Pack and Go Experts

Bases5

We were going to try to sneak a second cruise (4-5 day) next summer.2015

rate's are quite high right now and I do not want to put a 2ed deposit down before Christmas.

to book under ES. I was thinking about waiting till the last minute since I live within driving distance of 5 ports.

First off is there availability last minute in the summer.

Do the rates drop in the summer last minutes

I know you can't be sure. I was looking for past experience.

Anyone know

Sorry Bases,

I can't offer any first hand experience, as I live in Georgia and have to plan a little further in advance. I would have to use Charleston, Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, or Tampa, and it would still take me 6 hours to get there.

I will tell you I have seen websites listing last minute cruises, and the fares are always pretty low. Also, government regulations require them to turn in their passenger list 72 hours before departure.

Maybe you could check the fares of a few cruises for a couple weeks out, and then just check them 5 days out.

Wish I could offer something better.

We did 2 spur of the moment cruises this summer. The 1st was June 30, 5 days to Grand Cayman & Jamaica on the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was $149 per person, we paid $20 extra to get an inside room on deck 6. This was not one of the cruises where Carnival picks your room. Thought it was a great price.

The 2nd was a Pack & Go where Carnival picked our room. It was Aug. 31, 5 days to Nassau & Grand Turk on the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral. It was $139 per person, and we got a very nice inside room on deck 3. We thought this was an excellent price.

We live in Georgia, just north of Atlanta, so we always drive down the day before & stay the night. I do notice when looking that last minute cruises out of Miami seem to be the cheapest, but I look for the cheapest for places we haven't been or on ships we've never been on. Also, both cruises were booked less than 2 weeks to sailing.

If you're looking for a cheap, last minute cruise, this is definitely the way to go. Good Luck!!

Penny

Edited by CruzinPenny

Turns out the 72 hour government policy isn't true. Just widespread rumor, I had always believed. Evidently you can book right up to the day of departure.

Just wanted to clear up mu earlier post.

You are correct. The final manifest MUST be sent to Homeland Security 90 minutes prior to the ship sailing. That is the why you MUST sign onto the ship at least 90 minutes prior to sailing.

We booked a cruise out of Long Beach the night before it sailed! We paid $650/person for a balcony. It may not exactly be a steal but it was good enough for us since we were itching for a vacay! But I bet out of other ports you may get a lower price. We used Vacations To Go for that trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done several, some requiring flights to Europe. Surprisingly, the airfare wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. It seems the best prices are about three weeks out. If you don't mind when and where the cruise is going they are fine.

I think you have to be careful about the Pack & Go offers. No question you can get some last minute deals, but you can also pay MORE than regular guests... and get a bad cabin in the process.

The variable - in my opinion - is how far in advance you are purchasing the Pack & Go. If you are a week or two away from sail date, you're probably going to get the best deal.. that indicates the ship isn't full, and they are trying to fill up empty cabins.

But I have booked Pack & Go that were actually several weeks out, only to see the normal guest price drop LOWER than the Pack & Go rate (with a guaranteed cabin assignment) .. and Carnival does not offer any price protection on Pack & Go. Whatever you pay, you are stuck with.

On those cruises, I would have been better off with a regular rate and I would have had a cabin assignment, rather than Carnival choosing my cabin.

Bottom line - Pack & Go has a risk associated with it. Sometime you'll save money, and sometimes you won't. Sometimes you'll get a great cabin, sometimes you won't.

Edited by Barsnikel