Need help with new DSLR

HEINER

Would like to get a DSLR for a beginner. I have looked at Nikon 3200 it comes with an extra lens 55-200 for $599.00 want to keep the price under $600.00

About the only time I take pictures is when we are cruising we have a Baltic cruise this year with a week in Berlin before.

Need something very easy to use. So what would you recommend I am open to any suggestion.

Thanks for any information you can me.

Well, your best bet is to go to a true camera shop, and get some different models from different makers into your hands! All major brands (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus) are available in entry-level models that are capable of taking great photos. Each has a different "feel", and some will like one brand over another. The controls, the control menus, the size and weight - all of these are highly subjective. Then you have to factor in the lens selections available for the brand and model, since you're moving out of the one-lens-all-the-time zone. Some brands will make you buy lots of pricey glass, others will let you pop on a 40 year old lens and use it...

If that sounds OK, then some research time online and in real life is your best bet. You may also want to consider a Bridge camera, less hassle in some ways than a DSLR, but very capable. Or, a "micro 4/3rds" system, with interchangeable lenses but generally smaller and lighter. Olympus and Sony excel in this, if your budgets allow a bit of stretch.

Some models you may want to investigate

Pentax (Ricoh now) K-30, K-50 or used models of K-5 or earlier

Used Sony Nex (new may be too pricey)

Whatever the current Canon or Nikon entry-level model is

Canon G10 bridge

The important thing, tho, is pick a camera that feels right to you. Don't let advertising sway your choice - they ALL take better photos than most of us can manage.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why do you think you need a DSLR? If you are budget conscious, you may want to reconsider. What are you using now?

Check out this alternative just announced today

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LZ40K?sc_ec=epp-club_audio_new-audio-imaging-products_pcec_1522890_03242014

Edited by dileep

I think dileep gave you some good advice. Really give some serious consideration to one of the excellent super zooms now available. I have a Canon super zoom that takes excellent photos, but for really wet weather I have a more compact waterproof that is very pocketable. For my more serious photography I have a high end Canon DSLR (5D mark iii). For going on a cruise, if I had only one to take, I would chose the super zoom every time. Lots of flexibility, great telescopic range, generally not too bad in low light, built in flash, not too heavy, and you cannot spend any more money by adding lenses. Compared to the DSLRs they are affordable and much easier to carry around.

Why do you think you need a DSLR? If you are budget conscious, you may want to reconsider. What are you using now?

Check out this alternative just announced today

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LZ40K?sc_ec=epp-club_audio_new-audio-imaging-products_pcec_1522890_03242014

I looked at this camera I like it very much. And great price. Maybe I need to look at the super zoom camera. Would be easy to use.

The other camera that has been talked about on here is the Panasonic FZ200 B&H has that one for $389.95. Between the two what one is the better camera?

I have now a Sony DSC-HX1 it was $499.00 and I have had it about 4 years. Has a 20 zoom. It still is a good camera but with all the new technology it's out dated and want something new.

Thanks everyone for all you information.

Although I love Panasonic superzooms and own one myself, I need to point out that the model suggested has neither an optical or electronic viewfinder, but only a LCD screen for composing images. I find that when traveling I really appreciate a viewfinder as bright sun can wash out an LCD screen and make it unusable. If this is important to you, Panasonic and all other camera makers do make bridge cameras with viewfinders also. Of course all DSLR's have viewfinders by definition.

I looked at this camera I like it very much. And great price. Maybe I need to look at the super zoom camera. Would be easy to use.

The other camera that has been talked about on here is the Panasonic FZ200 B&H has that one for $389.95. Between the two what one is the better camera?

I have now a Sony DSC-HX1 it was $499.00 and I have had it about 4 years. Has a 20 zoom. It still is a good camera but with all the new technology it's out dated and want something new.

Thanks everyone for all you information.

I have had my FZ200 for a year and a half and love it. At $389 it is a steal. Better than the new Panasonic at a slightly higher price! Recommend it highly.

I have had my FZ200 for a year and a half and love it. At $389 it is a steal. Better than the new Panasonic at a slightly higher price! Recommend it highly.

