Probiotics Before a Cruise

LuCruise

You book way in advance, plan and plan, not to mention the money spent, and so the last thing you want is for someone to be sick just before or on the cruise.

I have taught my kids to wash their hands and tell them over and over not to put their hands in their mouth (my 6 year old has a wiggly tooth so it's a bad habit now) but they are kids.

Before our Disney World trip in 2014, I started giving them probiotics to keep their immune system strong. We had a great trip and no one was sick (but of course I can't say if the probiotics helped or not). I stopped shortly when we got back as DH didn't like them taking something ongoing outside of vitamins.

So my question is...do any of you give your kids probiotics prior to a trip (or ongoing) to lessen chance of getting sick? We are 4 weeks away from our cruise, so i I were to give them, i would start soon so their bodies could get used to them.

PS - I take them daily myself.

PPS - Our kids do like yogurt but aside from the yogurt drink, not sure how much probiotics are actually in them.

Edited by LuCruise

We tried to start them, brought them onboard and never took them. Just kept forgetting.

I think probiotics are awesome so I would say do it :) we also bought a hand sanitizing lotion on Amazon that is supposed to help with norivirus. He used that constantly. We all came home healthy :)

My kids take something called Immune-C ... can't remember what's in it in addition to Echinacea and Vitamin C. They take that daily.

Prior to a trip we all stock up on what we call stay-health pills - "sambucol" which is an elderberry extract.

I wasn't aware that probiotics helped with boosting the immune system.

we are leaving on the 17th of April and sickness has hit our house full force since the beginning of February, from the stomach bug to colds, and now to my 5 year old having STREP for over 22 days (she is now on her 3rd round of antibiotics and we have an appointment with an ENT at the end of the month)....because of her I have started both kiddos on a chewable probiotic and plan on keeping them on it until the day we cruise...I wont take it on the cruise because the one they think tastes yummy has to be refrigerated, but when we get back I may begin it again with them...or just go to every other day....probiotics are great for the digestive track and immune system so yes I would say get them on it, as for me I have started 2000mg of vitamin C to help take care of a horrible head cold I am battling....I will most likely be getting my gallbladder removed before we cruise so hopefully that happens sooner vs closer to sail away!

we are leaving on the 17th of April and sickness has hit our house full force since the beginning of February, from the stomach bug to colds, and now to my 5 year old having STREP for over 22 days (she is now on her 3rd round of antibiotics and we have an appointment with an ENT at the end of the month)....because of her I have started both kiddos on a chewable probiotic and plan on keeping them on it until the day we cruise...I wont take it on the cruise because the one they think tastes yummy has to be refrigerated, but when we get back I may begin it again with them...or just go to every other day....probiotics are great for the digestive track and immune system so yes I would say get them on it, as for me I have started 2000mg of vitamin C to help take care of a horrible head cold I am battling....I will most likely be getting my gallbladder removed before we cruise so hopefully that happens sooner vs closer to sail away!

Ugh...am so sorry to hear. And your poor 4 year old with the strep that won't go away. I do hope it leaves.

Us too...I feel like the colds just keep recycling. My DD just woke up with one AGAIN. So off to the drug store today. When we went away in 2014 I had found a chewable one that they liked so hope they still have it. Fingers crossed it'll help.

Enjoy your cruise. You leave right when we return. Hope the probiotics help.

Count me in the old school. I don't give kids medicine unless they actually need them. Really need them. Not just in case they might need them. Don't get me wrong, I really don't have a problem with giving them medicine and when my kids were little they got "one a day" vitamins but I see no reason to give them something they don't really need. After all, that then becomes what YOU want to them to have so your life is easier.

Just my opinion but you did ask.

I have allergies to a lot of antibiotics. I am super careful what I take because I want it to work when I need it and not make my body non responsive to them. Back when I was a teenager tetrycycline was given out like aspirin. Then they found out it was bad and now many people have allergy reactions or can't take it at all. Over abuse of any medication in this age of knowledge is not responsible. Even if it is said there are no side effects - that is now they don't know of no side effects. Ten years from now they may find out it was a horrible thing to do.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Thanks notentirelynormal. And I get it, as I guess we really don't know. Your post does make me think twice. Everyone has their own opinions. I have a friend who doesn't give her kids any vitamins or supplements and doesn't even give them vaccines, but the one thing she does give are probiotics. We do give our kids daily vitamins (my DS10 is so picky that he needs the nutrients) and vitamin D (my mom had multiple sclerosis and they say that low vitamin D is a risk factor). For the probiotic we'll stop it after the cruise, but just giving the extra immune support for the few weeks leading up to it. Yes, if someone gets sick it affects all of us, but who likes seeing their kid suffer too...and especially on vacation when you are no where near their doctor and you know they would like to enjoy things too.

PS - I'm sorry that you have allergies as that's not fun.

Count me in the old school. I don't give kids medicine unless they actually need them. Really need them. Not just in case they might need them. Don't get me wrong, I really don't have a problem with giving them medicine and when my kids were little they got "one a day" vitamins but I see no reason to give them something they don't really need. After all, that then becomes what YOU want to them to have so your life is easier.

Just my opinion but you did ask.

I have allergies to a lot of antibiotics. I am super careful what I take because I want it to work when I need it and not make my body non responsive to them. Back when I was a teenager tetrycycline was given out like aspirin. Then they found out it was bad and now many people have allergy reactions or can't take it at all. Over abuse of any medication in this age of knowledge is not responsible. Even if it is said there are no side effects - that is now they don't know of no side effects. Ten years from now they may find out it was a horrible thing to do.

probiotics really isn't a "medication" its live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. It also supports your immune system. Its like the active enzymes you would find in some yogurts...

probiotics really isn't a "medication" its live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. It also supports your immune system. Its like the active enzymes you would find in some yogurts...

