Tampa - Can you dump luggage + walk somewhere for food ?

dgparent

We are getting to Tampa at 9:30 AM can we just take a cab to the port, dump our luggage and walk somewhere for food or is the walk > 1/4 mile ? The only 2 FL ports I have been to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale there was no way to walk to an area with restaurants after dropping off your luggage.

We are getting to Tampa at 9:30 AM can we just take a cab to the port, dump our luggage and walk somewhere for food or is the walk > 1/4 mile ? The only 2 FL ports I have been to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale there was no way to walk to an area with restaurants after dropping off your luggage.

Shops and restaurants within 2-3 blocks from the terminal.....

We are getting to Tampa at 9:30 AM can we just take a cab to the port, dump our luggage and walk somewhere for food or is the walk > 1/4 mile ?...

With that timeline, why would you not just check in and board the ship as soon as possible, eating onboard? Just curious. Assuming your flight is on time, you will still have to wait for your luggage and then get a cab to the port; it could potentially be 10:30 or later, perfect time to check in, in my opinion. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Thanks for your replies :)

We are not checking in right away because we hate sitting in that waiting room for an hour or 2 while they prepare the ship. I would rather eat a nice lunch then walk right on board around 12:30

Give Flambe a try. They have a Sunday Brunch. but they don't open until 11A., also regular lunch menu. Not sure if other places, except Hooters are open early on Sunday. Used to be a coffee shop next tot he terminal but I think I read it closed.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 10 months later...

We are a group of 11 that are sailing on Brilliance of the Seas Jan 30/16. So excited that it is the same day as their pirate festival Gasparilla!

We are wondering about dropping our large suitcases with the Porters in Tampa. BUT we then want to walk downtown to the waterfront to see the festivities and happenings with Gasparilla.

Our problem is our carry ons [ back packs.] We don't want to lug those around for a couple of hours. Is there any place at the port that we could have them hold them until say 1:00pm when we return to the ship to Board?

Our problem is our carry ons [ back packs.] We don't want to lug those around for a couple of hours. Is there any place at the port that we could have them hold them until say 1:00pm when we return to the ship to Board?

I have never seen lockers or such at any pier we've been to. There just isn't the room to do this. I have seen lockers on the "other" side, for disembarkation, but not before boarding. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

We are a group of 11 that are sailing on Brilliance of the Seas Jan 30/16. So excited that it is the same day as their pirate festival Gasparilla!

We are wondering about dropping our large suitcases with the Porters in Tampa. BUT we then want to walk downtown to the waterfront to see the festivities and happenings with Gasparilla.

That is a pretty tall order. The port isn't too far from the festivities, but the crowds will be pretty big...around 350,000 to 500,000...traffic will be insane and there are a LOT of rumors of an Uber strike on the day of the parade.

Here is some info for ya though...Good Luck

About the Gasparilla Invasion Brunch: The Gasparilla Invasion Brunch at the Tampa Convention Center provides the best view in town of the historic Gasparilla Invasion, as the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla sail up Seddon Channel aboard the Jose Gasparilla accompanied by a majestic flotilla, docking tableside at 1 p.m. at the Tampa Convention Center.

The Gasparilla Invasion Brunch, includes live entertainment, a buffet brunch with cash bar and reserved table seating for one of the most unique and colorful spectacles found anywhere in the world. Gasparilla Invasion Brunch (Adults: $95, Child: $75) and Brunch/Parade COMBO tickets (Adult COMBO $125, Child COMBO $105) are available on-line (http://www.GasparillaTreasures.com) or by phone (813) 251-8844.

About the Gasparilla Parade of the Pirates: Following another successful invasion by the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, the focus shifts to beautiful Bayshore Boulevard and South Ashley Drive in downtown Tampa. After successfully capturing the Key to the City (once again), the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla celebrate with a victory parade that begins at 2 p.m. at Bay to Bay and Bayshore. The 4.5 mile Gasparilla Parade of the Pirates, which has been presented by Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla annually since 1904, winds its way along Hillsboro Bay into downtown Tampa, with over 140 units – featuring one-hundred three (103) floats, three (3) marching bands and over fifty (50) participating social organizations (i.e. krewes).

The Gasparilla Parade of the Pirates will travel from Bayshore into downtown Tampa. The Parade will cross into downtown over the Brorein Street bridge, turn north on Ashley Drive, and end at Cass Street and Ashley Drive in the heart of the Cultural Arts District in downtown Tampa.

Edited by TampaCruizeFan

As to the question about Gasparilla, the cruise terminal is a 15 or 20 minute walk from the Convention Center where the Jose Gaspar (the pirate ship ) docks. However, it does not dock until 1 PM. And as noted the parade does not begin until 2 PM at a point 4.5 miles down Bayshore Blvd. So, if you decide to wander from the cruise terminal, you most likely will only see a crowd and I mean a crowd, especially along the waterfront.

If you enjoy people watching, you will see a lot of pirate costumes and other characters in the area. Won't be the actual festival, but it might be fun !

We've been to Gasparilla before ... we wanted to just drop our luggage at the Port and then walk to the Waterfront area or to the bridge to see the Flotilla.

Then we would go right back to the Ship and Board.

BUT- what to do with our "Carry on's" is STILL the big question????;):rolleyes::o

Edited by copper6606