Does the FZ200 have a viewfinder? Thanks for your help.

.... It still is a good camera but with all the new technology it's out dated and want something new.

This may seem like a snark, but it isn't. In all seriousness, cameras don't get out dated. Newer models might *add* something useful, but your camera will still take pictures just as well as when it was new. Do you want a new camera because of something your current one lacks? Or just because it's "old" and you want something new? If you need new capability, go for it. If not, keep using your old one and spend the $$ on something fun :cool:

Jim (still using an almost 8 yr old DSLR)

Yes go to this web site and get a full review on this camera.http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

Also their is good info here, look further down listed FZ200 and see what your fellow cruisers think of this camera and additional good info.

Dpreview.com is also a good place to look for camera reviews and forums on camera and get info from other people.

Check it out.

Tom :cool:

Would like to get a DSLR for a beginner. I have looked at Nikon 3200 it comes with an extra lens 55-200 for $599.00 want to keep the price under $600.00

Need something very easy to use. So what would you recommend I am open to any suggestion.

With all due respect, and setting aside the reality that my standards are almost definitely far higher than yours, any kit that has a camera, a "walkaround" lens (such as an 18-55), plus a telephoto 55-200 for $600 is going to be junk. You're going to be really frustrated with the 55-200 lens, as it's just not likely to give you good pictures except under great sunlight.

DSLRs usually offer a "full auto" mode, but one of their (dis)advantages is the larger sensor than compact cameras, which naturally results in a thinner slice of the world being in focus, thereby necessitating more care in getting the focus right. If you're looking for very simple to use, I think this "feature" alone could be enough to drive you batty.

Here's a great story of someone who bought a kit and thought that was all the gear he'd ever need, then slowly ended up buying a lot more stuff, but also threw out or sold a good portion of what he bought along the way: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/07/lenses-dont-collect-the-whole-set If $600 is all you can spend on photography for the next 2-5 years, I think there are much better choices than a DSLR kit.

As noted above, it does. I recently bought the FZ200 as an alternative to my DSLR, for when I don't want to carry the heavy gear around. I'm still trying it out, but I like it so far for what it is. (Do a search on here and you'll see several threads about this camera, with photos that people have taken. I've posted one below.) Having a viewfinder is important to me, and the one on this camera is quite good for a non-DSLR.

I will add though, and this may sound strange, that it's a complicated camera to learn (unless you just keep it in one of the full auto modes, which actually seem to do a pretty good job). And that's not because it does anything special, but because Panasonic has packed so much into such a small space that many of the controls are layered into on-screen menus and dials, so you really have to learn and remember where everything is (more so than on some DSLRs). Practice, practice!

The camera is now selling for under $400, which is a great price.

FemaleMallard1024x871_zps2e9a1f67.jpg

(photo by turtles06, Panasonic Lumix FZ200)

Edited by Turtles06

With all due respect, and setting aside the reality that my standards are almost definitely far higher than yours, any kit that has a camera, a "walkaround" lens (such as an 18-55), plus a telephoto 55-200 for $600 is going to be junk. You're going to be really frustrated with the 55-200 lens, as it's just not likely to give you good pictures except under great sunlight.

DSLRs usually offer a "full auto" mode, but one of their (dis)advantages is the larger sensor than compact cameras, which naturally results in a thinner slice of the world being in focus, thereby necessitating more care in getting the focus right. If you're looking for very simple to use, I think this "feature" alone could be enough to drive you batty.

Here's a great story of someone who bought a kit and thought that was all the gear he'd ever need, then slowly ended up buying a lot more stuff, but also threw out or sold a good portion of what he bought along the way: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/07/lenses-dont-collect-the-whole-set If $600 is all you can spend on photography for the next 2-5 years, I think there are much better choices than a DSLR kit.