But I think like more or less anything else, your body gets used to it and so (if the time comes when you actually need it) it won't have any effect.

We do probiotics almost everyday, but especially before and during travel. We don't do vitamins, but rather try to eat a well-rounded diet that includes all necessary vitamins. (I also don't give meds unless absolutely necessary, but probiotics are not meds and your body won't build up a tolerance to them).

I started the probiotics with my son. Unfortunately my daughter has come down with the stomach flu so waiting for her to recover fully before introducing them to her. They do eat yogurt lots though so not something totally foreign to them.

Well, to be honest, I've never heard of probiotics so don't know enough about it to discuss in my detail. It sounded from the "biotics" part that you were giving them something like a vitamin etc. If you are only talking about having them eat such as yogurt then I would say, go for it.

Well, to be honest, I've never heard of probiotics so don't know enough about it to discuss in my detail. It sounded from the "biotics" part that you were giving them something like a vitamin etc. If you are only talking about having them eat such as yogurt then I would say, go for it.

Probiotics include the good bacteria for your digestive system that some yogurts have, but in a supplement form.

P.S. - Love your alias name

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

you are not doing them any favors. Many commercial yogurts are full of sugar. One teaspoon of sugar equals 4 grams so read the label on your yogurt.

Plain yogurt with fresh fruit is a good choice if your child will eat it that way.

My post is about giving probiotics, but was just describing to the person that mentioned what probiotics are. I agree that flavored yogurts have tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners.

I was concerned about colds leading up to our cruise, especially with a toddler in daycare (they get everything that goes around!). I drank lots of OJ to get my vitamin C. I still got sick 4th day out. I spent all of Nassau coughing like crazy. I just sat in the tour bus while everyone else did the fort. Our driver even took us to get tea because I was coughing so much!

Next trip I plan on going back to Echinacea leading up to the trip. Probiotics seems like a good idea also.

Have you tried kefir?

Google benefits of kefir...

Now admittedly there is some sugar in there. But my lo drinks a cup with kefir in it during bedtime story time every night. They do make smaller individual ones so we are bringing them on the ship with us.

He also takes an immunity gummy vitamin daily- vitamin C with echinacea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was concerned about colds leading up to our cruise, especially with a toddler in daycare (they get everything that goes around!). I drank lots of OJ to get my vitamin C. I still got sick 4th day out. I spent all of Nassau coughing like crazy. I just sat in the tour bus while everyone else did the fort. Our driver even took us to get tea because I was coughing so much!

Next trip I plan on going back to Echinacea leading up to the trip. Probiotics seems like a good idea also.

Vitamin C doesn't stop colds. And if enough vitamin C doesn't stop a cold, taking twice as much as you need won't help either - your body will just reject it.

One thing that causes colds is sitting in tour buses with people who are coughing their germs out like crazy. I bet there were a lot of people in Nassau caught a cold that day. With any luck next time you'll see it coming before the trip starts, rather than have it come on without warning half way through the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Immunity begins in the gut and probiotics aren't something the body "gets used to" and renders them useless. Balancing your gut flora is never a bad idea and especially before a trip. Limiting sugar and processed foods in addition to a powdered probiotic can only strengthen the immune system. It's not medication nor an antibiotic, it's healthy bacteria. Do it!! Having said that, I don't typically do the sweetened yogurts as my kids' probiotic. I use a powdered one for kids and mix it into a smoothie or plain yogurt with some honey to boost it up. I agree that the extra sugar is just going to feed the bad bacteria which is not your goal.

I always up the probiotics when my kiddos are fighting illness and they really get past it quickly. I actually do probiotics during trips too, helps keep us all going strong. Have your hubby do a little research on the matter. His perspective may change a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Immunity begins in the gut and probiotics aren't something the body "gets used to" and renders them useless. Balancing your gut flora is never a bad idea and especially before a trip. Limiting sugar and processed foods in addition to a powdered probiotic can only strengthen the immune system. It's not medication nor an antibiotic, it's healthy bacteria. Do it!! Having said that, I don't typically do the sweetened yogurts as my kids' probiotic. I use a powdered one for kids and mix it into a smoothie or plain yogurt with some honey to boost it up. I agree that the extra sugar is just going to feed the bad bacteria which is not your goal.

I always up the probiotics when my kiddos are fighting illness and they really get past it quickly. I actually do probiotics during trips too, helps keep us all going strong. Have your hubby do a little research on the matter. His perspective may change a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I did end up starting our kids on the probiotics and it will carry in throughout our cruise. I've found a chewable kind that they like taking so it's not a hassle. It's good that they have a powdered kind too as kids can't swallow pill form.

Do you give your kids probiotics all the time? My DH is hesitant since he's not convinced they've been proven as safe, so not sure we'll continue after the trip. My kids do eat yogurt, and my DD will take plain greek kind and we add in honey, bit my DS is super picky and will only take the pre-flavored kinds (some have probiotics but with the extra sugar).

Immunity begins in the gut and probiotics aren't something the body "gets used to" and renders them useless.

The body gets used to bad bacteria in the gut - hence the reason, for example, that people who drink nothing but pasteurised milk get sick when the pasteurisation plant fails, but people who routinely drink unpasteurised milk do not get sick. So why doesn't the body get used to good bacteria?

You'll get a million conflicting opinions on the Internet. I don't think probiotics hurt, but may not help prevent any illnesses, either. i take emergenC powder before and during my cruise. It may be psychological, but it makes me feel like I'm warding off all the germs and viruses around me.