GoogleFlights

Suzanne123

Just a heads up to anyone who routinely uses GoogleFlights to compare prices. I found some flights to Europe this fall on GoogleFlights.

On the GoogleFlights web site, after you choose the flights you want, they have a link to book with the airline. I used that link, but while I was looking at the seat map my Firefox browser froze. I closed Firefox, opened Safari, and went directly to the Delta web site. The exact same flights were $300 pp. cheaper.

I just went back to GoogleFlights to see if the price there went down, too, but it did not.

Lesson learned. It's a pain in the neck, but I'm doing my future price searches right at the airlines' web sites.

Lesson learned. It's a pain in the neck, but I'm doing my future price searches right at the airlines' web sites.

I search through multiple sources. However, very often Google Flights will find options that are less expensive than directly on the airline's website (most depending on the complexity of the itinerary).

It's your choice - but if you do that, you will miss the opportunities that Google Flights could have alerted you to, but which you can't easily find from the airlines' web sites.

All that this demonstrates is that there are no rules when searching for air fares. There are no short cuts, and there is no alternative to putting in the hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
The best thing that google flights and ITA do is mix and match airlines to find the cheapest prices for you.

Agreed.

In playing around I noticed that it can be cheaper (domestic flights) to book two one-way tickets instead of an r/t, example I'm looking at is fly out to Miami on AA, (cruise), fly home from LAX on Alaska. Over $150 cheaper.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this ?

I've found Google's fares to be hit or miss compared to other sites. No better. No worse.
This is unsurprising, seeing as Google is simply reporting what other sites are offering.

Google's power primarily lies in its ability to search more deeply, creatively and quickly than you could under your own steam.

In playing around I noticed that it can be cheaper (domestic flights) to book two one-way tickets instead of an r/t, example I'm looking at is fly out to Miami on AA, (cruise), fly home from LAX on Alaska. Over $150 cheaper.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this ?

No show-stopping reason why not. There are pros and cons; but if it works for you on price, timing etc, there's no reason why you shouldn't do what many people (including me) do all the time.