"Standards" aside, most photographers moving to a DSLR for the first time are not going to want to spend $4k+ on a body and another $4k on a couple of pro lenses. Entry-level is designed for just that purpose. It provides an affordable way to get into the more challenging world of interchangeable lens cameras. If the enthusiasm remains high and the urge to step up to "better" lenses grabs you, then it's time to plunk down the big bucks. Besides, the quality of kit lenses has improved enormously over the last decade and since most photographers don't obsess over corner sharpness at 200% on a 30" monitor, the "kitters" serve their function admirably at a reasonable price.

For every photog who raves about the lens they just spent $2000 on, there is probably one kicking themselves for the slight visible improvement in a normally viewed image after spending 5x the money on "pro" glass.

I want to try home brewing, but I'm not willing to buy a controlling share in Miller to try it out. ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

"Standards" aside, most photographers moving to a DSLR for the first time are not going to want to spend $4k+ on a body and another $4k on a couple of pro lenses. Entry-level is designed for just that purpose. It provides an affordable way to get into the more challenging world of interchangeable lens cameras. If the enthusiasm remains high and the urge to step up to "better" lenses grabs you, then it's time to plunk down the big bucks. Besides, the quality of kit lenses has improved enormously over the last decade and since most photographers don't obsess over corner sharpness at 200% on a 30" monitor, the "kitters" serve their function admirably at a reasonable price.

Valid points, but a $600 two-lens kit is going to be absolute bottom-of-the-barrel. That 55-200 zoom isn't going to have IS, and it's going to be f/5.6 across much of the long end. The body is limited to ISO 6400, and probably noisy at that point. All of that gobbledygook is going to lead to blurry (or noisy, or both) pictures with the telephoto zoom in anything but good sunlight. The enthusiasm isn't going to remain high under those conditions, and the buyer is going to think DSLR wasn't a wise investment. None of this requires a 30" monitor, either.

I'm reading between the lines, but I get the feeling that $600 is absolute max the OP is willing to spend ON PHOTOGRAPHY, aside from prints. If that's the case, I think a different camera is going to serve them better, possibly leaving some budget for a tripod (which will make more of a difference than most other accessories they might buy). That's just my opinion, and I welcome yours as well.

... That 55-200 zoom isn't going to have IS, and it's going to be f/5.6 across much of the long end. The body is limited to ISO 6400, and probably noisy at that point. .

You'd be surprised how many great photos were taken with non-stabilized 70-210 f/4,.5-f/5.6 zooms mounted on cameras limited to a usable maximum of ISO 1000 (usually ISO 200-400). The move from film to digital has us so very spoiled.

I did a little poking around and the D3200 kit in that range ($609 on Amazon) comes with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR lenses. Both are stabilized and both show excellent sharpness on SLRgear's test, though the 18-55 is best at f/5.6 and up. The D3200 itself shows high-ISO performance similar to the Canon 7D on the DPReview comparitor and looks good up to 3200 and useable to 6400 (max 12800). One of the benefits of the megapixel and ISO arms race we've had for the last 15 years is that even the entry-level handily trounces pro-level rigs of only a few years past. True, the D3200 won't take a hit like a an old Canon 1D MIII and the viewfinder won't be as bright but the image quality of the Nikon isn't affected by either of those.

Even at the $600 price point, it's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

You'd be surprised how many great photos were taken with non-stabilized 70-210 f/4,.5-f/5.6 zooms mounted on cameras limited to a usable maximum of ISO 1000 (usually ISO 200-400). The move from film to digital has us so very spoiled.

I did a little poking around and the D3200 kit in that range ($609 on Amazon) comes with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR lenses. Both are stabilized and both show excellent sharpness on SLRgear's test, though the 18-55 is best at f/5.6 and up. The D3200 itself shows high-ISO performance similar to the Canon 7D on the DPReview comparitor and looks good up to 3200 and useable to 6400 (max 12800). One of the benefits of the megapixel and ISO arms race we've had for the last 15 years is that even the entry-level handily trounces pro-level rigs of only a few years past. True, the D3200 won't take a hit like a an old Canon 1D MIII and the viewfinder won't be as bright but the image quality of the Nikon isn't affected by either of those.

