Solo Dining on NCL

JetSet2B

I think we need to differentiate between the NCL Epic and a couple of their other newer ships (where they do, if fact, have some hosted services for solos), versus the balance of NCL's older ships (where hosted solo services are generally not offered).

I have sailed both the Jade and the Sun in the last six months-- neither had solo cabins/lounge, but both had a nightly solo meet up with a member of the cruise director's staff which offered the opportunity to arrange dining plans with other solos.

I've spent over 50 nights on NCL ships and can only recall being asked about sharing maybe 3 times, so this appears to be something that is totally up to the hostess on duty and/or the particular ship in question. In other words, you MIGHT get assistance from the hostess in this regard, but you probably can't count on it.

Speaking for myself, I prefer to dine alone, so NCL works well for me. But I don't understand why they don't maintain a "community" table or two where they could seat people (either singles or couples) who want that type of experience.

That seems like a good opportunity to suggest they might like to give thought to having a few community tables each evening. If people are being denied sitting with 'strangers', there seems to be a market and interest in table sharing.

I agree with sail.

Me too. In fact, I suggested having a community table to the hostess, but she quickly dismissed the idea, saying that it might take hours to find eight people who wanted to sit with strangers, and while I might be willing to sit at the table for hours, others probably would not be willing.

When on the Norwegian Spirit with a friend, we were told one night that there weren't any tables for two, and we were asked if we would share a table. We said yes. But we had to wait and wait and wait for six other people to show up and agree to share a table. People kept showing up, but when asked if they would share a table, they would say no and then go to another dining room where they hoped to have better luck in getting a table just for themselves.

Finally, six other people showed up, but as we walked to the table, two of them changed their minds, so the six of us sat at the table and had to wait and wait and wait for two more people to show up and agree to sit with us before the waiter would give us our menus. Of course, it occurred to me that during that time, a table for two had opened up and it was given to people who went to the MDR way after my friend and I did.

I really think that a lot of people who sail with NCL do so because they really don't want to have to eat with pesky strangers.

• 1 month later...

On the Spirit however the NCL person announced over the microphone (it was held in a lounge) that there were several single women looking for men for a hook-up; nice. :o:confused: One women did tell her that was inappropriate.

Oh yeah, I remember that - her name was 1jazzylady!

I am traveling solo on the Star end of November and was considering booking one of the Specialty restaurants in advance. How is one treated there? Are you always seated alone?

If I book, can I change my mind and cancel once on board? Really hoping that I may meet some people while there and torn between locking myself into something or leaving myself open.

Any advice or experiences

Lynda

Edited by kelib

I was on the Epic at the end of August/early September (so a ship with a good number of solo travelers because of the Studios), and one morning when I went to breakfast alone, the hostess was surprised and said to me, "You're eating alone? How sad!"

Not exactly what I expected from a cruise line that embraces solo travelers! :)

I am traveling solo on the Star end of November and was considering booking one of the Specialty restaurants in advance. How is one treated there? Are you always seated alone?

If I book, can I change my mind and cancel once on board? Really hoping that I may meet some people while there and torn between locking myself into something or leaving myself open.

Any advice or experiences

Lynda

I can't speak to being able to cancel onboard, but I ate in Moderno on the Epic, and I was treated wonderfully. I was seated alone, but that's what I wanted, so it was all good! :)

I will say that eating alone had one nice advantage. I ate alone in the MDR for five breakfasts, a lunch, and one dinner and in Moderno for one dinner, and I was seated at a lovely table for two next to the window every single time! It was wonderful! When I ate with groups of other solos I met on the trip, we were always in the middle of the room, far from the windows. I loved eating with the other solos I met, and we always had a great time at meals, but the view was spectacular when I was alone, which was nice.

• 1 year later...
That's what I thought. I am sailing on the Epic in March solo and was just wondering how it would all work. I hope they do sign ups or something.

They have a board in the lounge where you can sign up to whatever is on offer that evening. There is also a daily get together, although attendance tails off after the first few and people form their own groups.

I concur- attendance seems larger nights 1 to 3 and sometimes at the end we would skip it. Once in a while I would do a quick dinner by myself at O Shennans or one time did a solo specialty on night 7. Eager to be on the Escape 2x next year as my last cruise was 10/2014