USB Ports on Public PC's on Oasis

Does anyone know if the USB ports on the public pc's on the Oasis are "active" and accessible? Wanted to transfer pictures from the SD card to a portable drive....Thanks.

The only input devises you will have access to on any ship board public computer is the keyboard and mouse. If you want to e-mail pictures then you will have to bring a laptop computer.

Thanks for the fast responses...I am one of those "belt and suspender" kind of guys when it comes to my photos...I read a post on one of the boards about having lost a whole week's of pictures by using a 16gb sd card and having his camera stolen...He then started bringing several smaller (1-2gb) cards and using one each day, that way your exposure to loss is just one day's photos...he locked the "used" cards in the safe and then put took them off and transferred them once back on dry land. I am bringing my laptop and my plan is to not only bring a card per day, but also will be transferring to a portable hard drive as well as keeping original card (write protected at end of day) as a backup...I'm even considering buying the internet package just so I can upload to my Amazon S3 drive every night while I sleep. This way my pictures will be triple protected against loss. In my case our 30th anniversary only comes around once.

Thanks for the fast responses...I am one of those "belt and suspender" kind of guys when it comes to my photos...I read a post on one of the boards about having lost a whole week's of pictures by using a 16gb sd card and having his camera stolen...He then started bringing several smaller (1-2gb) cards and using one each day, that way your exposure to loss is just one day's photos...he locked the "used" cards in the safe and then put took them off and transferred them once back on dry land. I am bringing my laptop and my plan is to not only bring a card per day, but also will be transferring to a portable hard drive as well as keeping original card (write protected at end of day) as a backup...I'm even considering buying the internet package just so I can upload to my Amazon S3 drive every night while I sleep. This way my pictures will be triple protected against loss. In my case our 30th anniversary only comes around once.

WOW!!!!!!!!, that could take all the fun out of a vacation:p;):rolleyes: Do what you have to do, my suggestion would be a few 8-16 cards from Best Buy and change every couple days to a new one. They aren't very expensive. Last thing I want to do on a vacation is haul around a laptop and spend time on all that tech stuff:) Seriously just put a new card in the camera each day if you're that paranoid and take them home!!!!

Unless you get free internet, the lowest price on the internet package is about $.30 per minute. I download my pictures every day to my laptop, but my backup to the cloud does not complete until I'm off the ship.

Uploading pictures, even small photographs (like 300KB size), via the ship's computers, is very expensive. It is very expensive because you have to pay for the time you use and the Internet speeds are very slow - like dial up slow.

WOW!!!!!!!!, that could take all the fun out of a vacation:p;):rolleyes: Do what you have to do, my suggestion would be a few 8-16 cards from Best Buy and change every couple days to a new one. They aren't very expensive. Last thing I want to do on a vacation is haul around a laptop and spend time on all that tech stuff:) Seriously just put a new card in the camera each day if you're that paranoid and take them home!!!!

Coronacruiser2013 is over doing it. All you need is to upload the photographs to the laptop (which can be done in a few minutes while getting dressed for dinner) and keep the original card in the safe. That way you have the original and a backup. The rest can be done at home.

I'm even considering buying the internet package just so I can upload to my Amazon S3 drive every night while I sleep. This way my pictures will be triple protected against loss. In my case our 30th anniversary only comes around once.

FWIW, the connection is so slow, that if you take a fare number of pictures they may never finish uploading. Personally if you're that worried that you need a 3rd backup copy, I'd suggest you just bring another USB drive and keep the two drives separate.

FWIW, the connection is so slow, that if you take a fare number of pictures they may never finish uploading. Personally if you're that worried that you need a 3rd backup copy, I'd suggest you just bring another USB drive and keep the two drives separate.

I always budget for using the on board wifi and to date have managed to find hotspots on board with relatively good upload speeds. If I have a problem I can disconnect and try again another time. I've uploaded pics and posted to CC fairly easily...... I'm using a simple point and shoot camera. Really high quality images will obviously take a lot longer. I'm quite content to use my laptop as backup. So far so good.

I always budget for using the on board wifi and to date have managed to find hotspots on board with relatively good upload speeds. If I have a problem I can disconnect and try again another time. I've uploaded pics and posted to CC fairly easily...... I'm using a simple point and shoot camera. Really high quality images will obviously take a lot longer. I'm quite content to use my laptop as backup. So far so good.

I read the OP's post as he was planning on doing more than uploading a few pictures. The handful works fine...once you get past that it starts adding up quickly in my experience.

Archived