Even at the $600 price point, it's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

If we're sticking just to the entry-level DSLRs, keep in mind that Pentax has options that will probably fit in the budget, will provide you with both weather-sealed WR body/lenses *and* in-body SR (IS if you want to use that term) that will work on *ALL* lenses, and will allow you to use just about any pentax K-mount lens made for hte past 50 yrs... The OP is encouraged to search on reviews for the K-30, K-50, K-500 DSLRs, and the Q or MX-1 mirrorless ILCs. Good image quality, good price (especially if willing to buy used). I myself am upgrading to a K-30 or a K-5iis and WR glass for an Alaska trip in June...

Jim

About the only time I take pictures is when we are cruising we have a Baltic cruise this year with a week in Berlin before.

Thanks for any information you can me.

The entry bundles provide a good starting point. IMHO if you are looking for good vaction pictures, don't plan on using the flash much and won't be taking action pictures you might take a read here and see what P&S might meet your needs: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

A DSLR offers faster focus, better low light performance, ability to add an external flash ( big plus ), switch lenses ( even the consumer zooms work well in good light ). But if you want to take it up a notch you'll need to be ready to spend several thousand dollars on lenses to get the most out of even the entry DSLR. I've shot my son's entry D3100 with my 2.8 zoom and gotten spectacular results, the big challenge they weight of them can be a burden. I've almost graduated completely to a mirrorless and 3 lenses that almost are smaller than even the D3200 and the kit lense. For vacation's I'd almost consider a wide angle addition to the kit lense versus a "zoom."

There is nothing wrong with the Nikon3200 and the kit lens. It is much better then a point and shoot.

I don't understand these think they are a professional saying that the kit lens are not good.

The Nikon 18-140 kit lens that comes with the D7100 is very good lens.

I don't understand why these amateurs think they need a fast 2.8 lens. Most people do not take photos in the dusk. at ISO 100 anymore. And with the (for example) the D3200 capable of ISO 3200 with very little noise will shoot very good pictures in little light even with a 5.6 max lens.

Never had a problem taking pictures in a museum without a flash with a D5000 with the kit lens.

We currently have a D3200 and a D7100 and the use a Nikon 18-300 f5.6 lens and have no problem taking pictures in low light.

Same as the would be people that thinks you must shoot in RAW.

Some of the reputable NYC camera stores that are online (except one they shut off on Friday night and come back on Sunday) have god deals and often has used cameras at a good discount.

I have enjoyed my Olympus e-520 I bought several years back. I just bought a point and shoot waterproof Olympus Tg-2 iHS.

You can't go wrong with the major brands. Technology improves so fast even my e-520 is a bit dated.

I think dileep gave you some good advice. Really give some serious consideration to one of the excellent super zooms now available. I have a Canon super zoom that takes excellent photos, but for really wet weather I have a more compact waterproof that is very pocketable. For my more serious photography I have a high end Canon DSLR (5D mark iii). For going on a cruise, if I had only one to take, I would chose the super zoom every time. Lots of flexibility, great telescopic range, generally not too bad in low light, built in flash, not too heavy, and you cannot spend any more money by adding lenses. Compared to the DSLRs they are affordable and much easier to carry around.

Airheadfan,

Great advice. I say 'great advice' only because it's the only advice I would be able to offer myself even though the advice isn't an entry level DSLR. Our kits are also the same ;) I can't imagine buying any DSLR / lens combo that would compare to a Canon Super Zoom and a SuperZoom also avoids the need to $pend for additional lenses.

Edited by PaulMedik

Airheadfan,

Great advice. I say 'great advice' only because it's the only advice I would be able to offer myself even though the advice isn't an entry level DSLR. Our kits are also the same ;) I can't imagine buying any DSLR / lens combo that would compare to a Canon Super Zoom and a SuperZoom also avoids the need to $pend for additional lenses.

PaulMedik....what Canon Super Zoom do you have?

Thanks

A big thanks to everyone for all the information you have given us. I have looked at different site that have been recommended. I think maybe the Super Zoom camera may be the way to go. What one would be the best to buy? I will go to the camera store by us and check out some of the camera that have been recommended.

Really the only time I take pictures in when we are on a cruise so I need something easy for me to use.

Again thanks!!!