How much and how to get from the Rome Pier to the airport 12:55 flight

Gail & Marty sailing away

You have a few options. 1. Take the airport transfer offered by your ship, which is a simple option, convenient, but a bit overpriced. 2. Arrange for a private transfer by car/van. Many of us love this option as there are some excellent private companies (we use Romecabs.com). A private transfer will usually become cost efficient with 2 couples and cheaper then the cruise line transfers if you get 3 or more couples. We have done this a few times and usually get a few couples together via the Cruise Critic Roll Call...and then e-mail Romecabs. There will be a driver waiting for you (with your name on a sign) when you get off the ship.

The lowest cost option, which is quite inconvenient is to use the regional trains. This means getting to the Civitavecchia train station (a 4-5 block walk from the main port entrance) and taking a train to a suburban Rome train station where you have to change to another train headed towards the airport. We do not recommend this option for anyone with luggage...and it also takes a lot more time then a simple driving transfer.

Hank

I'm a fairly frequent user of trains in Italy but even I would not recommend the train in this situation. First there's the issue of getting from the port exit to the train station, about a mile walk or bus ride. Cabs are not really an option, it would be hard to get one to take this short fare.

Then there's the train ride, with the change at Trastevere. Getting to your train at Civitavecchia might mean climbing down a flight of stairs and up the other side with your luggage. At Trastevere there are elevators.

The train ride itself takes between 1:20 - 1:40, depending on connections.

For a 12:55 flight, if it is direct to the States on a US-branded airline (American, United, US Air, Delta) you need to be at Terminal 5 three hours prior, or 9:55 AM. For all other flights you need to be at the main airport (Terminals 1 - 3) by 10:55 AM.

To be at the airport by 9:55 you'd need to be on a train from Civitavecchia no later than 7:44 AM. For 10:55 the last train you could take departs at 8:42.

I'm a fairly frequent user of trains in Italy but even I would not recommend the train in this situation. First there's the issue of getting from the port exit to the train station, about a mile walk or bus ride. Cabs are not really an option, it would be hard to get one to take this short fare.

Then there's the train ride, with the change at Trastevere. Getting to your train at Civitavecchia might mean climbing down a flight of stairs and up the other side with your luggage. At Trastevere there are elevators.

The train ride itself takes between 1:20 - 1:40, depending on connections.

For a 12:55 flight, if it is direct to the States on a US-branded airline (American, United, US Air, Delta) you need to be at Terminal 5 three hours prior, or 9:55 AM. For all other flights you need to be at the main airport (Terminals 1 - 3) by 10:55 AM.

To be at the airport by 9:55 you'd need to be on a train from Civitavecchia no later than 7:44 AM. For 10:55 the last train you could take departs at 8:42.

It is a flight to Copenhagen

We did a private transfer summer of 2013. Worked great until our flight was cancelled. So had to work the airlines to get a new flight. Rome is bad for delays and cancelations. Word of advice, if this happens, try to get to the east coast of the usa and then try to get home from there. If i can find the info on the transfer we used, i will post it.

As people said, flying to usa is its own terminal and you need to get there early.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Hello again.

We used: http://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com

Cost was $75 euro for my wife and i. They picked us up at the ship at 7am. Our flight was at 10:50am. I believe it took approx 1hr to get there so we arrived around 8am, maybe a bit afterwards. We arrived with enough time to get checked in but as i said above, our flight got cancelled so it did not really matter.

Want is the best way and cost getting from the Rome Pier to the airport for a 12:55 flight ??

Here is our happy story:

Valerio Fusco.

Valerio@caprigruppo.com

Cell. 0. 328 42 49 25 6 Dial 39 for Italy, or better, email him

Last year my husband I walked off the port grounds where, at the traffic circle, there were a long line of cars and taxis. We choose one (he spoke English and lives in Rome) who quoted us 130 EU for a delivery to our hotel at Rome's "other" airport, CIAMPINO. It was really worth the money and we were chauffeured in a Mercedes by a very nice gent. We had to use that airport to get close to our daughter who lives in Germany. To have done that trip via trains would have been a nightmare.

It was explained to us that the drivers who enter the port for pickups pay a fee which they must pass on to their passengers. The walk to the gate is only 150 meters....and well worth it.

Susan

Edited by MaisonRose
Double entry

Want is the best way and cost getting from the Rome Pier to the airport for a 12:55 flight ??

Here is our happy story:

Valerio Fusco.

Valerio@caprigruppo.com

Cell. 0. 328 42 49 25 6 Dial 39 for Italy, or better, email him

Last year my husband I walked off the port grounds where, at the traffic circle, there were a long line of cars and taxis. We choose one (he spoke English and lives in Rome) who quoted us 130 EU for a delivery to our hotel at Rome's "other" airport, CIAMPINO. It was really worth the money and we were chauffeured in a Mercedes by a very nice gent. We had to use that airport to get close to our daughter who lives in Germany. To have done that trip via trains would have been a nightmare.

It was explained to us that the drivers who enter the port for pickups pay a fee which they must pass on to their passengers. The walk to the gate is only 150 meters....and well worth it.

Susan

Hello again.

We used: http://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com

Cost was $75 euro for my wife and i. They picked us up at the ship at 7am. Our flight was at 10:50am. I believe it took approx 1hr to get there so we arrived around 8am, maybe a bit afterwards. We arrived with enough time to get checked in but as i said above, our flight got cancelled so it did not really matter.

How log ago was that thanks .. 75 EURO is cheap ??

Edited by we're sailing away....

• 3 weeks later...