hotel - include one or the other, but both also include Stonehenge which is a bit of a waste of your time for you. If you choose a cruise-bus tour/transfer, book through the London Toolkit website where its a little cheaper.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

The cruise-bus options are in the right-hand panels. Lots of other great London logistics info on other pages.

Alternatively, for

Bath. Direct hourly train service from Southampton to Bath, stash your bags at the back-packers hotel by the station, onward to Heathrow by direct Nat Express bus (2 hours, about £25pp). Pre-booking of the bus very strongly advised, only a couple fit your time-scale.

Windsor. Southampton to Windsor is awkward by bus or train, and I don't know of anywhere in Windsor to stash your luggage. Best bet is Nat Express bus to Heathrow, then taxi from your Heathrow hotel to Windsor (about 8 miles).

We can expand on that info once you've chosen Bath or Windsor.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Hope this helps

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We used to transfer from Kings Cross St Pancras to Waterloo and it was very very easy.

Take the Victoria line to Kings Cross then just walk to the adjacent platform on the Northern line. That train will take you to Waterloo.

A friend who is very knowledgeable about the London Underground recommended this route for us as she knew we'd be travelling with luggage and it was pretty easy. From the main line station there's a lift down to the underground so you have only three steps to navigate on the whole route

Thanks for the complete & thorough tips & notes!:D I am only on my lunch break so don't have enough time to do some additional research. My DH thinks it is better to travel straight to Southampton on the day before when we leave Paris.

Our cruise departs 7 July @ Southampton (Royal C. Independence of the Sea)

Must arrive @ port NLT 3:00 pm (1500 hrs ).

Planning to leave Paris 6 July via Eurostar.

What do people think is less stress? Continuing our travels straight on or stay one night in London? Remember, I said I preferred to stay in London one night but Husband feels there would be things we could do in Southhampton. :confused: What hotels in Southampton would be preferred if ever?

What do people think is less stress? Continuing our travels straight on or stay one night in London?

Definitely staying in London would be less stressful. Transferring from St. Pancras to Waterloo is very doable but a bit of a fiddle. Staying in London means you just have to get to whatever hotel you choose and then can relax for the rest of the day. There should be no problem taking the train to Southampton the next morning.

Hoping to make your afternoon as well ;)

Southampton is hardly an "iconic" city like London or Vegas, but yes, there are things to keep you amused for a day. And Southampton hotels are a lot cheaper than those in the big bad city.

Lots of places just a short train ride away too - places like Winchester, Salisbury & Portsmouth - but your time is split into an afternoon / evening & the next morning so probably best to stick with Southampton's limited delights.

On this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2393378

a précis of the Southampton city centre hotels and, as CC threads tend to do, it has meandered into other things including "things to do in Southampton".

But you're having to pass through London anyway & it's a natural break in your journey. Most folk travel down from London on cruise morning - there's plenty of time & plenty of travel options. No stress.

So no great logistical need to choose Southampton over London.

There might be some good value hotels close to St.Pancras.- Premier Inn - although even though considered a budget chain you could be looking at £150 a night. You'd be in the Bloomsbury area which is pleasant enough - 15 minute walk to British Museum - 25 minutes to covent garden. Nice places to eat out in the evening. Then in morning get transport to Waterloo. Taxi - £16

Thanks for all the different tips, everyone!

:D. I haven't had any time to do additional research, plus leaving for Disneyland on Friday. They are having a 1/2 Marathon & just supporting some friends & family running it.

I have to check on hotels in Southampton vs Waterloo area (London). Prices etc...

We used to transfer from Kings Cross St Pancras to Waterloo and it was very very easy.

Take the Victoria line to Kings Cross then just walk to the adjacent platform on the Northern line. That train will take you to Waterloo.

I'm not sure about this. If you take the Northern Line from Kings Cross, it does not go to Waterloo.

Do you mean change to the Northern Line at Euston? You can get the Northern Line Charing Cross branch southbound from Euston to Waterloo. (But you have to be careful not to get the Northern Line Bank branch southbound, because that just goes back to Kings Cross and other points south, not including Waterloo.) What I can't confirm or refute, though (because I don't know) is whether the change at Euston from Victoria Line southbound to Northern Line Charing Cross branch southbound is a cross-platform change.

Going that route there are a small number of steps and a small tunnel between the platforms for the two different tube lines, not a problem normally but it might be more difficult with luggage.

