When Do They Kick Me Off?

Shore>Mom

Posted this on my Roll Call but didn't get much response, hoping for more results here. Don't need transfers leaving Miami but looking at Carnival transfers to FLL on departure. Flight is not until 2:45. I know what a nightmare Miami traffic is so here are my two questions

1. What is the latest Carnival will let us stay on the ship. We have done other cruises and I know we need to get out of cabin early but would love to hang around deck for awhile. I get that they are cleaning and that doesn't bother me. Just looking to extend our time as much as possible. So anyone know? What is the latest?

2. Are transfers by Carnival to FLL reserved by time? Will there be a later departure or will we need to go to airport early?

Any experience with transfer would be greatly appreciated. TIA

They will ask you to leave the room so they can clean at some point (I believe around 8 or 8:30) but then go up on the lido and just hang until they do last call for all guests. This is what we always do, everything is so easy by then no lines, customs is fast and easy to find your luggage - I believe it is usually around 10:00 when they do last call.

Can't help on the Carnival transfers as we always just take a cab.

Yikes. Carnival told me $30 for all of us. Just looked online and $31 per person. Going to look into SAS or just take a cab to FLL. Stinks.

Yeah, if you have 3 or more people taxi or private is the way to go.

Edited by cccer

Are transfers by Carnival to FLL reserved by time? Will there be a later departure or will we need to go to airport early?

Any experience with transfer would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Transfers are not by time, they get you off the ship right away, and as soon as the bus is full off to the airport you go.

We made the mistake once when we had a late afternoon flight. The transfer service was great and we were at the airport by 8:30 so we had to sit outside security until four hours before the flight because of check-in rules. Then we sat another another four hours at the gate.

We now stay on the ship as late as we can, and then get a cab to the airport.

The service from the airport to the ship was great, and there was nothing wrong with the ride, or the service back to the airport, but the wait in the airport was miserable.

With a flight as late in the afternoon as yours, I would opt to stay on the ship till last call then get a cab, or as another poster has suggested, rent a car.

Just keep in mind the longer you stay on the ship, the longer you delay everyone else from boarding and starting their vacation.

We always have a later flight and end up renting a car for the day.

Unless they decide to hide, I don't think there will be much of a delay. There has to be some one who is last, and if I had a late flight, I'd try to be that guy. At any rate, when they call last call, I'd head down to the exit. I don't think anyone is trying to hold the ship up, they just don't want to be zone 1 on disembarkation.

Posted this on my Roll Call but didn't get much response' date=' hoping for more results here. Don't need transfers leaving Miami but looking at Carnival transfers to FLL on departure. Flight is not until 2:45. I know what a nightmare Miami traffic is so here are my two questions

1. What is the latest Carnival will let us stay on the ship. We have done other cruises and I know we need to get out of cabin early but would love to hang around deck for awhile. I get that they are cleaning and that doesn't bother me. Just looking to extend our time as much as possible. So anyone know? What is the latest?

2. Are transfers by Carnival to FLL reserved by time? Will there be a later departure or will we need to go to airport early?

Any experience with transfer would be greatly appreciated. TIA[/quote']

Carnival generally kicks everyone off by 10 AM, you have to be out of your cabin by 0830, but what will they do to you if you are not out until 0900 really? They clean all the cabins thoroughly but they can't clean them all at once and I am sure they would work around your schedule if need be, just don't stay in there right until it is time to leave the ship. They have everyone congregate on lido, for breakfast until zones and self assist debarkation is called, starting about 0830 and going up until 1000 or so, when they have the last group get off. If you check bags for debarkation, you really should get off the ship when your zone is called so your bags aren't sitting out in baggage claim forever where anyone could walk away with your stuff and you wouldn't even know it. Nothing is open except for sometimes the photo gallery and guest services, so there is really no point to staying on the ship too long, unless you just want to sit out on a loungechair and hang for a while and it is so early in the morning anyway, that's really not too much fun. I do not know about transfers, I think they just take people as they get off the ship until the buses are full and then go back to the airports. I always use a private shuttle and they pick up when you call them to come get you. I have gone from Miami port to FLL so many times and have never had major problems with traffic either direction knock on wood. Don't worry too much about that. You will have plenty of time to get back to FLL and I suggest at least an hour and a half before scheduled departure in case ticket counter lines and security lines are long. I don't like getting there too early though as seating and food options are limited in that airport although with the coming renovations, that is getting better slowly. I have gotten off the ship by 0900 and been on a plane for home by 1020, so it is possible if you can move quickly and don't have a lot of bags with you for debarkation. I would figure the shuttles leave the port as long as people are still getting off the ship, at least until 1030, maybe later. Maybe call Carnival to check on that if you want.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Just keep in mind the longer you stay on the ship, the longer you delay everyone else from boarding and starting their vacation.

