QM2 arrival at Southampton (TA from NYC) - what time does self-disembarkation start?

Devon Bloke

Hello seasoned TAers!

I appreciate that this question is asked many times on this board, but would be glad if you could help me.

(a) We are in an inside cabin on deck 5. Roughly what time does disembarkation start for that deck?

(b)If we were to choose self-disembarkation from the QM2 when she arrives at Southampton on 22nd May from NYC, what time can we expect to be able to leave the ship?

© We'd be travelling back home via train from Southampton Central. Is it better to pre-book a taxi to the station or are there usually plenty there?

Thanking you in advance

Hello seasoned TAers!

I appreciate that this question is asked many times on this board, but would be glad if you could help me.

(a) We are in an inside cabin on deck 5. Roughly what time does disembarkation start for that deck?

(b)If we were to choose self-disembarkation from the QM2 when she arrives at Southampton on 22nd May from NYC, what time can we expect to be able to leave the ship?

© We'd be travelling back home via train from Southampton Central. Is it better to pre-book a taxi to the station or are there usually plenty there?

Thanking you in advance

If you are Britannia Grade I would expect to be off by 10am but that really all depends on what time the ship arrives and if all goes smoothly.

Self disembarkation usually starts about 7.30 but you only have a limited time to get off so you will have to eat breakfast in the Kings Court.

There are usually plenty of taxis at the dock so I would not bother pre-booking.

If you are Britannia Grade I would expect to be off by 10am but that really all depends on what time the ship arrives and if all goes smoothly.

Self disembarkation usually starts about 7.30 but you only have a limited time to get off so you will have to eat breakfast in the Kings Court.

Thanks for reply. I' interested by your comment about self disembarkation ("you only have a limited time to get off.." ) I thought that self disembarkation meant you had more choice as to what time you could get off the ship rather than a limited time. Could you elaborate please?

Cheers

Just to add; With self- disembarkation the guest will need to advise the front desk (Pursers desk) This has to be done in person ( not over the telephone) in order for them to see that the guest is able bodied, and fit enough to carry off their own luggage. ( The guest has to be able to carry off all their luggage in one go, once you exit there is no turning back to collect additional pieces)

You will also need to collect a small plastic 'self- disembarkation card' that is required to present to the security officer on disembarkation. On a previous thread I mentioned the self- disembarkation card and I was challenged by another poster who said that it wasn't necessary, however, it most certainly is. On a recent voyage, a family of three (in front of me) were turned back to collect one.

Thanks for reply. I' interested by your comment about self disembarkation ("you only have a limited time to get off.." ) I thought that self disembarkation meant you had more choice as to what time you could get off the ship rather than a limited time. Could you elaborate please?

Cheers

My most recent disembarkation instructions say self- disembarkation is if you want to disembark early before main disembarkation starts.

Self disembarkation is before main disembarkation ie you need to be off before everyone else gets off!

Of course, that is the main purpose of the self-help disembarkation but, unless there has been a recent change in policy, you may go ashore any time you choose. I have done so a few times in Southampton. One time we were talking so much to our new friends we decided to wait until 9:30 before leaving.

A few years ago Cunard was sending out information to the effect that taxis can be hard to get at the Southampton docks and for a fee of $10 the Tour Office will book one for a time of your choosing - and you pay the fare to the driver. The first time we did this the shore staff never heard of a "booked on board taxi" but there were plenty of them there.

The next year I again fell for this swindle (I guess I'm a slow learner:)) and paid the $10. At least that time the shore staff was aware of the pre-booked taxi offer but there was no special queue, as promised, because there were plenty of taxis so we just got in the first available one. On my more recent arrivals this offer has not been made. I spent the $10 on an extra G&T.