That's true. It could be an issue depending on the OPs ability to lift luggage up and down steps.

That why a bus can sometimes be easier, especially if it's not a busy time of day

What I can't confirm or refute, though (because I don't know) is whether the change at Euston from Victoria Line southbound to Northern Line Charing Cross branch southbound is a cross-platform change.

Pretty sure the x-platform change is Victoria line to Northern (Bank Branch) at Euston, so no use.

The only other possibility I could think of with an easy change was Victoria line from Kings X to Oxford Circus and x-platform change to the Bakerloo for Waterloo.

But, yes, suggest OP take a taxi :)

Hi, everyone! Thanks for the tips! :DYes, even though I know we can take transfers after Eurostar (Paris to London) to Waterloo (for train to Southampton). My DH & I decided for ease to take a taxi. Did someone mentioned (another question) that it was approx 20£ and 20-30mins travel time to Waterloo (midday approx 1300 on a Thursday).

The question that remains is where to stay London or Southampton the night before our cruise. Still researching....:p

Did someone mentioned (another question) that it was approx 20£ and 20-30mins travel time to Waterloo (midday approx 1300 on a Thursday).

About 20 minutes.

Gary's answer in this thread about £16. I don't know, but that sounds about right.

OP: we had a similar itinerary last fall: flew into Paris from the U.S.. spent five nights there, and then took the Eurostar to London the day before we were boarding Anthem of the Seas in Southampton for a TA back to the U.S.

Yes, London is FAR more interesting than Southampton, but we'd never been to the latter, we wouldn't have had much time in London, and we prefer to be as close to the ship as we can the morning of sailing, rather than having to travel from another city. That's just our way of reducing our own stress. YMMV.

So we went directly from St. Pancras to Southampton (we "splashed out" as John Bull would say, with a private transfer using the fabulous Smith's for Airports. No schlepping of luggage around train stations.). That gave us the afternoon in Southampton (to wander around the old city), and time for a very fun pre-cruise dinner at the Duke of Wellington with a bunch of folks from our Roll Call.

As for where to stay in Southampton if you decide to do that, there are a number of threads on this very subject, including some recent discussions. I would NOT recommend the Mercure Dolphin where we stayed (it has crossed the line from historic to shabby). Places that folks seemed to like included the Grand Harbour and the Holiday Inn (the one near the cruise terminal).

Enjoy whatever you decide!

(BTW, presumably you've done your research on the Eurostar and know that it's cheapest to book as soon as you're allowed to, so keep monitoring the Eurostar site. Also, the Man in Seat 61's web site is a must-consult for where to book your seats on the train and anything else you might want to know. We loved the Eurostar. The fact that you can travel by train between London and Paris in about 2.5 hours is amazing.)

Edited by Turtles06

Hey! It's Turtle time! Yes, I have read most of your threads (10 pages of q&a from last yr).:D Found out about "seat61" from when we did our land trip 2013. So happy for cruise critic & tripadvisor and the lovely people who take time to share tips/info! It has made my traveling planning so thorough & complete!:D

Because of seat 61 we picked all forward facing seats with a table/window near the exit @ Paris:p & most importantly how to find the original Chanel store on Rue Cambon @ Paris & where exactly to file my VAT forms @ CDG to get my refunds! This time we are going the opposite way or the way you went last fall ;)

So now asking the fabulous & helpful people on this thread for suggestions. I am just torned where to spend the night before our cruise (London or Southampton)

I know, now wished I have 5 days @ Paris, Eurostar has a promotion 2for1 specific museums .

Do you remember what did you did @ Southampton? If we go straight through we would get there approx 4:00 pm (1600hrs).

We really just walked around the old city and along the wall. Probably should have gone into the Tudor House. We had lunch at the Pig in the Wall and found it a little disappointing food wise (sorry, John Bull).

What I really did love (besides our fabulous dinner at the Duke of Wellington) was getting up very early the next morning and walking over to the cruise terminal where Anthem had already docked, and getting to see her for the first time, close up, and getting the photo below. We were on board the ship by about 11:30am. (We really do like to board as soon as we can, another factor for us in heading directly to Southampton from the Eurostar.)

After the five nights in Paris, we really didn't want to hassle with checking into a London hotel, especially since we'd have had such little time in London. Again, you may feel differently.

Anthem%20at%20City%20Cruise%20Terminal%201024x683_zpsjsahbikf.jpg

(photo by turtles06)