A couple MDR questions

scubamommy!

We chose the late seating in the MDR ( on Connie) mainly because we like to make the afternoon last a bit longer at the pool or happy hour or whatever. I have a few questions if you could help.

1- we have 8 in our group and linked the ressy numbers for MDR seating. Are there tables for 8 or are they just 10. Would they seat another couple with us?

2- How early can one be seated with the late dining? How late?

3-We love long dinners but what if we want to catch one of the shows one night, can we ask our server to have dishes come out faster than normal with any luck?

4- How is the cocktail/wine service with the packages during dinner? Will they come around often enough? Can we order a few at the beginning and request them to come with each course?

Thank you for any answers!

1: they have tables that seat anywhere form 2-10/12. it is unlikely you will be seated with anyone else.

2: the doors will open promptly at the assigned hour. more than 10 minutes late is considered rude and causes difficulty to your wait staff. if you will miss a night due to a late excursion ro other plans, please tell the wait staff ahead of time so they do not wait for you to arrive. if you will be very late then eat elsewhere, or skip the courses you missed.

3: you can certainly ask, and they will accommodate as best they can, but usually with late seating you attend the show BEFORE dinner.

4: no experience with the drink package in the MDR so cannot answer

1) If you have a group of 8, you'll probably be your own table.

2) Seating time is pretty well set. For the sake of the wait staff and the fellow diners, you probably want to target being there within a few minutes of that time. If you want more flexibility, you might consider doing Select dining. You can either show up when you feel like (and, in my experience, usually be seated within 5 minutes) or if you know your plans for each day, you can make reservations for the appropriate time on different nights so that you will have a table ready for you.

3) See note above. If you want to have that flexibility of timing, Select might be the best option for you. Traditional dining times are best served when courses can come out at traditional timings :) A one-off request can likely be accommodated, but more frequent requests might cause a bit more stress on the behind-the-scenes efforts.

4) Your drinks will be ordered from a different staff member than your meal. You should be able to express your wishes at the start (as to frequency, etc.). I will say this is one area that I have experienced less than A+ service. If you want a drink and the drink folks aren't around, a little whisper to either the waiter or asst. waiter (one of whom is usually lurking around the table) should shake the appropriate tailfeathers :)

Had late seating on the Connie with a beverage package. Loved it.

If you are all linked you should be at the same table for eight. Check this out on the first day when you get on board.

After the first night, the waiter will know that you want a cocktail or liqour. The bar person will come to your table each night. The wine steward will know you want wine each night , he will come to your table and make recommendations.

I tried a number of different wines at dinner during my 12 night cruise.

Enjoy.:)

In the main dining room they can't 'speed up service'. Some tables may be done 10 minutes before others, but there isn't a lot of latitude because of kitchen logistics. As another poster mentioned, you may want to consider Select Dining. But keep in mind, service is often a bit slower with a large group - in any restaurant.

The shows are timed so those with late dining can attend. On the odd night the main show is planned for pre-dinner, other nights the late show begins at 10:30.

We chose the late seating in the MDR ( on Connie) mainly because we like to make the afternoon last a bit longer at the pool or happy hour or whatever. I have a few questions if you could help.

1- we have 8 in our group and linked the ressy numbers for MDR seating. Are there tables for 8 or are they just 10. Would they seat another couple with us?

2- How early can one be seated with the late dining? How late?

3-We love long dinners but what if we want to catch one of the shows one night, can we ask our server to have dishes come out faster than normal with any luck?

4- How is the cocktail/wine service with the packages during dinner? Will they come around often enough? Can we order a few at the beginning and request them to come with each course?

Thank you for any answers!

As others have mentioned, there are several table choices...2, 4, 6

8...they are all offered.

There are Wine Sommeliers and bar servers. I just sailed Century and

we had 6 top (there were 5 of us) and we had late seating. Loved it:)

We had the best wait staff....both gals were terrific.

If you want to see a show? Late diners have the show before dinner,

other than formal night...then the show is after dinner.

How early can you be seated?..late dining is 8:30 and if the dining

room is open 8:28 you can go in when the doors open;)

As for rushing through dinner? We never wanted to rush and had a

lovely time.:)

If you like a long leisurely dinner, may I suggest you try Ocean Liners for one night with your group. They have a table in the wine cellar that seats 8-10 so it is a little bit more private. Dont think basement wine cellar. Think I have this fantastic wine cellar and I want to show it off. It is really nicely done and you are surrounded by the wine racks as you eat. You will be there for about 2 hours for dinner as they do not rush you to get out.

Thank you for the responses every one. I only asked about how late you can arrive to know what to expect from other guests, we are always very prompt. We do not like to rush but was concerned about the late show, I read now there is only one night they do that? Really glad to hear the comments about beverage service not being a problem at dinner! We didn't choose select dinning because I thought trying to get a group of 8 in at certain times would be a problem PLUS having to get our group to DECIDE on different times would be confusing, this keeps it simple and I like having the same servers who get to know your habits.

As for the other restaurants besides the MDR, well they sound very nice but with companions traveling with us on all different budgets we will need to stick to what is paid/included for this time. I have it on my list to enjoy for our next cruise we plan.

Thanks everyone!