We always have a later flight and end up renting a car for the day.

Nope...false. Since you have to be out of the room by 8:30 the cleaning crews have full access to the individual passenger rooms...and With 7 or more passenger floors to clear of guests who have to pick up suitcases and head through customs it takes a good 3 or 4 hours to get them all off.

The Last call for disembarkation is made after the last zone number is cleared....and no matter if I am in the last dozen or so to leave the ship there is always still a small wait at the customs counter.

Unless the crew has to send a search party out for the stragglers we have NO impact on the arriving passengers.

Hahahahaha...yeah right.

Anyway, they say to be out the room by 8:30. For the Dream/Magic/Breeze, expect last call at 10:30. Other ships expect 10:00. Those times slip if anything delays docking or customs. Our last cruise the room steward told us we could stay in the room until 9:30. Our latest disembarks were 11:30 and noon, both times when customs was going so slow they halted calling zones several times.

SweetDtuchGirl is the one who is incorrect here. Carnival cannot board the next cruise until EVERYONE from the last cruise is clocked out. It has nothing to do with the cleaning time involved. They plan/assume they can get the ship cleared and the previous cruise closed out on the computer by 10am. Anything later than that DOES prevent the next cruise from starting as early as it could. As it ripples back up through customs clearance for them to start the next voyage embarkation. After all the passegners are cleared, then any crew that is leaving the ship at that sailing have to be cleared off the ship and then B2B are reboarded and then the next cruise can begin embarkation.

I was on a back to back cruise last year. All the B2B cruisers have to disembark after the last passengers get off and go out through customs and re-board the ship. We all stood in the lobby while they made several announcements for a family of about 5 people asking them to please disembark the ship. After about 30 minutes of waiting, this family gets up off the chairs there in the lobby and walks off the ship. They had been sitting there the whole time. They delayed us and the next cruise by about an hour and a half because they thought it was just fine to sit there.... people can be very selfish...

SweetDtuchGirl is the one who is incorrect here. Carnival cannot board the next cruise until EVERYONE from the last cruise is clocked out. It has nothing to do with the cleaning time involved. They plan/assume they can get the ship cleared and the previous cruise closed out on the computer by 10am. Anything later than that DOES prevent the next cruise from starting as early as it could. As it ripples back up through customs clearance for them to start the next voyage embarkation. After all the passegners are cleared, then any crew that is leaving the ship at that sailing have to be cleared off the ship and then B2B are reboarded and then the next cruise can begin embarkation.

I was on a back to back cruise last year. All the B2B cruisers have to disembark after the last passengers get off and go out through customs and re-board the ship. We all stood in the lobby while they made several announcements for a family of about 5 people asking them to please disembark the ship. After about 30 minutes of waiting, this family gets up off the chairs there in the lobby and walks off the ship. They had been sitting there the whole time. They delayed us and the next cruise by about an hour and a half because they thought it was just fine to sit there.... people can be very selfish...

I did talk about the hidden stragglers...and yes they can cause a problem. But until the announcement for "would all disembarking passengers please do so" I'll stick around as long as I can. I REFUSE to stand in lines when I am not required to do so. And..."early" boarding is not a given. The cruise line publishes a boarding time and if peeps arrive early they may be subject for waits for all kinds of reasons. I don't think I've ever been on a 4:30 departing ship whose published boarding time was earlier than noon or 1 o'clock.

I agree, that family was a bunch of idiots. However, they were there 30 minutes in the LOBBY and nobody noticed even one of the 5 people? They have all of their pictures and they were in the lobby. How hard was it find a family of five sitting in the lobby when you have their pictures and they're right in front of your eyes? The crew must have been still asleep.