Aft Cabins on Alaska Cruise

Threeferme

Westerdam July 2015 Alaska Cruise - My travel agent is suggesting I might want to switch from a 5028 room cabin to an Aft cabin and opt for an upgrade if available. I don't think an upgrade is likely since the suites are currently sold out. But how is the view of Alaska, especially Glacier Bay from aft as compared to a port side room on the same level. Thanks

I have done an Alaska cruise and we went with the Aft cabin. With a cabin on the port side you see port side stuff. With a aft cabin you get panoramic views off the back taking in both the port and starboard side. No wondering what the other side is seeing that way.

• 3 weeks later...
Westerdam July 2015 Alaska Cruise - My travel agent is suggesting I might want to switch from a 5028 room cabin to an Aft cabin and opt for an upgrade if available. I don't think an upgrade is likely since the suites are currently sold out. But how is the view of Alaska, especially Glacier Bay from aft as compared to a port side room on the same level. Thanks

Consider yourself lucky to get an aft balcony. We have had one on our last May Alaska cruise (RCI Radiance) and will have one again this September....AMAZING VIEWS :D

• 2 weeks later...
hello i'm new to the Alaska cruise was wondering if there will be able to swim and or spa? going on the Ruby Princess,

when are you going to Alaska?

Pools on the ship are NOT very large-- basically they are big enough to get in and stand around in.

Spa will always be opened

Edited by serene56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been mentioned that aft cabins/suites can vibrate due to proximity to the ships propellers especially when making up time or running from a storm. Probably not an issue on an Alaska cruise but it's worth mentioning. Also, if a big sea becomes a part of your cruise being all the way forward or all the way aft, regardless of what stateroom you're in, will challenge anyone with a propensity to motion sickness ;). Personally I'd grab that aft cabin were I you but my wife would kill me (the potential for a bit of rocking and rolling should the waves turn the minutes to hours keeps us mid ship on all cruises and me from being thrown overboard by an ill wife :D). Best place to see Alaska on a cruise ship? Up on deck - rain or shine ;).

We just sailed to Alaska and were in an aft cabin. Views were amazing!! You will get the panoramic view you can't get from being port or starboard. Yes, you will want to roam around the ship to get all around views however nothing beats going to your cabin at any time and being able to sit on the balcony and take in the absolute beauty of the scenery.

You can feel the ship rock a little more at times, however it was not a problem for us - we LOVED the cabin and are hooked!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The last place I'd want to be on an Alaska cruise during daylight is sitting in a metal box - regardless of which way it faces. Should any of you Alaska cruise get 'bumpy :rolleyes:' and you're prone to motion sickness being all the way forward or all the way aft will offer a very different view of Alaska. Keep in mind that cruise ship bathrooms are usually not very large and have no view :D. If the possibility of wave driven motion isn't a problem should a portion of your adventure become exciting I'd choose aft as aft has no obstructions [like a bow] in your line of sight.

We had a regular balcony for our Alaska cruise about 7 years ago. It was great. Since then we've started booking only aft balconies. Love them, and have never had an issue with added motion (it's not a big issue for Alaska, anyway) or prop vibration, or soot or anything else people seem to find problematic with the aft-facing verandas. There is also less wind on an aft than on any other veranda (or top deck, for that matter)

We're doing Alaska again next summer and have the aft booked, since we can't imagine any better place on the ship.

Oh, BTW, in Glacier Bay, the ship slowly turns so everyone gets a chance to see all sides.